New boot advice

Sniper23

I'm in the market for a pair of new boots. I will be wearing these quite often and possibly even hunting sometimes. I already have hunting boots though. I'm just looking for good suggestions for new boots that won't break the bank. I'm hoping to keep it around $150 or less. I'm even looking into military boots. I want something comfortable and somewhat breathable, other than that I'm open for suggestions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunting boots and every day boots are not going to be the same thing. If I wore my 800gr Thinsulate Irish Setter hunting boots every day I'd have to pour the sweat out when I pulled them off. I wear Red Wing boots every day, but I don't do any actual manual labor so my opinion may not count for much.

If you have narrow feet and wear about a size 12 I've got some insulated Gore-tex Danner combat boots I could get rid of.

Edited by JeffL

I still wear my old issued Army Altama boots from a long time ago. I'm guessing I'll still use them for at least the next decade. I'm sure you can find a good pair on the cheap at an Army/Navy surplus store. If you happen to be passing through a military town in the future it is something to take advantage of since you can find some pretty good deals at the surplus store.

I still wear my old issued Army Altama boots from a long time ago. I'm guessing I'll still use them for at least the next decade. I'm sure you can find a good pair on the cheap at an Army/Navy surplus store. If you happen to be passing through a military town in the future it is something to take advantage of since you can find some pretty good deals at the surplus store.

This ^^ a good pair of Jungle boots and a pair of jump boots you should be good to go

This ^^ a good pair of Jungle boots and a pair of jump boots you should be good to go

Well, I wouldn't be taking my Corcorans out in the bush. Jump boots are much a formal design nowadays and don't break in as well as modern day combat boots. With the deserts they issue now, they are GTG almost right out of the box, unlike the black leather boots that required soaking in water then wearing around the barracks/sleeping with them for a while before one would even consider the notion of strapping a ruck on and walking any distance with them. I've had an expensive pair of jump boots for a long time now, and someone literally has to die before I will put them on.

I tried these on before I bought my last pair (ended up going high end). If I were in the market I'd seriously consider these. They felt great, better than any boot I've ever put on, out if the box. I can't speak to durability though

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Under-Armour-Ridge-Reaper-Hunting-Boots/productDetail/Hunting-Boots/prod999901358612/cat101537

One word

Danner

I have two sets of Danners. One are civilian hiking shoes, low cut w/o ankle support. I have another set of military style desert Danners. Both are indestructable and keep moisture out. Only draw back is when they get wet, they get wet. Once that water comes over the top of that boot, game over. Getting them to dry out is a much longer process than with my other lighter, less water resistant boots which usually dry themselves just by wearing them. They are also pretty hot to wear the full height Danner boots in the summer.

Well, I wouldn't be taking my Corcorans out in the bush. Jump boots are much a formal design nowadays and don't break in as well as modern day combat boots. With the deserts they issue now, they are GTG almost right out of the box, unlike the black leather boots that required soaking in water then wearing around the barracks/sleeping with them for a while before one would even consider the notion of strapping a ruck on and walking any distance with them. I've had an expensive pair of jump boots for a long time now, and someone literally has to die before I will put them on.

Haha lol I knew that was gonna get a comment or two My jungles are my favorite and most comfortable by a longshot but they are very worn in and are just horrible against cold weather on the other hand my Jumps are about the toughest things I have lol but your right as far as wearing them in the process sucks but to me worth it . Honestly Ive got a pair of Tanker Boots aswell that are really comfortable but I feal like a tard with all the velcro looking straps :ugh: lol . But as for the actual boots I think just Mil. boots in general are better for me. I just cant make my feet feel right in a different boot My wife got me some hiking boots and lord knows she spent a pretty penny but I just cant make myself like them I guess its all in ones taste. I also agree with the other fella Danner :up: Cant go wrong there either

PS . If any where near chattanooga they have great deals at a place called beckys boots or at least last time I was out near hixson they did a couple years back they refurbish old boots to so If you have a pair or two that are near and dear to ya thats a great place to go if they are still around

Edited by plank white

Danner used to make really great boots but now I have lost confidance in their newer stuff. I never found it functional to have one pair of boots for multi season or tasks. I have my summer boots, ones with Gore-Tex for fall or early winter and then insulated ones for winter. Right now I am using Oakly for summer, Lowa, Merrell and Keen for fall and winter.