.380 Standard or Sub Compact

Guest HillyKarma

Guest HillyKarma

I really like .380s, but I don't know which one I want!

A Standard .380 is prefered, but a Sub Compact will work as well.

I saw the Sig P238 and that's the only one that's really caught my eye.

I am assuming you intend it for range sessions as you are too young to be able to carry.

The p238 is a great little gun, but for its intended use. You may want to look at something like a sig p232 or bersa 380, it is a little bit larger and would be more fun for range use. If you feel like going to a 9mm the available choices open up broadly, and ammo is cheaper as well.

the sig 238 is a very good pistol. I have shot many hundreds of rounds thru mine, and it is very accurate for its size (good to 25 yards anyway, past that its a bit much for the sight radius).

There is no point at all in a large framed 380 like the beretta 86 (I think?, its similar to a 92 in 380 anyway) since you can get a 9mm in those frames, a more potent and less expensive caliber.

If you do want an inexpensive larger framed 380, consider one of the 9x18 guns instead, it is much less expensive ammo. The cz 82, for example.

If you want a single action 1911 style gun, there are not many. Sig is the only one I know of. I did make my makarov single action, but that is another story.

Guest lilmule

9x18 com block guns 215-250 fpe are fairly cheap and more powerfull than a 380,any full size will actually put out more fpe as longer barrel,a 32 acp with a long barrel puts out with the right ammo s and b 60 grain jhp 205 fpe,average short compact 380 less than 180-200fpe without special defense rds.For practice any full size will recoil less and give better aiming,as most cc guns designed for short range as in reach out and touch someone,and not something you run fifty rds thru,if plastic,lightweight and small.

Edited by lilmule

If you reload the 380 can be dirt cheap (.08 a round or $4-$5 a box). I can reload it cheaper than 9mm. There are some great larger guns chambered in the 380. Makarov, CZ 83, Beretta 84, Remington 51,Sig p250, Sig 232. The Beretta 84 for instance is smaller than its 9mm counter part (92) and is a great sized gun for range shooting.

If you reload and actually enjoy shooting the 380 is a wonderful round. There is so much more to this hobby than defensive knockdown power. The 380 has a lot of diverse interesting guns with history to them. Many can be had cheap, and reloading the round is CHEAP.

For reloaders it is one of the most economical all around platforms

Guest HillyKarma

get a 9mm. You *shouldnt* be carrying a handgun based on your age. I see no reason to shoot a .380 of any make or model at the range if you aren't training for carry.

I'd train on what I intend to carry.

And thanks for the input guys.

I'll look around some more and get my grandfather's input.

I personally have no qualms with the .380 round, but I try to keep my gun buying to within a few calibers. Self defense wise, I wouldn't feel too bad about carrying a 380 pocket pistol. After all, you shoot top stop the threat, not to kill. Majority of encounters result in the other person turning tail and running at any sight of resistance.

Out of the right guns it is a very soft shooting enjoyable round. Not as wimpy as the kick and bang from a 22, but not nearly as aggressive as a 9x19. It is a great second step for people that are nervous about recoil that are just getting into shooting. Even out of the right pocket gun it is a pretty easy going round. The first time I shot my friends kahr 380 I was amazed at how soft it shot compared to what I was expecting.

I'd train on what I intend to carry.

And thanks for the input guys.

I'll look around some more and get my grandfather's input.

I would try and find a range that has some of the guns you are interested in for rental, and try putting 100 rounds through a 380 pocket rocket. You might realize it isn't a very good gun for fun extended range sessions. You are quite young, and your tastes in firearms will no doubt change by the time you can legally purchase/carry a handgun. Just go out and find something you enjoy to shoot, and can shoot cheaply. Don't overlook the 22 either, I as almost everyone else, probably spends more time at the range with a 22 more than any other caliber because its CHEAP it shoot.

Guest HillyKarma

I personally have no qualms with the .380 round, but I try to keep my gun buying to within a few calibers. Self defense wise, I wouldn't feel too bad about carrying a 380 pocket pistol. After all, you shoot top stop the threat, not to kill. Majority of encounters result in the other person turning tail and running at any sight of resistance.

Out of the right guns it is a very soft shooting enjoyable round. Not as wimpy as the kick and bang from a 22, but not nearly as aggressive as a 9x19. It is a great second step for people that are nervous about recoil that are just getting into shooting. Even out of the right pocket gun it is a pretty easy going round. The first time I shot my friends kahr 380 I was amazed at how soft it shot compared to what I was expecting.

I would try and find a range that has some of the guns you are interested in for rental, and try putting 100 rounds through a 380 pocket rocket. You might realize it isn't a very good gun for fun extended range sessions. You are quite young, and your tastes in firearms will no doubt change by the time you can legally purchase/carry a handgun. Just go out and find something you enjoy to shoot, and can shoot cheaply. Don't overlook the 22 either, I as almost everyone else, probably spends more time at the range with a 22 more than any other caliber because its CHEAP it shoot.

You know, you do make a very good point actually.

I'm sure my preferences will change a lot in the next 5 years haha.

I'll just get a taste of everything and see what happens from there.

You know, you do make a very good point actually.

I'm sure my preferences will change a lot in the next 5 years haha.

I'll just get a taste of everything and see what happens from there.

Its hard to say. I still have my first one, though I have bought and sold several between then and now. Not because its my first one but because I like to shoot it to this day, a lot. This was pure luck, by the way; it was at a gun show and the price was right and I liked how it felt and all. No amount of research (apart from actually shooting one of each ) would have done any better for me. The ones I sold, same thing except not as lucky as the first one.

You never know until you can shoot it, and even then, years later you may still love it or grow to dislike it. Testing everything you can really is the best way to find something you like though.

With a five year wait I wouldn't be looking to jump into bed with anything currently on the market. Not that there is anything wrong with <insert firearm here>, but who knows what's coming in the years to come. Instead I'd do as suggested and RENT as many different models in as many different calibers from now till then. It'll give you something constructive to spend your money on and provide you with an opportunity to save up enough cash to buy whatever you want almost regardless of budget.

You may just decide that not only do you want a 1911, but you've just got to have whatever the high end model in five years will be. There won't be many 21 year olds able and willing to drop $2500 on their first handgun but if you wanted too, you'd be able with that long to save up.

Guest HillyKarma

With a five year wait I wouldn't be looking to jump into bed with anything currently on the market. Not that there is anything wrong with <insert firearm here>, but who knows what's coming in the years to come. Instead I'd do as suggested and RENT as many different models in as many different calibers from now till then. It'll give you something constructive to spend your money on and provide you with an opportunity to save up enough cash to buy whatever you want almost regardless of budget.

You may just decide that not only do you want a 1911, but you've just got to have whatever the high end model in five years will be. There won't be many 21 year olds able and willing to drop $2500 on their first handgun but if you wanted too, you'd be able with that long to save up.

Friend, I've been saving up my whole lifetime.

Rifle ammo isn't cheap lol.

I do want to get a really nice handgun, but I'm more of a rifle buff to be honest.