Don't shoot that bad guy too many times

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's referencing the Bernie Goetz case. This was a big news story when I was growing up.

http://en.wikipedia..../Bernhard_Goetz

Hit the link and read more.

I didn't think anybody would care, much less know the case. Otherwise I would have attempted proper citation. :) If anybody else is interested, it was People v. Goetz, 506 N.Y. S.2d 18 (1986). You can read it at http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/archives/p_goetz.htm . Interesting to read the wiki stuff first and then the case, since the case itself makes little mention of the timing of the shots, who was in danger besides Goetz, etc. While students learn about the legal doctrine of self-defense from this case, Goetz probably just learned that life is a lot less complicated if you don't ride the subway.

My first remembrance (many years ago) of gun instruction was "never pull a gun on someone unless you are going to use it and never use it unless you intend to kill the person" the thought was you do not want the shoote to be a witness in court against you, claiming they had no intention of causing you harm. I guess that reminds me of another old saying ' I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

There is always a chance that a DA will choose to prosecute regardless of the circumstances. Good lawyers are expensive and most of us do not have the ability to hire the best. I personally would mortgage my home and sell everything of any value to hire the best attorneys possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Taurus Pro

If a person is on a severe meth ride then it will most defenatly take more than one or two rounds to stop the threat, I have friends in the Metro PD as well as Brentwood and Franklin PD's and all have told me that when your on a severe meth ride that it is like stopping a bull with armor plating, so i would imagine in a case like that you would have to damn near unload a mag to stop the person.

I have watched youtube videos of coke heads and meth heads being hit with tazers and rubber bullets and not stopping, it took 4-5 rounds of LEO rounds to stop them.

Guest ab28

If a person is on a severe meth ride then it will most defenatly take more than one or two rounds to stop the threat, I have friends in the Metro PD as well as Brentwood and Franklin PD's and all have told me that when your on a severe meth ride that it is like stopping a bull with armor plating, so i would imagine in a case like that you would have to damn near unload a mag to stop the person.

I have watched youtube videos of coke heads and meth heads being hit with tazers and rubber bullets and not stopping, it took 4-5 rounds of LEO rounds to stop them.

Handgun rounds are weak anyways. I expect it to take multiple rounds to stop anyone, excepting headshots, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I started thinking of the situation in Georgia a few years ago in which a bad guy shot a law enforcement officer. Obviously, the chase was on. When a bunch of sheriff's deputies caught up to the BG, he made a fatal error and tried to shoot it out. I have forgotten the exact number, but there were at least 40 bullet wounds in the BG. When a reporter later asked the sheriff why the BG was hit with that many rounds, the sheriff replied, "Because we ran out of bullets." I guess they shot until the threat was over. I thought about moving to Georgia after that so I could vote for that guy.

If indeed he was shot in the back, then that would be what got him prosecuted.

or I think what Thay ment by charging him was he stood over him and put the 3rd round into him ! Could be what Thay where getting at is the man was down and no longer a threat , and there fore should not have shoot him with the 3rd round, now if he was still standing and coming at him I can see the 3rd shot because his life can still be in danger and there was still a threat . Edited by ted
  • 2 weeks later...

This makes a good argument for my 10mm I carry everyday. One ought to do it if it's on target. Especially with my hand loads. 165g gold dots crono'ed at 1475 fps. :) Although my luck I would get the jury that would consider that overkill and make me out to be some crazy vigilantly even if it was only one shot. You know how evil Glocks are, especially black ones... :)

Yep, that's why I got rid of my Glocks and went to M&Ps. My M&P 45 FS is Dark Earth and Black to be less sinister but just as deadly. Stealth deadly.