Who reloads?

Guest Archimedes

Do you reload?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you reload?

Guest Archimedes

There's been nothing going on over here in a while, so I thought I'd ask how many of you do any reloading.

I've been thinking more and more about it and I'd like to try it, but I don't want to invest a pile in it.

~Archi

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

I know a lot of people that do but for me its just not something that I want to get into at this point. If I shot something larger or less plentiful I would reload but as it is, I can buy 9mm in the 100 rnd. Winchester white box for pretty cheap. Not really worth investing in the money just for practice ammo. I can shoot 50 rnds./week for about 6.00 and my time is worth more than that for the hour that it would take me to collect and clean brass, set up, and actually do the work then clean up. Add to that the expense of materials such as primers, powder and bullets and for me at least it's just not economical.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't consider reloading anything other than practice ammo as I certainly would not trust my life to reloads that I or anyone else packed. Too much opportunity for light loads causing FTF issues for my semi-auto., not to mention squib loads, and mis-fires.

Yeah, I do but only to get better accuracy, not to save money. I'm not rich or something, but I have more spare cash to buy rounds than time to save a few pennies.

I only load 308 for my Remington 700 VS.

I'd start with the Lee Anniversary kit. You can pick it up for around $100 and get started. Later you can add goodies like electronic powder scales and stuff.

leekit1.jpg

Guest Loaded247

I've reloaded now for maybe 23 years or so. Actually, the reason I got into it was because one, I got into blackpowder cartridge shooting early, and at that time, reloading it yourself was the only way. Second, a lot of the cartridges I wanted to load were not available anyway.

Anyway, I've won matches with my ammo, so I figure it must be ok..:rolleyes:

For the modern, defensive cartridges, I just purchase ammo, but for my older stuff, my personal reloads are the ONLY ammo I will put in them.

Currently, .56-50 Spencer, .450 Adams, .45 Auto Rim, .45 Schofield (to .455 Webley ballistics), .44-40, .44 Russian, and .38 Long Colt are the rounds that I load. With the exception of the .45 Schofield above, all of the rounds listed above are loaded as blackpowder cartridges. I also load 12 Guage in all brass shells. I've loaded other rounds in the past, but these are the ones that I currently load.

9mm, .38 Special, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 7.62x39 are rounds I shoot in factory loadings...

Guest Archimedes

Thanks, Mars, for the buying tip.

Yeah, with the price of Blazer Brass what it is at WalMart and the online availability of cheap .223/5.56 ammo, I know I won't be able to save much.

However, I'm the kind of guy that likes to do everything himself.

Plus, I've got a buttload of brass that it would be a shame to just toss out.

Most importantly, I want the ability to make my own cartridges in 'emergency' situations.....if you get my drift.

~Archi

I just started reloading myself. I was buying the TN reloads (orange box) but I decided I wanted to reload myself. After loading my first 10 rounds I went to the range and shot one of the best groups of my life. Then I shot 10 rounds of TN loads, let's just say I shot better with my loads :D

I am now reloading for the 40S&W, but will soon be adding 30-30, 9mm and .223.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dotsun
I'd start with the Lee Anniversary kit. You can pick it up for around $100 and get started. Later you can add goodies like electronic powder scales and stuff.

leekit1.jpg

That's what I bought when I started reloading years ago. It's a great little starter kit that I would highly recommend, as well. If you decide you enjoy reloading (or just the money it saves ya) you'll be upgrading some of the stuff. I still use everything except the powder measure (ewww) and the scale.

Guest Terry J

I have been reloading with my dad eversince i was a kid and for myself for the last few years. All of my reloaded rounds were always more accurate than factory and i guess i just trust my own more. Its more of a hobby for me that i really enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest duckriverdave

I just got my second 550B. I have one for small primers and the other for large primers. Since ammo went up, I have started loading 9mm. The days of the cheap CCI 9mms is over. :drool:

drd

• 2 months later...
I just got my second 550B. I have one for small primers and the other for large primers. Since ammo went up, I have started loading 9mm. The days of the cheap CCI 9mms is over. :(

drd

Days of cheap anything ammo related are gone - only for a while. I hope!:)

Guest crytes

I want to learn to reload but first I need a gun that doesn't tell me not to fire reloaded ammo in the manual. Still trying to figure out what my second gun will be. Are revolvers generally forgiving of reloads?

Crytes

I want to learn to reload but first I need a gun that doesn't tell me not to fire reloaded ammo in the manual.

Crytes

I suspect that most manufacturers have the no-reloads part in their manual for liability reasons. The only guns I know of that I wouldn't shoot reloads in are the Lorcin and Glock.

Looks like I'm the odd man out. I reload, and the biggest reason is because it saves me money. .45acp is up to 29 cents a round in the winchester white box. I reload and get it down to a little over 8.5 cents a round. Not to mention the fact that I reload with semi-wadcutters which leave that clean little hole that is so satisfying. If you reload for pistol and shoot a lot I recommend going progressive from the getgo. I'm still on a single stage and its sloowww, but the whole money thing is keeping me from even thinking progressive at this point.

• 1 month later...

+ 1 on the Lee Anniversary kit. Get it from Midway or Cabelas and have it shipped to your door, then open it and toss the scale and powder measure!

While your out and about or ordering online, get a set of calipers (digital or analog), a decent electronic scale and a good powder trickler along with dies for your favorite caliber and get started. Rifle rounds are the best starters as you don't HAVE to crimp and you just throw good equal measures of powder and get them all to the recommended overall length (OAL) and your ready to roll your own.

Also, do not allow for distraction of any kind when reloading, no kids wanting to help, no watching football games, etc. Even music in the background should be minimal. You cannot afford mistakes in this hobby.

I won't disagree with you Rightwinger, but the scale will work OK until you can get a digital one. I know one really heavy-duty reloader who still uses his old Lee balance scale. I never used the volume powder measure though. I don't trust them plus I load for accuracy. A big +1 on the powder trickler.

The volume powder measures are ok to increase your speed IF you get the quality scale and trickler. Never try to throw charges with only the powder measure. If I need 50 grains, I play with my measure to get me to 48-49 and then trickle the rest onto my Dillon electronic scale and I'm always assured of a accurate load to +/- .01 grains!

He also would want one of the new plastic pouring gunpowder holders to catch that first "close" measure then tricke it into it on the scale and then pour it in the cartridge. Throw, trickle, pour...move to press.

Guest Mugster

Thats pretty much what I do. Depending on the powder, I don't have to trickle. I still use a balance scale. I've had real good luck with accurate 2230...I really like IMR powder, but it means alot of trickling. I use a balance scale btw. I never really trusted a digital, but I know they are faster.

Hunting ammo in .223 is over a dollar a shot. I can reload it at about a quarter to half the cost. A 20 pack of federal 60gr nosler partition's is 22 bucks plus tax...It pains me to shoot a dollar+ every pull of the trigger.

Guest Mugster

Anything digital i've ever owned has had some problems. For example, my digital micrometer occasionally just craps out and I have to reset it. So I wind up not fully trusting it and i return to zero after every measurement. Probably would be the same with a digital scale...I just wouldn't trust it too much and it would slow me down with endless re-zeroing. I'm going back to a regular micrometer too, once this digital is unuseable...which may happen pretty quick. I'm not paying $25 for batteries.