beer snobs

Guest nysos

I've not, though there are very few lagers I like - definitely an ale guy. Generally into stouts and porters.

I'm with you, but I have a soft spot for a good pilsner. Pete's Wicked used to make the best pilsner I' ve ever tasted.

I too started out with the cheap stuff. Then I discovered micro/craft brews.... mmmmmm. The "pick 6" at the grocery store is genius! Why drink 6 of the same beers when you can have 6 different ones? This is my favorite beer time of year... all the fall seasonal brews and Octoberfest stuff, it's great!

Edit... and I've converted my wife too. Years ago she hated beer. I found a couple craft beers with a chocolatey taste and that was all it took. Our tastes are pretty similar though I like darker stuff, as long as it's not bitter.

I like the "Pick Six". Gives you a chance to try different beers! AWESOME!! I get mine at Krogers!

Dave S

I too am a beer snob, buy almost all my beer from the liquor store. In the fridge right now I have:

Dogfish Head 90min

Terrapin Hopsecutioner

Red Brick HopLanta (meh)

Sam Adam's Oktoberfest

Love me some Gulden Draak, Old Rasputin, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, etc as well.

I'd rather be sober than drink nasty beer.

Edited by JeffL
  • Like 1

Nope. I was in GA on business and bought as much as I can find.

Ahh, I figured it was something like that. Hopefully DFH will be able to ramp up production so they can start distributing in TN again at some point. I sure miss IPA90 and the IBA...

I have worked in North America, South America, Australia, Europe, and Asia and have tried as many different beers as I could get my hands on and enjoyed many. Also had some pretty bad ones.

My favorite, at the number one spot on my list, is Xingu from Brazil. The problem is, I can rarely find it. Maybe that's why i find it so special.

A friend in the Netherlands used to get a Belgian Trappist Monk beer that is only sold at the monastery. Something like 10% alcohol. I only got to sample it a couple times because it's very difficult to obtain. Awesome beer but it doesn't count because it's unattainable.

I have toured the Amstel brewery in Amsterdam. Interesting tour but the beer's a bit weak for my tastes.

If you ever go to Australia, don't order a Fosters. Victoria Bitter is what most Australians drink. Fosters is "tourist beer". Order it with a plate of roo. Sheaf Stout is pretty good there.

I noticed JeffL mentioned Old Rasputin Stout. An excellent brew. With a kick. About the only bad thing I can say about it is that it comes from California.

Snobby enough?

Guest pfries
but just haven't gotten one of those round tuits you hear so much about, yet.

Just For you JAB, treasure it the nice ones are hard to come by...

Round_Tuit_Silver_Plate_original.jpg

Edited by pfries

The aftermath of the beer tasting I went to over the weekend.

BTW, cant wait for goose island brewery to start distributing down here. We had about 4-5 different beers from them and every one was great.

375951_429955957067054_1036785871_n.jpg

Edited by nysos

I loved the Abita tasting in Abita Springs, LA. Every Saturday, free, and self-serve. My and me buddy would start out at Heiner Brau in Covington for an hour, which was also free, and hop over to the Abita brewey which took about ten minutes. I'd down as many turbodogs as I could before they'd start they actual tour and by the time everything was down we had ourselves a pretty good buzz goin all for free.

If you are around Knoxville check out the Casual Pint of of Papermill. 400 different Beers and not one sign of the big three around. Great place.

+1. Also check out the Beer Garden and Barleys Downtown.

Also, Aubreys has 30 beers on tap and the majority are microbrews. If you go on Tuesday all the drafts are half off.

+1. Also check out the Beer Garden and Barleys Downtown.

Also, Aubreys has 30 beers on tap and the majority are microbrews. If you go on Tuesday all the drafts are half off.

Do y'all remember Barleys before they got started serving liquor? It was a beer Mecca, it's a shame it's changed.

I'm gonna have to swing in the casual pint and check them out.

Do y'all remember Barleys before they got started serving liquor? It was a beer Mecca, it's a shame it's changed.

I'm gonna have to swing in the casual pint and check them out.

Dude, it still is a beer Mecca. They have over 100 beers on tap and it's been completely remodeled inside. It's 10x nicer now.

Having dinner at Burger Republic tonight in Nashville. Great beer selection over here, starting off with their Octoberfest sampler; Sam Adams Octoberfest, Victoryfest bier, Paulner Oktoberfest, Yazoo Gerst.

Just as a 5oz apiece sampler before I move on to Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and maybe a glass of Left Hand Milk Stout for desert.

Yeah I'm a bit of a snob but at the same time I'm not too proud to enjoy a few pitchers of Miller lite at the bowling alley.

I loved the Abita tasting in Abita Springs, LA. Every Saturday, free, and self-serve. My and me buddy would start out at Heiner Brau in Covington for an hour, which was also free, and hop over to the Abita brewey which took about ten minutes. I'd down as many turbodogs as I could before they'd start they actual tour and by the time everything was down we had ourselves a pretty good buzz goin all for free.

I do have fondness for Turbodog.