Gunsite Course in Franklin, TN

I was poking around the web, looking at various training opportunities, and found that Gunsite is conducting their "250 Pistol" course August 13-17 in Franklin, at the Franklin Municipal Complex (whatever that is...I've lived here forever and have no idea).

Course information is here.

Has anybody had any experience with Gunsite? I'm curious to know whether they're as good as I've heard, or if the reputation is a halo-effect based on the reputation of Jeff Cooper.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just forwarded this to the owner of the school I teach for. He bragged about gunsite and claimed he's cover the cost of the other instructors training with "the right schools"

I'm calling him on it :-)

• 2 weeks later...

You should maybe start teaching for a better organization.

His latest email was talking about he just 'bit the bullet" and signed up for Front Sight in Vegas. At least 5K

OH well...

• 1 month later...

Before I joined the po po I thought I knew how to shoot and defend myslef, boy was I wrong. I spoke with a friend who took a similar coarse and the techniques taught were very similar to what they teach LOE. I would highly recommend getting some schoolin in if your finance can allow.

Same here. I have been really looking at getting some training and this looks like a great class. Hate to burn a weeks vacation on it, but not sure when I could get another class like this.

Agreed...what grabs my interest is that compared to taking the regular "250 Pistol" course at Gunsite, it's $425 bucks cheaper, with no airfare, rental car, or lodging needed, plus lower meal costs, comfort of own bed, etc. I'm at the point in my own personal calculations where it seems like too good an opportunity to let it pass.

I followed the link above, and it's probably just my limited cyberskills... Who will the Instructors be?

Gunsite has an excellent cadre and the instruction is top notch. Just curious.

StPatrick makes a good point. Being able to attend close at home is an excellent opportunity and a significant savings

Man, I am struggling with this. It is tough for me to take off two weeks after I take off with the family. I sure am wanting to though.

Anyone else on the fence here? I looked up some reviews on other sites and there is no doubt it is a great class that I NEED.

If I had the funds (unfortunately I don't), I'd jump at this opportunity.

I made the trip to Gunsite a couple of times back in the 90's. While the expense was (to me) significant, the training was invaluable. And being able to meet and talk with Col. Cooper was pretty remarkable.

I don't know how the quality of training measures up currently (which is one reason why I am curious as to who the instructors will be), but I would imagine the standard is still held high.

Having them locally is a true bargain imho.

:2cents:

And in case anybody wonders, the Gunsite course is called 250 because it was assigned a unit of credit by the University of Phoenix. Not sure if that is still in affect.

And prag.....

Reckon you must be a fellow "Orange Gunsite" grad if you talked to LtCol Cooper. I recall he sold API sometime in the early-mid 90s and was "excommunicated" from instructing by the then new owners.

DMark; Kinda a transitional thing, but I have an Orange API Patch. Rich Jee was there and slowing assuming control. Lt Col. Cooper was still involved a bit. He taught his excellent Mindset class during my 250.

Lt.col Cooper and Ms. Janelle invited a few of us over to The Sconce. They were kind enough to give us a bit of a tour, complete with Ms. Janelle brownies, and then we spent a few hours in his "Gunroom" just taking, discussing the world, and of course Guns...

Kinda like being Granted an Audience (afterall..it was Jeff Cooper and I was a dyed-in-woll 1911 junkie at the time...), but with a really down to earth and genuinely nice guy.

The Lt Col was still there when I returned a couple of years later, but was no longer teaching.

Sorry 'bout the drift and reminiscing folks...

.... Lt.col Cooper and Ms. Janelle invited a few of us over to The Sconce. They were kind enough to give us a bit of a tour, complete with Ms. Janelle brownies, and then we spent a few hours in his "Gunroom" just taking, discussing the world, and of course Guns...

WOW...., Just WOW! :up:

Our "Uncle" sent me in the mid 80s prior to a few of going on a side trip to Central America. :shhh:

I was too young and junior to realize how special it was..., to me it was just some more of that good Army training.

I think Clint Smith might have been one of the instructors. I can't say for sure - - - but I recall that he talked so fast that I had to ask him to slow down since I talk and listen in Southern.

What I do remember was the instruction being adjusted since we were some of the first guys to show up with Beretta M9s.

Edited by DMark

WOW...., Just WOW! :up:

Our "Uncle" sent me in the mid 80s prior to a few of going on a side trip to Central America. :shhh:

I was too young and junior to realize how special it was..., to me it was just some more of that good Army training.

I think Clint Smith might have been one of the instructors. I can't say for sure - - - but I recall that he talked so fast that I had to ask him to slow down since I talk and listen in Southern.

What I do remember was the instruction being adjusted since we were some of the first guys to show up with Beretta M9s.

I'm glad our "Uncle" got you there Buddy.

I first met Hershel Davis there as he was rotating to civie life from the Teams, also met and got some great instruction from Ed Head, Bill Jeans, and Bill Murphy.

I did 250 & 260 (shotty). About 1/4 of each class were active duty. In 260 we had a Chief and 2 E-6's from SBU. They had the (at that time not in full civie circulation) Benelli M4's and were wringing out the new H&K's in 45 acp. We had a PJ and more than a few Army gents. Great folks one & all. :up:

LOL on the M9's....great guns btw...kinda different from the predominately single actions of the time. Didn't the Lt,Col call them “crunchentickers"? :pleased: