Gun Shop or Gun Show for 1st time buyer?

Guest PapaB

Guest PapaB

I don't currently own a handgun so I'd like some shopping advice. I'm looking for a 9mm to cc once I have my HCP. I've narrowed it down to 3 models from either Kel-Tec, Kahr or Taurus. To get our hands on them, so the wife and I can see which fits us best, would you recommend going to a show or visiting a shop? I'd like to try all 3 at the same place if possible. Also, where would you recommend? I live near Cookeville but travel to Nashville regularly.

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Personally, I think shows are a waste of time and money. Just travel around to a few different shops and I'm sure you'll come across what you're looking for.

I'm in the middle on this one.... since you're planning on purchasing a brand new gun (that's what I gather from your post, at least) I'd probably take BKelm's advice and hit up a shop. That way if you have any problems with it, you know where to go for help.

As for price, I usually see guns about another 5% cheaper (new pricing) at the shows. But, sticker price is usually just the starting point for most of these shops.

When you get into collecting and are starting to look for certain guns no longer in production, then the gunshows become more important.

Best of luck to you!

Guest PapaB

Thanks for the advice guys. I am looking at new guns but I haven't a local shop that has any of the models I want to check out. Once I make my final choice a local shop will order it for me, I just need to see how it fits first.

Aha!! Well then a gun show will definitely give you the opportunity to fondle a bunch of different guns. I'm guessing any show worth it's entry price will at least have the KelTec and Taurus guns you seek. The Kahrs are little more exotic, but most shows still have a good smattering of them throughout.

Personally, I think shows are a waste of time and money. Just travel around to a few different shops and I'm sure you'll come across what you're looking for.

Ditto.

Just save your time and order a Glock.:)

Let's put it this way: gun shops don't charge admission, gun shows do. JMR Gunsmithing in Brush Creek is not too far from you. Call John and see if he has what you are looking for in stock.

Ditto.

Just save your time and order a Glock.:D

Let's put it this way: gun shops don't charge admission, gun shows do. JMR Gunsmithing in Brush Creek is not too far from you. Call John and see if he has what you are looking for in stock.

John is a pretty good guy.

Gunny's Gun Shop is in Livingston. I took my HCP class there. Pretty good people too.

Eastside Gun Shop, Goodletsville gun shop were both real nice.

You might stop some place like Bass Pro Shop at Opry Mills just to look but they are usually high and service is hit or miss.

Guest eyebedam

you could probably check out all 3 guns at Franklin Gun Shop and decide which one you like then get someone 2 order it for you. Franklin is normally pretty high on there guns.

Guest Mugster

While occasional good deals exist at a gun show, its still alot of old boys trying to pull a fast one if they can. Its probably not a good place for a new buyer.

I'd recommend sticking with a reputable gunshop. Hero Gear and the Rabbi from the board and specialty arms & reloaders bench I have some experience with and would recommend. Franklin Gun is ok, but theres no deal there price wise. Although you won't get totally ripped off there, imo.

I have nothing against a guy making a buck. I'd rather pay $20-$50 more for a gun if it means keeping a good gunshop around. Back in the 80's when I growing up, there were no good shops anywhere. The gun show was really the only option, which was scary.

If you have the opportunity to go to a gun show; go.

It will give you the chance to handle all the guns you want to check-out.

As far as prices go all the gun shows I have been to in the last few years have higher prices than the local dealers.

If you are a first time buyer and have a lot of questions I don’t think they will have the time to spend with you at a show that someone in a shop will.

Guest woodsltc

Before you buy anything I would suggest you go to a "range" that rents guns. Then you can rent and fire the different guns you are considering. Just handling them at a gunshop or a gunshow is NOT going to tell you what they are like to shoot --- you need to really shoot them and then decide which you like the best. Then you can shop around (gunshop/gunshow) and find the best price on the gun you liked the best. Otherwise you may spend a lot of money and find out you made the wrong choice. JMO

Don

Edited by woodsltc
Guest GLOCKGUY
While occasional good deals exist at a gun show, its still alot of old boys trying to pull a fast one if they can. Its probably not a good place for a new buyer.

