For those interested in the blacksmithing/ knife making class

Knife class options  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with the knife we make

• Leave it with my father as a Thank you for sharing his knowledge
    • Draw names for the person who gets to take it home at the end of the day.
  2. 2. Will you be attending? Please click yes for each person in your party so I have an accurate count.

• Yes
    • No

For all those who said they were interested, I talked to my dad tonight about doing a knife making class. We will be doing it July 14th, 2012. That should give everyone plenty of time to clear their schedule for the event. Please note, blacksmithing in the middle of summer it is gonna be hot so make sure to drink plenty of fluids. We will be making a complete bowie/camp knife, but to do so we need to start early. A lot of the knife making process is in the final tempering of the edge, which requires it to cool to room temp. to do correctly, which can take a couple of hours, but should really be overnight. For the sake of the class, we will do the best we can with the time we have. Please post up if your coming, we have a small shop, but if several want to make the trip, we will be as accommodating as possible for everyone. Also please post if you want to just observe, or if your willing to help swing the hammer and hold the steel. We will be meeting at the Food City in Oliver Springs for the drive to my parents place, which is around 20 min away in the backwoods. If needed or wanted I'll be opening my home to those with a long drive so that we can start early saturday morning, without you guys having to drive 3 hours in the very early morning. I have an extra bed, 2 couches and at least one air mattress, plus plenty of space if you have your own air mattress. The list is a recommendation, not a set of rules. Please understand we are not a professional shop, just interested amateurs with a large interest, and a home shop. The list is recommended, but you are responsible for your own safety, so wear what you want.

If you wish to stay with my friday night, please pm for my address and let me know around what time you plan to arrive friday night.

We will meet at the Hardees in Oliver Springs, eat breakfast there, and then head to the shop. Meeting time is 7:30 am, and meeting address will be 528 East Tri County Boulevard Oliver Springs, TN 37840.

My contact info for any questions.

PM me here

Text me at 850-776-8205 I dont answer strange numbers alot, so text is best

Email me at spots.duncan@gmail.com

List of things to bring/wear

- Safety glasses

- Long sleeves

- Long pants

- Boots, or leather shoes

- Bag lunch and supper (No food on site, we will eat breakfast in Oliver Springs)

- Cash for breakfast

Also, there is another thing to discuss. We have two options on the knife. We can make it, and my old man can keep it, OR at the beginning of the day, we can put everyones name into a bowl that will be helping with the project. After it is finished, we draw names, and whoever has their name drawn takes the knife home with them. Please vote on what you want.

Also please understand we are backwoods blacksmiths, our focus is more on useful and function, than good looks. We are trying to give everyone a basis on starting equipment and skills. Below are pictures of several small one day knives we have made for fun. Nice stuff is very possible with more time.

2012-05-13_23-27-32_739.jpg

2012-05-13_23-26-32_581.jpg

2012-05-13_23-26-26_119.jpg

Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

If I am home July 14th, and I should be I will take up to 4 people who meet me at the Car pool lot by the railroad tracks in Mount Juliet. I will supply the Gas It will be early in the morning I will pick you up and drop you off at the Car Pool lot

Guest Broomhead

Depending on whether my wife has to work that day, I may be up for carpooling. I can throw in some fundage for fuel.

Guest Broomhead

I voted that I'd be attending, but my Dad is coming too. But, I can only vote once. So...add 1 to your count.

As the date nears we'll need to work out the carpooling details if anyone from the Nashville area has room for 2.

Edited by Broomhead

I voted that I'd be attending, but my Dad is coming too. But, I can only vote once. So...add 1 to your count.

As the date nears we'll need to work out the carpooling details if anyone from the Nashville area has room for 2.

Ok I'll keep it in mind. I don't need an exact count, just a decent idea.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nysos

Definitely going to try and make this one, sounds really fun. If I am able to come I would be willing to help hold some stuff or whack it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Broomhead

Yep...wouldn't miss it. Give me a rough count and I can bring RR spikes for everyone to give them a jumping off point.

BTW, I don't have good aim with a hammer...yet. But I'd be willing to hold some steel.

Edited by Broomhead