Most historically signifigant handgun?

charlessummers

There are no wrong answers here... but out of these three, and feel free to add your own, which do you think is the most historically signifigant?

So, one of them is a rifle. Still...

1. The pistol that was used to kill Lincoln?

2. The pistol that Hitler used to kill himself?

3. The rifle that was used to kill Kennedy?

Just wondering... as I was also wondering what happened to the pistol that Hitler shot himself with?

My thinking is the pistol that Hitler killed himself with. I'll explain why later. I want to hear your opinions.

I'm going with option #4 here: FN Model 1910, .32 cal, serial number 19074

This was the pistol used to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand and set off a chain of events that would result WWI, and set the stage for the rise of Hitler and WWII. Certainly I believe these are more historically significant due to the fact that events were caused by this pistol that actually shaped history, unlike the pistols used to kill Lincoln and Hitler.

The reason why those are not too historically significant:

Hitler: Let's face it; Hitler was done for anyway. The fact that he shot himself didn't change the course of history. He would have been killed during the capture or the Russians would have hung him in short order.

Lincoln: If he had been assassinated a year and a half prior I believe it would have been the singlemost historic shot in American history, as there is a good chance that would have altered the outcome of the Civil War. However, JWB shot him after all was over so it didn't really impact anything. If Lincoln would have croaked from a heart attack the same day or continued to finish out his term I don't think history would be much different. Maybe the North wouldn't have taken out so much of their anger on the South if it weren't for JWB, but I'm thinking it wouldn't have mattered. They were pretty pissed either way.

Kennedy: I don't know how much it would be different if Kennedy wasn't assassinated. I'm sure there would be a different line of Presidents we'd be looking at today, but more significant than the one that killed Archduke Ferdinand? No, I don't think so.

• Like 3

I was about to type the same thing TMF. Up until WWI most wars were small scale skirmishes in comparison. That assasination resulted in millions upon millions of deaths. It also resulted in a major shift in the world politics and ways of thinking. People were turned into billionaires over night as a result of WWI and the face of politics changed because of their control.

Had Ferdinand had not been killed the world we live in today would be a very, very different place.

Dolomite

I disagree. The killing of Ferdinand set off the war BECAUSE the whole of europe had been making threats and escalating toward inevitable war for decades. If he had not been shot, the dates would have changed, but little else. Might have had slightly different setups of allies and enemies in WWI depending on who was allied with who when the music stopped.

I disagree. The killing of Ferdinand set off the war BECAUSE the whole of europe had been making threats and escalating toward inevitable war for decades. If he had not been shot, the dates would have changed, but little else. Might have had slightly different setups of allies and enemies in WWI depending on who was allied with who when the music stopped.

Perhaps conflict was inevitable, but the act itself was the spark on the powder keg. Can't say that Hitler shooting himself or Lincoln being assassinated changed history significantly. Maybe Kennedy being killed altered our line of presidents, but Vietnam, the civil rights movement... that was already on its course.

Not mentioned, likely not a historical worthy gun, but has had a significant impact on us U.S. citizens wanting to purchase a handgun, the gun that shot President Reagan and the wake of new legistlation that followed years and decades later, i.e. Brady bill, back ground checks, etc. http://en.wikipedia....ination_attempt, basic outtake: Hinckley fired a Rohm RG-14 22 cal blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

One could say that an earlier event such as the first shot fired during the Revolutionary War would have a greater impact because it reflects all events afterwards. Let's face it, if we never would have become a nation we wouldn't have even had those presidents. I'm just saying the earlier the event the more time it has to reflect the effects.

I'd guess that the most historically significant handgun, to my mind, would be the first successfully used one (so black powder, muzzle loader, single shot.) Without it, the others mentioned might never have existed.

Now, if you want to talk historically significant firearms, I'd probably go with the first of the old, medieval 'pole cannon' type weapons. The advent and deployment of these meant that common peasants could be taught to fight and used to good effect. Archers were still probably more effective, at the time, but training and outfitting a good archer required an investment of much more time and energy than training a couple of peasants to 'point this end at the enemy and fire.' Further, such firearms changed the face of the battlefield as they began to make suits of armor almost obsolete - peasants (who in the sense of political/financial and training were 'cheap' and plentiful) could take out a knight in full armor (who was an 'expensive' troop.)

Otherwise, as far as most historically significant event connected to a single firearm, the first thing that came to my mind was also the assassination of Ferdinand. The war might have happened, anyway, but the way it did happen made that .32 pretty darned significant.

Edited by JAB

Pretty difficult question to answer I think...as soon as you come up with one suggestion there are probably a dozen others with equally significant historical worth.

It's a bit like asking which founding father is the most important to the founding of our country...we simply wouldn't have the country we have if all of them weren't a part of the process!

Like JAB said, I'd have to say the most historically significant handgun in history would probably be the "Hand Gonne" which in and off itself wasn't all that effective, as it was just basically a minitureized cannon tube with a small stone or lead slug crammed down on top of a bit of black powder, which was touched off with a lighted piece of twig or rope, but the principle of a hand held cannon was born and the hand gun continues to be used worldwide to this day, heck even the Hand Gonne name is still in use as a general term.

Without the "Hand Gonne" Ferdinad might have to have been stabbed, pushed out a window or poisoned or maybe even bludgened to death.

Like JAB said, I'd have to say the most historically significant handgun in history would probably be the "Hand Gonne" which in and off itself wasn't all that effective, as it was just basically a minitureized cannon tube with a small stone or lead slug crammed down on top of a bit of black powder, which was touched off with a lighted piece of twig or rope, but the principle of a hand held cannon was born and the hand gun continues to be used worldwide to this day, heck even the Hand Gonne name is still in use as a general term.

Without the "Hand Gonne" Ferdinad might have to have been stabbed, pushed out a window or poisoned or maybe even bludgened to death.

crossbow ....

I would agree with the Lincoln assassination. Had he survived, the history of the United States would be quite different. His death effectively ended the Reconstruction era, put Andrew Johnson in the White House, and set the stage for a very bitter and troubling post war era that still lingers today.

I think about Tokerev pistol that Nikita Khrushev brought to Soviet Politbureau meeting to arrest Lavrenty Beria. Beria had all means to capture supreme power after the death of Stalin. Beria was determined to start global nuclear war. Khrushev was determined to prevent it. Beria was executed. The war did not begin.