NEW S&W M&P 15 SPORT

FX4F150

Ok fellas,

After long deliberations and reading through all of the posts, i decide to hunt and buy one of these highly talked about toys. Now i need stuffs! Without ordering, does anyone know where i could pick up a 22 conversion kit so me and my boys can play this weekend? Also, after reading a few other posts, i noticed that there were a few veterans ,to ARs, who like to tinker. I have several tools that i bought for my last AR to take it apart to better understand the rifle, but i am not certain i want to venture into this one like that and i want to change a few things and need advice. One big question..i want to change the front sight/block to a low pro block and change the rail from carbine to mid length. I am pretty certain this is possible, but i want to get verification from any "experts", "verterans", or "now-it-alls". Basically anyone other than me.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The M&P Sport is completely capable of modding. I've seen several people just cut the site post off with a Dremel and use the gas block as a lo-pro. Not my style, but it does work. The FSB pins are notoriously difficult to get loose, but once you get those pins out, the sky is the limit on what you can do.

Bottom line, it's an excellent platform to start from. You could very easily turn your $600 rifle into a $1200 minus a dust cover and forward assist, and have every toy and "upgrade" available in the Grown-Up Lego Arsenal. The only reason I didn't do this with my last rifle is that I prefer mid-length gas, which would make me change out the barrel, and the barrel on the Sport is a HUGE value in it's stock configuration.

Mac

Ok fellas,

One big question..i want to change the front sight/block to a low pro block and change the rail from carbine to mid length. I am pretty certain this is possible, but i want to get verification from any "experts", "verterans", or "now-it-alls". Basically anyone other than me.

Yes, this is real easy to do. Just let some oil set on those front sight pins that hold the gas block in place and use a punch to knock 'em out. Make sure you're doing it in the right direction. The only go in/out one way as the pins are tapered. A light tap tap tap will loose it a bit and then it'll pop out with one good smack.

I thought heavily about going to a mid length gas, but for the money, this will work perfectly. I thought for certain we had SEVERAL members here who bought this rifle and would chime in.

I got one, but only put on a quick release cheap 3-9 scope and a short rail into existing forend for bipod and called it good.

- OS

I figured it would be simple for some. I'm not certain if i trust myself enough to keep it from the dummy marks...but gotta break it in someday. So, i can get a low pro block and middy free float rail and it should clear the block?

Yes. In fact that is exactly what I plan on doing to one of my uppers next month. I've just been looking around for a good cheapo FF rail to put there.

So, i can get a low pro block and middy free float rail and it should clear the block?

It get's a little more involved with a FF handguard. Most require removing the barrel and replacing barrel nut. The "drop-in" two piece kind sometimes requires cutting off the delta ring.