George Zimmerman's Donations Spike on His Return to Jail

George Zimmerman's Donations Spike on His Return to Jail

By MATT GUTMAN, SENI TIENABESO, and MATTHEW ROSENBAUM

Donations to the legal defense fund of George Zimmerman have surged since the accused killer of Miami teenager Trayvon Martin has been ordered back to jail, his lawyer told ABC News today.

Attorney Mark O'Mara said Zimmerman's online defense fund has been receiving about $1,000 a day in donations, but the pace picked up after a judge required Zimmerman to return to jail.

Zimmerman, 28, woke up today in a 9-foot by 7-foot isolation cell in the Seminole County jail today after surrendering Sunday. He was in shackles and wearing a bullet-proof vest after being taken into custody Sunday.

A judge ordered Zimmerman back into custody Friday after prosecutors presented jailhouse tapes of Zimmerman talking to his wife Shelly and allegedly discussing how much money was in his online defense fund. His wife told the court that they had no money to post for bail.

O'Mara said that he will seek a new bond hearing and that the couple intends to apologize to the judge.

"It's not again like they were trying to hide the money or leave with the money. They just had it... and felt like they needed to secure themselves," the lawyer said.

Zimmerman has about $193,000 in his defense fund, O'Mara said, and that about $20,000 has been spent on living expenses, hotels and security. Zimmerman has been in hiding because of death threats.

The amount of the money being donated has spiked since Friday when the judge ordered Zimmerman back to jail, O'Mara said.

When Zimmerman surrendered Sunday, his hair was longer and his face fleshier than when he was charged on April 11 with second degree murder in the death of the unarmed teenager.

His lawyer said that Zimmerman dreaded going back to jail. "He didn't like it when he was there … He's frustrated that he had to prove his own innocence."

The court had been expected today to release jailhouse tapes of Zimmerman and his wife discussing the financial status of the defense fund, but the tapes were not released.

A transcript of one on April 16 conversation shows the couple talking in what the prosecution said was a code meant to hide the amount of money available. For instance, when Shelly Zimmerman says $8.60, she really means $86,000, prosecutors contend.

George Zimmerman: "In my account do I have at least $100?"

Shelly Zimmerman: "No."

George Zimmerman: "How close am I?"

Shelly Zimmerman: "$8. $8.60."

George Zimmerman: "Really? So total everything how much are we looking at?"

Shelly Zimmerman: "Like $155."

Prosecutor Bernard De La Rionda noted Shelly Zimmerman actually meant $155,000.

Zimmerman has waived his right to a speedy trial, meaning that if he is denied bail he could spend nearly two years in isolation as the trial, which is not expected to begin in 2013, progresses.

http://abcnews.go.co...82#.T8z-x8X5CRN

*************************************************************************************

The George Zimmerman Defense Fund is at: http://www.gzdefensefund.com/

*************************************************************************************

Edited by QuietDan

Hopefully this trial will be on the TV!

As entertaining as that may be I wish the media would just find something else to cover.

IMHO the last thing either side needs is another long drawn out "Oj Simpson" style trial.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

If they find any evidence at all, to replace the

junk they probably trumped up. I think he will

get another bail set commensurate to his so-

called wealth. Just to keep him handicapped

properly. Mo money. Hear comes da judge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my opinion may not be popolar but....I think "he screwed the pooch" The dispatcher told him "We don't need you to do that" when he told them he was following Travon. By following Travon he initiated the confrontation. Though his shot may have been legitimate self defence, he started the fight. The stand your ground IMHO doesn't apply to Zimmerman. He did nothing more than give all gun owners a black eye.

I know my opinion may not be popolar but....I think "he screwed the pooch" The dispatcher told him "We don't need you to do that" when he told them he was following Travon. By following Travon he initiated the confrontation. Though his shot may have been legitimate self defence, he started the fight. The stand your ground IMHO doesn't apply to Zimmerman. He did nothing more than give all gun owners a black eye.

His story is he stopped when the dispatcher told him that. He was on his way back to his vehicle. If he didn't verbally threaten, or physically assault Trayvon, he didn't start the altercation. Percieviong someone as following you(Trayvon), does not give you the

right to assault that person.

• Like 3

His story is he stopped when the dispatcher told him that. He was on his way back to his vehicle. If he didn't verbally threaten, or physically assault Trayvon, he didn't start the altercation. Percieviong someone as following you(Trayvon), does not give you the

right to assault that person.

Exactly.

It's unlikely we'll ever hear all the REAL evidence of this incident unless it goes to trial (and I'm not sure it will get that far) but from what has come out, there seems to at least be cause to consider that little Travon was the aggressor here and Zimmerman responded. I'm not saying Zimmerman did everything right here, far from it...but that doesn't translate to being charged with, much less found guilty of murder.

