Surprised No One's Posted This!

Guest TankerHC

What's wrong with this picture is:

1. You seem to think they moved New Haven to New Hampshire?

2. We don't know if he was open carrying or not. But if he were, every source I can find claims that a CT carry permit allows concealed or open carry, just like in TN (although carry is not preempted for local ordinances and no carry signs also carry weight of law there).

- OS

Sorry, meant New Haven.

Guest TankerHC

I didn't see anything in the article about him openly carrying. Perhaps there is another article that I don't know about. The fact that patrons noticed he was carrying doesn't mean he was openly carrying. I've noticed people CCing when they get out of their cars in the parking lot. I saw one a few months ago as a dad was picking up his kid to put him in the shopping cart. Doesn't mean they were doing something wrong. I'm sure my shirt tail comes up every so often. It doesn't warrant getting 20 police officers drawing down on me and getting condemnation from the handgun carry community. Or maybe it does, I dunno.

Google it, he had the gun in his waistband with the grip sticking out. Thats open carry. Several articles say that Ct. has no law against Open Carry so he should not have been arrested, well the State of Ct would differ with that opinion, based on their laws. Not only is it illegal to open carry (Although a permit allows open carry, other laws seem to supercede the open carry law) but Ct has a pre ban Assault Weapoins Registry AND a Handgun registry.

Edited by TankerHC

Google it, he had the gun in his waistband with the grip sticking out. Thats open carry. Several articles say that Ct. has no law against Open Carry so he should not have been arrested, well the State of Ct would differ with that opinion, based on their laws. Not only is it illegal to open carry (Although a permit allows open carry, other laws seem to supercede the open carry law) but Ct has a pre ban Assault Weapoins Registry AND a Handgun registry.

I Googled it. Read 5 different articles that said pretty much the same thing. The only article I saw that suggested he was openly carrying was on the TTAG website, but that is, once again, speculation and opinion the same as here. There was nothing from witnesses stating that he was openly carrying. I can't disprove a negative so perhaps you can provide a link to the article that has a witness statement that says he was OCing.

I think this was an overreaction once again. I think this is the general attitude of those that live up in New England, "why do people need guns?" Here is an excerpt from another article:

Just because something is legal, it doesn't make it right," Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said at the news conference with Esserman on Wednesday. "Just like we don't want people to go into a theater and yell 'Fire!' we don't expect people to go into a movie theater with a gun."

DeStefano said this may be the right time to discuss prohibiting guns from certain parts of the city.

"Sometimes you don't need a tragedy in order to think about how we can be better and how we can be stronger," he said.

If a nutjob going into a theater and shooting 70 people isn't enough to justify citizens being armed in said theater I don't know what is. The world, once again, has lost its mind.

Guest TankerHC

I Googled it. Read 5 different articles that said pretty much the same thing. The only article I saw that suggested he was openly carrying was on the TTAG website, but that is, once again, speculation and opinion the same as here. There was nothing from witnesses stating that he was openly carrying. I can't disprove a negative so perhaps you can provide a link to the article that has a witness statement that says he was OCing.

I think this was an overreaction once again. I think this is the general attitude of those that live up in New England, "why do people need guns?" Here is an excerpt from another article:

If a nutjob going into a theater and shooting 70 people isn't enough to justify citizens being armed in said theater I don't know what is. The world, once again, has lost its mind.

From the Patch.

"

At 10:11 p.m. on August 7th, New Haven Police were called to the Criterion - Bow Tie Cinemas at 86 Temple Street. Theater management reported a man inside had a handgun on him and was inside either theater 1 or 2.

Officers arrived within minutes and were given the suspect's description. The usher told them at least three patrons had said the armed man was inside, but it was unclear which theater he was in.

The patrons said that the suspect had a gun in his waistband on his back and it was not concealed. Theater 2 was featuring the film 'The Watch.'

From the New Haven Police:

"

When asked about the specific laws surrounding an exposed weapon carried with a permit, Lt. J. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police had the following to say:

"As far as having an exposed weapon, the law is vague. if it causes annoyance, alarm or disturbance it's considered a breach of peace."

Guest TankerHC

From the Patch.

"

At 10:11 p.m. on August 7th, New Haven Police were called to the Criterion - Bow Tie Cinemas at 86 Temple Street. Theater management reported a man inside had a handgun on him and was inside either theater 1 or 2.

Officers arrived within minutes and were given the suspect's description. The usher told them at least three patrons had said the armed man was inside, but it was unclear which theater he was in.

The patrons said that the suspect had a gun in his waistband on his back and it was not concealed. Theater 2 was featuring the film 'The Watch.'

From the New Haven Police:

"

When asked about the specific laws surrounding an exposed weapon carried with a permit, Lt. J. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police had the following to say:

"As far as having an exposed weapon, the law is vague. if it causes annoyance, alarm or disturbance it's considered a breach of peace."

BTW, even if it was concealed (Which it wasnt) in order for movie patrons to have seen it, he would have had to have been printing. Which is also in violation of the law in most states.

BTW, even if it was concealed (Which it wasnt) in order for movie patrons to have seen it, he would have had to have been printing. Which is also in violation of the law in most states.

That is a very subjective law and I don't agree with it. I carry a 1911 and on windy days which the wind blows on my right side it is very obvious that I'm carrying due to the printing from my shirt. That doesn't make me irresponsible or an attention-getter.

The articles I read said it was carried in a holster in the small of his back. For all we know the shirt might have got stuck in between the butt and his body and he didn't notice. That can happen, doesn't make him an idiot or a nutjob.

One time at Outpost Armory, a lady next to me with an obvious northern accent was trying on an IWB. She raised her arms over her head, bent like tying her shoe, and such, asking the dude she was with if he could see anything. I asked if their state was "concealed only" and she said yes and that you can lose your permit just for getting made.

If true/accurate, that's pretty harsh and I don't agree with it either. Makes me glad I live here in the south, where folks got good sense about such things.

Edited by BigK

One time at Outpost Armory, a lady next to me with an obvious northern accent was trying on an IWB. She raised her arms over her head, bent like tying her shoe, and such, asking the dude she was with if he could see anything. I asked if their state was "concealed only" and she said yes and that you can lose your permit just for getting made.

If true/accurate, that's pretty harsh and I don't agree with it either. Makes me glad I live here in the south, where folks got good sense about such things.

She may well have been a Florida transplant. The word is that FL LE can be quite anal about accidentally "exposing" your CCW.

- OS

Guest dfsixstring

I find it odd that he just sat there on his phone while everyone else complied to police commands. I wonder if he was videoing the entire event rather than talking. He was very complimentary of the police in the news article while they were not of him. I have to wonder what his motive is.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S