I'd recommend sticking with a reputable gunshop. Hero Gear and the Rabbi from the board and specialty arms & reloaders bench I have some experience with and would recommend. Franklin Gun is ok, but theres no deal there price wise. Although you won't get totally ripped off there, imo.

I have nothing against a guy making a buck. I'd rather pay $20-$50 more for a gun if it means keeping a good gunshop around. Back in the 80's when I growing up, there were no good shops anywhere. The gun show was really the only option, which was scary.

i agree with this and another good thing about buying buy from a good gun shop is if you have problems with your new gun most good shops will help you find out whats wrong where a gun show when you buy it at the end of the weekend they load up and you never see them again

Go to both... as a matter of fact, go to a couple of shows, and as many dealers as possible. Ask people who own the weapons you are considering how they like them, and what to look out for. Go to a few ranges which have rentals available, and see what kind of grip and trigger-action feels the most natural.

If you're pressed for time, the best bet for finding all 3 at the same place will be at a gun-show... but that's not where you'd get the best deal, although the difference we're talking about is on the order of probably only $15-$25... it's just up to you whether the convenience is worth that much.

Guest abailey362

I second finding a range that rents and shooting the 3. There is a wide range in the models you are looking for. If this is your first and only hangun (for the moment) and you want to get the wife into shooting I would stay away from the keltec. They are small, light and easy to conceal and use in a bind, but not fun to shoot boxes down range. It's a good possibility she might get turned off if she doesn't enjoy shooting and you don't want that (like pulling teeth to get my wife to the range)....just my $.02

Guns and leather will let you rent their used guns for 10.00 then if you decide to buy they will take the 10. bucks off and give you a free range session. They have the selection of Franklin but generally are a lot cheaper. Lately though they have been getting steeper . If your getting a taurus check out thr pro 24/7 series. 17 rounds and it feels real good to shoot. I paid 350.00 out the door for mine.

Guest PapaB

Thanks for all the suggestions. There's a gun show down the street from me this weekend. I think I'll stop by and see if I can narrow down my choices any. I don't plan on buying there, I'd rather give my business to a shop that'll be there after the sale.

I agree with Dave and MLTN. Go to a gun show.

Since you are a new gun purchaser you owe it to yourself to see what the lib's have their shorts in a wad over. Good God they almost give guns away out of the trunks of cars at these things. Okay just kidding there.

Gun shows are a lot of fun provided you do not have high expectations on great deals. You can find fair deals but great deals I dunno.

Go and fondle at the show and then go to a gun shop to order what you want.

I dunno where you live so I suggest Rabbi in Nashville, or Phantom6 in Knoxville/Oak Ridge.

Guest 2Old
I don't currently own a handgun so I'd like some shopping advice. I'm looking for a 9mm to cc once I have my HCP. I've narrowed it down to 3 models from either Kel-Tec, Kahr or Taurus. To get our hands on them, so the wife and I can see which fits us best, would you recommend going to a show or visiting a shop? I'd like to try all 3 at the same place if possible. Also, where would you recommend? I live near Cookeville but travel to Nashville regularly.

Thanks for the help in advance.

You say you don't currently own a handgun... if that means this will be your first, your best bet is to buy from a gun shop. Also if this really will be your first handgun you should consider making it a revolver. They're safer and more reliable than a auto, especially for new users. Just my opinion though and as you will see many will disagree.

Guest Glknknox

I agree with the gun shop advice.

I still go to gun shows, but it's to kill time on a slow sunday afternoon, fun to look.

I do occasionally buy ammo from Georgia Arms (canned heat for the win):D

Guest Hawk

I go to both. I have seen dealers at the gun shows who had really good prices on there new guns. It beat my local gun stores by over a 100.00 dollars.

You can try out all the guns at the show and go from there. Take your time.

Guest PapaB

Thanks for all the advice. I went to a gun show last weekend in Cookeville and was pleasantly surprised. The wife and I got to handle several models, including my main 3 choices, and made a decision on which one I'm getting (her hands are about the same size as mine so I wanted one we'd both like). I'll order it from a local dealer once I clear up a medical issue I'm having.

I’ll make the problem larger

Check out your local gun smith – I have bought many guns from my gun smith/friend and they are guaranteed by him –

He buys many guns from the shows in the north west and knows a great deal when he sees one – I have saved money and made money on his guns

Just a thought