beer snobs

Guest nysos

I am starting to turn into one. Ever since my friend at work got me drinking craft beers and high gravity beers. Now, on the rare occasion I go out - I look at the beer list and try and figure out what I can settle with. A few years ago what I would have considered to be a darker, fuller flavored beer, I find myself thinking "eh? I guess this will do".

Who else is willing to admit they are a beer snob?

Edited by nysos

OH OH.. I like Beer.. but the alcohol not so much..

So I drink O`Doules once in a while..( I know .. thats not even beer anymore.. ..lol..)

I grew up in Germany so Becks was always at hand in our house...

I do prefer Dark or Bock Beer...

Lagers.. not so much..

I am always wanting to try new beer but afraid that it will suck and I wasted money on it..

Edited by Sour Kraut

I am always wanting to try new beer but afraid that it will suck and I wasted money on it..

I get most of my beers from liquor stores now. Most micro brew craft beers and high gravity beers will have a description of the flavor on it. Some places even have tags with a beer score, kind of like many wines. They will describe the flavor so you have an idea of what to expect. Using this method I got into it with the lighter beers then worked my way up. Now, I can drink just about anything it is just a matter of if I like the flavor or not. The only thing I don't really handle is any really hoppy beer, but it has been a while since I have visited that style. My palette has changed so much I might enjoy an ipa or 2 now.

I am a beer snob. I prefer the local brews for sure (Downtown Brewery, Saw Works, Etc) but I like the bottled micros from around the country. A lot of times I just get Miller Lite though, not because I like it, but because I have to watch the calories.

When I have a beer with my meal, it is some form of domestic church beer, like the aforementioned Lite. When I am going to go beer drinking, I go with snobbery, and just don't eat at all, drawing all my calories from the beer instead.

I hear ya on the calories, luckily my wallet helps dictate how much I can drink. I have become fond of the russian imperial stouts, and some of those are like pouring syrup into a cup they are so thick. I am pretty sure I have taken in more calories from beers like that than I would in a normal meal.

Yuengling, Fat Tire, and Shiner bock is about as cheap as I will go - only if they are on draft. Miller lite, bud lite, etc. I won't touch. Even before I became a snob, I would almost exclusively drink yuengling or shiner with an occasional light beer as the exception. No longer.

My frig is empty, and today was pay day. Going to the store tonight to pick up some belgium beers. Going to a beer tasting get together tomorrow and belgium is the theme.

BTW, Chimay red is FANTASTIC, if you like belgium beers I strongly suggest you pick some up.

My frig is empty, and today was pay day. Going to the store tonight to pick up some belgium beers. Going to a beer tasting get together tomorrow and belgium is the theme.

BTW, Chimay red is FANTASTIC, if you like belgium beers I strongly suggest you pick some up.

Chimay Blue is even better! And one big bottle is about all it takes.

• Administrator

Chimay Blue is even better! And one big bottle is about all it takes.

Agreed. Blue is my favorite. I have two Chimay goblets in my cabinet from the last tasting I went to. Nice little party favors and I use them exclusively for Trappist and Lambic style beers. They need the wide mouth to breathe.

I'll play. I've become something of a snob too I guess. Blackstones nut brown ale is a favorite. Calfkiller out of Sparta makes some great IPA's. Jackalope on 8th near Division is also quite tasty. Out of North Carolina, I really like Mother Earth oatmeal stout. Plenty of other craft and micros I enjoy too. Yuengling is my preferred choice if I gotta drink those kind of beers. Stella is also good.

Oh and for the Sam Adams fans, try the Latitude 48

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by blewbayou

Huge beer snob here. Turned my wife into one when we were dating. My fridge is a beer mecca. :)

Currently on hand:

Left Hand Oktoberfest

Highland Brewery Oatmeal Porter

Highland Brewery Black Mocha Stout

Magic Hat Hex

Laughing Skull Amber Ale

Good Choices!

Dave S

Standing before the group. YES I AM A BEER SNOB! Use to drink Bud, Coors, Miller. Just about anything. Now if all tastes like bad water. As i write this, I am drinking a Sam Adams, Octoberfest. Cheers

That's good stuff!

Get you some "Shiner Octoberfest"...AWESOME!

I get mine at Krogers

Dave S

• Like 1

Hell, I even think Sam Adams tastes like low-grade dishwater. Never have liked the stuff.

I used to not care much for beer - was much more a whiskey kind of guy. The only way I could develop a taste for the stuff was I found one that I liked (St. Pauli Girl) and went from there. I finally got to the point I could drink Budweiser, etc. but never enjoyed those as much as the imports/craft beers. Yuengling is pretty good, though - especially their Black and Tan.

Does Pete's Brewery (Pete's Wicked Ale, etc.) not distribute in the Knoxville area, anymore, or have I just not seen it lately? At one time it was one of the most available 'premium domestics' around here and I really liked a lot of their brews.

A buddy of mine took a business trip to Wisconsin a couple of years back and brought back a few sixpacks of a beer called "Spotted Cow" from the New Glarus brewery. It is a cask-conditioned ale so it is cloudy (think hefeweizen.) Delicious. Unfortunately, they only sell in their region so I can't get anymore and probably won't be able to for a while.

There is a beer called 'Monk's Cafe Sour Flemish Ale', brewed in Belgium, that is just downright different - and quite delicious.

Skull Splitter and Arrogant Bastard are probably my two favorite, higher alcohol beers.

There is a beer out of Louisiana (from the Dixie Brewing Company) called Blackened Voodoo Lager. I admit that I originally bought it (years ago) because of the cool name and label. I still buy some, occasionally, because I like it. It is pretty expensive, though, and I don't enjoy it as much as some imports (some of which are actually less expensive) so I don't buy it all that often.

I don't care for Fat Tire but I do like - and I mean really like - New Belgium's 1554 black ale. Another favorite (that I haven't had in a while, come to think of it) is Sierra Nevada Porter. Until recently, I hadn't had Grolsch in years so I decided to pick up a four pack. Yep, still good. I have had a couple of different beers from the St. Peter's Brewery (which come in bottles shaped more like old medicine or whiskey bottles than 'normal' beer bottles) and they are quite good. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is one of my all time favorites but I haven't had one of those in some time, either (dang, looks like a trip to the store is just about in order.)

Mackeson's Triple Stout is also really good. It has 'tones' of creamy chocolate and is actually classified by many as a dessert beer. I think it is Left Hand's Milk Stout that reminds me a lot of it.

Any of you guys ever tried a 'Rauchbier'? "Rauch" (as I am sure Sour Kraut already knows) is German for 'smoke' so Rauchbier is, literally, smoked beer. I have had one that was just okay and another that was really good (and would have been excellent with barbecue.) Sorry, don't remember the brands and haven't seen Rauchbier in this area, lately. Come to think of it both of the ones I had might have come from beer stores I hit when I was visiting Nashville at one time or another.

I enjoy most types of beer other than IPAs as long as they are good beer. My favorites are the darker beers (especially Porters) and cask conditioned, hefeweizen or similar. Lately I have realized that I kind of like good ciders, too.

I have pretty much quit drinking while I am 'out'. I never really enjoyed drinking in public all that much, anyhow, and now I'd rather carry and not drink. Further, I have realized that I can buy a sixpack of good, import beer for what a couple of Budweisers would cost me at a restaurant. I had some health issues a couple of years back and don't drink nearly as much beer (or any other alcohol) as I once did so now I am all about quality. If I am only going to have a couple of beers a week then they are going to be damn good ones.

Edited by JAB