Considering Small Fixed Blade

I'm looking at several small fixed blade knives for EDC,

I'd like to keep it around or under $30 and 6 or less inches overall. Here is what I am considering.

Benchmark Backpacker Neck Knife

Boker Tom Krein Pocket Bowie

Boker Vox Rhino

Boker Vox Gnome

Cold Steel Hai Hocho Neck Knife

Colt CT450

Colt Baby Clip Point Hunter

CRKT Folts Minimalist Bowie

Meyerco Dirk Pinkerton Wharning

Meyerco Law Dog (This is actually 6.5")

If I run a cross a Becker BK11 or BK14 for under $30, those would be considered as well and most likely would be my top choice, but they are just a bit over my cut off price.

You all look the list over and pick which one you like and why.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boker Tom Krein Pocket Bowie

CRKT Folts Minimalist Bowie

Meyerco Dirk Pinkerton Wharning

Meyerco Law Dog (This is actually 6.5")

Becker BK11 or BK14.

Not gonna write a review of each one, but have all the above. Have both Bowie and Wharncliffe Minimalists. Actually, sold my BK11 for exactly 30, still have the Eskabar.

I like them all but I carry the LawDog. Even had a better sheath made for it, although the one that comes with it is adequate. Found that it is best all around for size, grip, etc for urban concealed daily carry. I'm comparing all of them as neck knife usage, though, also thinking last ditch self defense ahead of backup utility also.

If gonna be a pocket carry, I frankly don't see any overall advantage over a good folder. The other main consideration is that with small fixed blades, the sheaths are almost as important as the knives. What works for a necker may not work so well for pocket, and only a couple of the ones I mention have a belt type retaining option, although with any that use off setting hole rivets you could use paracord loops.

Anyway, if you want to make effort to see the ones I have in person gimme a holler.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Thank you, OS! I might take you up on your offer. It's going to be for defense/utility and just for a day to day edc change up. As for carry method, I've stated before that I'm not a big fan of neck carry. It would depend on a lot on how the shirt I wore covered it up. A small flat knife like the little Colt CT might be comfortable between the man boobs, but the rest of the list, I feel, is a little too thick to conceal under a shirt. So I probably will pocket carry whatever I purchase.

Grout, I really like the Beckers. I think they are really solid knives that are at home in the bushes, as much as they are on the city streets. But I am not a plain steel lover. I'd have to have scales for either of them and that's where they get expensive. Scales for either Becker are another $20 to $25. Actually, if I were going to spend that much, I'd probably have to consider a Esee Candiru or Izula. The knives are a bit more expensive, but the scales are bit less.

I like the idea of a belt clip. The Tom Krein, and the Folts both accept clip attachments as does the Becker.

I love the idea of neck knives and still have one of the half dozen I've bought over the years. I just can't get used to them under my shirt.

Personally, I prefer a tip-up pocket folder, like the Kershaw Leek. However, I like the looks of that Boker Plus Rambler a LOT. I didn't realize I needed one of them, thanks Mykltn. Of course, first thing I'll have to do is make a horizontal leather holster for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, went to SMKW's today and picked up a Colt Baby Clip Point Hunter. For the money it was more like what I was looking for. The fit and finish are quite good for a cheap knife. It could and will be sharper this evening. That will give me some idea of what kind of knife it is. I was not able to find out what kind of Stainless Steel they use. I believe it is made by United Cutlery under the Colt Brand. It's a light knife but the grip feels good in my hand. I tried out the Boker Rambler, but it was a bit more skinny and wasn't as comfortable in my hand. One thing I liked about the Baby Hunter is it can take a lanyard. I think I will make a box lanyard for it, out of 550 paracord. That will extend the grip a bit more and make it more stable in the hand. I may also make a leather pocket sheath for it, like what comes with the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. The sheath that comes with the colt is a basic nylon sheath with a plastic liner in it. It can be carried on the belt or hand from a lanyard via a ring on the end of the sheath. It's light and retains the knife securely and seems to be well made.

http://www.smkw.com/...ndle/CT424.html

If I like carrying a small fixed blade, then at some point I may step up to a ESEE Candiru or Izula. I really liked both of these, but they were more than I was welling to pay at the moment. One of those may end up as a Christmas gift to myself, along with a set of scales.

Edited by Moped
Guest ThePunisher

The Benchmade Bone Collector 15000S- a small skinner with blade less than 4". I picked this little light weight fixed blade up last week, and it's a really neat knife. Comes with a leather sheath for $89.00 at Green's Military and Police in Donelson.

Edited by ThePunisher