WOLF Ammo

Guest Rupertus

Guest Grout

I don't know what the new owners do with it but when it was Guncraft they sold it to commercial reloaders I think.I remember helping clean up before setting up the USPSA matches,we would usualy shovel up 3 five gallon buckets full.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the dirty. I shoot it almost exclusively in My CZ 52 and CZ 83. Never had a problem with the ammo, but it is a mess cleaning up.

I also use it in my 9mm, but I use a Ruger 95, AND that gun will shoot anything.

The price makes it very desirable.

Guest nraforlife

I've never had issues shooting Wolf at Coal Creek, this maybe a policy change to not allow steel case ammo, but unless they check while your shooting how are they going to know?

As I said in an earlier post Wolf is ok. It is cheap and dirty but I ALWAYS clean my firearms after the range so dirty isn't a big thing.

I'm assuming the reason for ranges not wanting you to use wolf is that it's steel cased and would be intermixed. Carry a big magnet and pick all your shells up and problem solved. I keep a big magnet for seperating mine anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darkstar

I saw a post on another forum (I can't remember the link) that explains why Wolf seems dirtier....apparently due to the steel case (this was regarding their .223, not their other calibers) not expanding as the round is fired like a brass cased round will, the chamber doesn't get a complete seal and it causes a lot of the carbon and other gunk to coat the chamber area. The post went on to say thats why sometimes cases jam in an AR if you have been shooting wolf, then switch over to brass before you clean it. Apparently the brass does expand and it seals onto that crap in the chamber, it's not the coating on the wolf ammo that causes the chamber fouling. Don't know if this is correct but it seems to make sense.

Guest Mugster

I found the wolf .45acp ammo to be both very accurate and very consistent velocity wise. It is maybe slightly down on power from the old US ball spec, but not by much. I was very surprised, expecting terrible results.

Their .223 ammo is pretty bad, imo, in terms of accuracy and velocity consistency. So much so that it scares me a little. And its grossly under powered compared to 5.56.

I've found all of the poly stuff to good looking on the outside and well within spec when measuring. All the bullets were crimped tightly.

In terms of dirtiness, it is a little dirtier than some domestic ammo, but not enough to stop a properly lubricated weapon from firing, imo. Thats a non-issue.

While I can not comment on their handgun ammo, I can say without a doubt, their rifle ammo is quality ammo. I have put thousands of rounds through all my rifles with it. For shooting paper it is fine. One rifle has over ten thousand through it and is still operating with the orignal extractor and bolt. Go figure

Same here, only that about 300 rounds the bolt starts to stick and I really hate cleaning it after I shoot. Other than that I use it to plink, hunt or whatever. When I purchase a pistol I will use it.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
I saw a post on another forum (I can't remember the link) that explains why Wolf seems dirtier....apparently due to the steel case (this was regarding their .223, not their other calibers) not expanding as the round is fired like a brass cased round will, the chamber doesn't get a complete seal and it causes a lot of the carbon and other gunk to coat the chamber area. The post went on to say thats why sometimes cases jam in an AR if you have been shooting wolf, then switch over to brass before you clean it. Apparently the brass does expand and it seals onto that crap in the chamber, it's not the coating on the wolf ammo that causes the chamber fouling. Don't know if this is correct but it seems to make sense.

This is correct.

Several people have tried to "melt" the lacquer in various way, and they can't. It's soot, not lacquer, that causes the brass to stick.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest abailey362

shooting the same stuff as price in 9mm a lot lately. good stuff and about the same price/100 as WWb and I don't feed the walmart machine.

I've shot wolf and it's dirty as everyone has said above. The brown bear .223 I got at hero-gear was cheap as wolf and much better IMO.

got some golden tiger 7.62x39 a while back and it runs great and is consistent in both the AK and SKS

• 2 weeks later...
Does this stuff suck?

I want to buy decent practice ammo in bulk but don't won't to buy a bulk load of poo!

.45, .40, 9mm

I have never had any trouble with Wolf.

Shot it it my Glock 23,Colt Defender,Kimber Classic,Bushy M4 and SKS.

From what I could tell it was slightly more dirty but just as accurate as any other target ammo I have used,better than some.

Guest bkelm18

I've never had a problem with Wolf. 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, .45ACP. Never a hiccup. It's dirty and smells but its cost effective.

If you clean your weapon every time you shoot (like you should) you will probablly not have an issue with wolf.

My feeling exactly. I've run around 1000 rounds of 40 cal thru my Ruger P-94 and have had no problems except that I seem to have a little more green buildup in my wallet than with other brands!

I'm surprised by all the favorable reviews of Wolf on here. I've always held off from buying or shooting any because of the bad rap it has, but now I think I'm gonna try some.

if by bad rap you are refering to arf.com, i think that says about what you need to know. it is good stuff. just dirty as said before.

Guest GLOCKGUY

i shot wolf ammo to sometimes and yes its dirty but i love to kick back and clean my guns i dont know why but i like cleaning my gun about as muck as i like to shoot them

Thanks for the input...looks like I'll be trying some Wolf, I haven't found anything else that really compares for the cost. Anybody got any other suggestions for cheap ammo?

I won’t use Wolf in my guns. I shoot several guns when I go and that stuff is just too much work to clean off; especially off the cylinder faces of revolvers.

For range ammo I have never found (even ordering off the net) anything cheaper than WWB from Wal-Mart and I’ve never had any problems with it. I’ve looked at buying bulk from places like Georgia Arms and it’s still more than what I can go down to Wal-Mart and buy.

But if you find a good deal; let us know. :koolaid: