Bookshelf to hide your guns

jeffmem

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the magnetic locks. My wife has been wanting me to build an entertainment center for basement, and she has been complaining that if someone comes through front door and she is in basement there are no gun storage spots down there. That has some really interesting ideas.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I like that a lot. Great idea well executed.

As to building it yourself... This just might be one of those instances where if you have to ask, your probably already in trouble.

I wonder what they cost to just buy? They'd have to be a pretty penny before I would even think about breaking out the tape measure.

My dad and I once built a piece with a drawer in the toe kick. It would only open when you used the magnetic "key" to pull it out.

Only picture I could find at the moment:

othericon.jpg

To answer the OP's question, difficulty is relative to experience and availability of the proper tools. Materials and hardware are readily available. I happened to notice Rockler sells these magnetic locks, though I've never used them, Rev-a-Shelf typically makes good products. As with any custom piece, most of your time goes into design and engineering. Love the idea, though.

A customer of mine asked me to build a new top for this table:

2012-09-16_11-21-59_588.jpg

I'm considering boxing in the skirt area underneath and discreetly hinging the top to make a "hidden" storage area or giving access from the side, so you don't have to move everything off the top to gain access.

Edited by jtluttrell
  • Administrator

When you find out let us know, a Nice TV entertainment center similar to that would be real nice.

TVs are one of the first items stolen during most home robberies. I'm not so sure I'd want to hide my guns there just because the ransacking might make their presence apparent to the thieves.