• Like 1

I'm not taking sides here, but "what if" Trayvon felt threatened by being followed by someone? I mean we have a seventeen year old kid walking along minding his business. He is followed by and then approached by Zimmerman. If Trayvon felt threatened and in danger of his own life and/or being being robbed, he had all rights in the world to beat the h*** out of his ACCOSTER, The kid had NO GUN on him, which give him all rights to use his fist. I would do the same if it were me! Follow me around , get out of your truck and approach me in a threatening manner and get similiar treatment! We have to look at both sides of this story!

Dave

Edited by wd-40
  • Like 2

I'm not taking sides here, but "what if" Trayvon felt threatened by being followed by someone? I mean we have a seventeen year old kid walking along minding his business.

Really? Is that what he was doing? Presumption.

He is followed by and then approached by Zimmerman.

Approached? Presumption.

If Trayvon felt threatened and in danger of his own life and/or being being robbed, he had all rights in the world to beat the h*** out of his accoster!

'Rights' to beat the hell out of someone? Accoster? Presumption.

The kid had NO GUN on him, which give him all rights to use his fist.

Again...'rights'? We do know after-the-fact that he had no gun. Funny how things are usually more clear after-the-fact. Therefore, It would be presumptuous for Trayvon to assume that Zimmerman had a gun and to start pummeling him. The first one to initiate contact is the aggressor.

I would do the same if it were me! Follow me around ,

You'd be in jail. I have never heard of a law that allows someone to beat another person for following them around.

get out of your truck and approach me in a threatening manner and get similiar treatment!

Not sure how someone gets out of a truck in a "threatening" manner. Not to mention that Trayvon was nowhere near Zimmerman when Z exited his truck for the purpose of seeing where he went because he had lost him and then heading toward an intersection to establish his location, then returning to his truck.

We have to look at both sides of this story!

Yes, we do. And your look from Trayvon's side is presumption and pure conjecture. All of the released evidence and testimony supports absolutely none of what you have presumed.

• Like 4

It all could be "Presumed", but someone, somehow initated a confrontation. We haven't heard Trayvon's side! Some kind of way "Z" got out of his truck for the purpose of seeing where Trayvon went. Followed him? Stalked him? Then who approached who? Did Trayvon approach Z for the purpose of finding out who was following him? Did Z approach Trayvon to confront him? Was Trayvon scared s******* of Z during this confrontation?

Seems to me Zimmerman is the one in jail....why? If he acted in self defense I doubt he would be where he is today. We all seem to be ok with Zimmerman having an HCP, and stereotyped a teenage black kid wearing a hoodie walking through a neighborhood at night. I questioned it then, and I still question to this day (even after reading all eveidence in this matter) who the real aggressor was. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see when the "movie" comes out. But in my honest opinion, Z is kinda shady!

• Like 1
Guest bkelm18

I'm not taking sides here, but "what if" Trayvon felt threatened by being followed by someone? I mean we have a seventeen year old kid walking along minding his business. He is followed by and then approached by Zimmerman. If Trayvon felt threatened and in danger of his own life and/or being being robbed, he had all rights in the world to beat the h*** out of his accoster! The kid had NO GUN on him, which give him all rights to use his fist. I would do the same if it were me! Follow me around , get out of your truck and approach me in a threatening manner and get similiar treatment! We have to look at both sides of this story!

Dave

Following is not accosting. We can't turn around and shoot someone because they are following us.

I think the Judge/Court should sieze Zimmerman's back account until after the trial. Seems he racking up quite a profit off of this case!

What his attorneys don’t get (Which will be most of it) the victims family will get in the resulting civil suit.

What his attorneys don’t get (Which will be most of it) the victims family will get in the resulting civil suit.

That's exactly why the court should levy his bank account! That and to keep money from being moved around....

• Like 2

If he's found not guilty, then wouldn't that be self defense (since the only two options are murder or self defense)? If it's self defense, wouldn't he be protected by FL law like TN where self defense protects against civil suits?

If he's found not guilty, then wouldn't that be self defense (since the only two options are murder or self defense)? If it's self defense, wouldn't he be protected by FL law like TN where self defense protects against civil suits?

Yes...

"(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution†includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant."

If a person is found to have been justified (either never charged in the first place and/or found not guilty because he was justified) in the use of deadly force than he has no civil liability either; pretty much the same as Tennessee.

My neighborhood has a self-appointed neighborhood watchman named Dennis, older gentleman, retired, friendly, always willing to lend a hand, etc, I think we are fortunate to have him around.

In fact I wish I had more neighbors like him, granted I do not personally know Zimmerman but at least he was making an effort to help keep his neighborhood from going down the toliet, like so many other neighborhoods have, where the scum are allowed to run amock unchecked