Time Off...

Friends, I work two part time jobs to try to combat this crazy economy (sp) and I divide every single spare minute to my family, hunting, fishing and a few sips of 90 proof clear liquid, life is good!

I wish I had more time for the outdoors, but life is as it is. The retirement life isn't what it should be.

What is your priority day to day? Hunt? Fish? Family?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my week as a general rule:

M-F I work and come home and play with my little one until her bedtime then I play on TGO or watch TV

Saturday and/or Sunday I either work or do yard work while my wife is at work as long as my child is asleep. If she's not, we play. Then when she lays down I try to hurry through chores. Sometimes I get lucky and can make it out to fish, hunt or shoot. I work a lot but I want to make sure my family is taken care of.

I'm on the road a minimum of five days a week. My weekends are divided between recuperating from the previous week, spending time with my lovely wife, taking care of any issues that may have come up during the week which she couldn't handle and hunting/fishing, as well as mentally preparing myself for the following week. It's tough to juggle things sometimes, but thanks to a strong work ethic and a wonderful partner, for the most part, I am one lucky, contented son of a gun!

:hat:

My days are work filled. Go to work then come home. At home I have other things I have to do then I usually work in the garage on other projects or sculptures. Sunday is my only day off so that's usually spent trying to avoid work and fitting in any shooting or hunting possible.

• Admin Team

So I run a company, and have three kids 5 and under. My wife and I are fortunate that I do well enough so that she is able to stay home with our kids while they are young. There are 168 hours in a week, and I account for every one of them in some form or fashion. Some days I wonder how I've been able to keep the engines lit on my company in this economy. At the same time I think of how wonderfully blessed I am. I don't travel 50 weeks a year like I did when I first got married. I can put food on my table, a roof over our heads and pay my bills and taxes (albeit with some grumbling on the taxes).

I set a simple goal for myself for this year back at the beginning of March when I renewed my license. This year, I'm really going to feel like I got my money's worth out of it. I'm going to do a lot more fishing this year, though a lot of it may be be spring and summer nights out on the lake with a gas lantern. We had a great three day fishing trip last year down Big South Fork, and I'm going to do that again. I'll probably hog hunt in Alabama this year. And, I'll definitely get my money's worth out of my saltwater fishing license in Florida.

My oldest daughter is 5, and she loves fishing. She saw me rigging a pole to use on my paddleboard out in the gulf last week and immediately set out to retrieve her "princess" fishing pole - a close relative of the bream slaying Snoopy pole.

Life is so busy. I may not be as successful as the guy who gets out there multiple times a week and really puts the time in, but I'm going to enjoy all the time I do get to be out there, and I'm going to make a little extra time for it.

My work schedule is pretty nutty but I love my job. I'm off on Mondays and Thursdays. Tuesday and Wednesday aren't too bad. Weekends are hectic and I get very little sleep. Might get to sleep 4 hours on Friday night and 3 on Saturday night. The good part is I'm off from Thanksgiving until around the middle of February first of March. I don't get to do very many recreational activities during the on season, you gotta make hay while the sun shines. As soon as I wrap stuff up at Thanksgiving I spend the rest of deer season in the woods. I don't get to bow hunt anymore which I miss but I just don't have time. It is nice to be able to get so many days in during gun season though. I don't get to fish anymore either, which I really miss. I about went crazy staring at the walls January and February of this year. I did spend quite a bit of time hiking this winter though. I usually spend one of my days off each week running errands and doing domestic chores and whatnot and the other day I try to get out on my motorcycle or do something fun.

Y'all work too much... :)

I work, but only recently have I been over worked. I am correcting that though. I have a good job with a fairly flexible schedule, so I hunt before work some mornings. Fish after work some evenings. My kid is old enough to keep herself, or hunt or fish with me. My wife doesn't complain about me hunting or fishing anymore, she realized that was useless, I just stayed gone more. :)

Monday through Friday I work and then come home to be with my little boy until his bedtime (7PM) then I have dinner with my wife and play around on the internet and go to bed. I work from home 1 to 2 days a week and rarely ever have to work on a weekend or work late. I tend to hunt every Saturday during deer and turkey season. I don't hunt on Sundays so that I can spend time with the wife and baby. I'm very fortunate and have little to complain about and am able to hunt quite a bit.

Guest dthurston

Work M-F, weekends mow, frame out and sheetrock second story, work small home vineyard to make wine in the fall. This week is something special,

my wife's birthday. Taking her to Dale Hallow for the weekend, the she will leave and come home on Sunday. I will remain for the week. :)

Dave

Guest adamoxtwo

Dave I know first hand that you are a busy man! I too am extremely busy. Working full time going to school full time and trying to be a father to my 2 year old son and 5 year old daughter and a husband to the love of my life who takes care of everything so I can take care of them. I have a feeling that the hunting this season is going to be scarce. Hope things get better for you. Being that your time is valuable I would like to work something out on that mount. PM me or call me.

Gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one over burdened here. Sounds like we all need to meet somewhere for a cup of coffee, cold one, and a breath of fresh air!

Well Dave, how far are you from the Mapco Station at exit 24 in Pleasant View? I stopped by there for coffee twice in two days (on the way to and from Marion, Illinois.) and I'd sure be honored to buy you a cup sometime. Far as that goes, I've been known to hit the Pilot over in Oak Grove at exit 89 in Kentucky, too. :cheers:

I don't live too far from the pilot in oak Grove, and probably about the same from exit 24. Here in the next week I should start having alot more free time because I'm going to make some major decision. For example, I was supposed to be off next (from Fort Campbell) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, The boss changed the schedule yesterday, now has me working those three days and now off on Thursday. I have to go through a nut roll now to reschedule other things...I kinda like the idea of going back into retirement!

This working all the time to stay busy and make a few extra bucks is taking away from my Family, Fishing, Taxidermy and all the other things I like to do....we'll see!

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I did some significant reevaluation of my life goals, especially in regards to my work/life balance. For the first time in 8+ years I've quit working 70-100 hours a week(35 last week). So I didn't get to do any hunting this winter.. mainly lack of real estate in Davidson co., knowing people to go out with or where to go. But in March I bought a fishin license and rod/reel for the first time in 15+ years. Been hitting the water like a junkie (sometimes before I go into work at 9a). My wife kinda thinks I'm crazy I'm sure. Fortunately, she likes to fish with me occassionally (just not wakin up early to do it). I'm looking forward to workin alot of the banks of the harpeth and wherever else I can stand off the cumberland until it get's too cold(I was out in that rain yesterday(well under some trees)). Then I'm not taking no for an answer this winter to go huntin!!

Yeah I've had to trade off some good chunk of income, but uhm I don't remember doing anything in my early 20s but working like a pyramid building slave.. and that company probably can't remember my name so....