windows 8 discussion

Guest nysos

We are just in the process of rolling out Windows 7 where I work which is a very large enterprise. Microsoft is already pushing us hard on Windows 8 but it's not going to happen anytime soon. We are putting together an OSD QA image of Windows 8 to have ready by March of 2013 but mostly for testing. I don't see a big rush to Windows 8 at this point as it definitely seems geared toward tablet interfaces. At least Microsoft finally got around to encryption on mobile devices. That will be embraced at my organization much sooner as Windows phones have been blocked out due to that fact.

As part of the Rapid Deployment Program we got ours at work and had the option of installing it on my desktop. Not a chance in hell. Tried it on a co-workers and wanted to wash with a wire brush and scalding water when I got back to my desk. Microsoft released quite the sewer pickle with this one.

:down:

That's been my gut. I don't think any of my guys have loaded it. Sorry you had to see it run :)

I still have it running on my test system on a spare hard drive and I haven't been too impressed. I understand the logic for the retro UI, but I have no need for a square that takes up 1/6th of my screen as an icon. My 23" monitor at home isn't touch screen and has no use for that UI.

I do like how some of the menu's look, from a design standpoint it is kind of pleasing. Way too much of a PITA to get to where you need to go from a power user standpoint. I am sure the generic user that gets online to facebook and has maybe 1-2 things installed might love it, but I don't see this going anywhere in the business world without some major UI changes/options in SP1.

I give it 4-6 months before SP1 rolls out.

Where you notice the slowdown is when you replace it on an older machine that was running XP or something slicker. Then you can feel the overall bloat. Its not "bad" "considering" but its slower than xp OR not quite as easy to unbloat by hand, I am not sure which. It is quite stable and a decent overall product. My top complaint about 7 is minor: popups every #$%^ time you insert a usb disk. I have told it and told it to do nothing/take no action and still it pops up trying to read my files for me and guess what program I might like to open them with. Minor, but every flippin day that gets old.

Believe you need to turn off "auto play" to get to what you are desiring.

Also.. 1.5gb of ram?!?! It's been at least 5-6 years since I've owned/operated anything with less than 4gb of ram. And that was back in the 32bit XP days. People really need to drop a few dollars on their PC every couple of years or so - sheesh! :rant:

If you were really expecting win7 to run under such minimal resources you need to look into a copy of win7 basic 32 bit at most.

Believe you need to turn off "auto play" to get to what you are desiring.

Also.. 1.5gb of ram?!?! It's been at least 5-6 years since I've owned/operated anything with less than 4gb of ram. And that was back in the 32bit XP days. People really need to drop a few dollars on their PC every couple of years or so - sheesh! :rant:

If you were really expecting win7 to run under such minimal resources you need to look into a copy of win7 basic 32 bit at most.

every computer i have put 7 on had xp on first and i upgraded the ram to 1.5gigs and havent had anyone say anything about any slowness or anything like that if anything im told that 7 runs BETTER than xp and i have to agree

EDIT heres one that i did

systemspecsh.jpg

Edited by luke9511

I ran it on an extra HP laptop. I hated it!

I'm not one that has problems adapting to new software, either.

I have 5 laptops, 3 desktops, 3 iPhones a Roku and PS3 running on my 105Mbps home network. The PC's run Linux, Win Vista, WinXP, WinXP Media, Win7 Prem, Win7 Pro and I run MAC OSX in Virtual Machines on 2 of them. That said, I would not put Win8 on anything if it'll stay what it was in the latest free trial.