Winchester M-22 Problems

My and my buddy went to Wally world today to get some 22LR for an awesome day of plinking like we try to do every week. For the first time ever, they were out of everything except the Winchester M-22 1000 round pack for $46. We had little choice but to buy it or drive a good ways to try another store, so we went ahead and decided to try it out. It was the worse rimfire ammo I've ever tried in my life. We went through the whole box and ever other round sounded like it was a light load. We had almost 15 failure to fires, I had several that wouldn't chamber because the bullet was misshapen. Upon close inspection the brass looked somewhat old, but I mean how old could it be? I usually get a couple of the 333 Winchester HP boxes when I go plinking and I never have a problem. Hell, I've never had a problem with any 22LR except maybe with an old box of the Wildcats seeming to be a mixed bag as far as power. I was using my trusty 10/22 and he was using the Marlin 795. My Ruger has always worked great with any ammo, his Marlin fairly rarely has a malfunction, but never in the quantity we saw today.

Anyone else have problems with this ammo or did we just get an old/dud box?
Call Winchester and complain. Make sure you have the lot number.

I have called and complained to other manufacturers and most do something to help ease my anger. I had one send me a case of ammo to replace 1,500 rounds that were marked incorrectly. I bought what I thuoght were CCI Standard velocity, according to the packaging, but it was Minimags in the box. They even let me keep the minimags. But they did wants pictures of the lot number and packaging to confirm.

Dolomite
That ammo was highly touted here by several folks about 9 months ago in a long "best .22lr" thread.

Since it's the same 40 gr. lead round nose specs as my fav bulk (Blazer) picked up one of the double packs myself maybe three months ago.

Just got around to shooting some of it a few weeks ago, and I had about a one in ten or 15 dud rate, total failure to ignite type dud. Most or all, can't remember, that I tried again still wouldn't fire. Out of Marlin 60, Beretta NEOS and Ruger Single 6. Also could tell that the loads varied, could hear and feel it. About as bad as (at least the previous) Golden Bullet performance over the last couple years. Actually, even the GB's didn't have that many duds, just notorious for light loads.

Was surprised and disappointed after all the accolades I've heard. It's more expensive from Wally's than the Blazer I've been getting online, too.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352436882' post='842308']
That ammo was highly touted here by several folks about 9 months ago in a long "best .22lr" thread.

Since it's the same 40 gr. lead round nose specs as my fav bulk (Blazer) picked up one of the double packs myself maybe three months ago.

Just got around to shooting some of it a few weeks ago, and I had about a one in ten or 15 dud rate, total failure to ignite type dud. Most or all, can't remember, that I tried again still wouldn't fire. Out of Marlin 60, Beretta NEOS and Ruger Single 6. Also could tell that the loads varied, could hear and feel it. About as bad as (at least the previous) Golden Bullet performance over the last couple years. Actually, even the GB's didn't have that many duds, just notorious for light loads.

Was surprised and disappointed after all the accolades I've heard. It's more expensive from Wally's than the Blazer I've been getting online, too.

- OS
[/quote]

I had the exact same problem, varying loads (to me it seemed even worse than the golden bullet). Failure to fires, etc. It's weird because I love the regular Winchester Super X .22s the cheaper 36gr HPs. I guess I should call Winchester and see if they'll send me some ammo/refund. I was wondering if maybe it was just old ammo, but sounds like the QA is just not up to par. What 22LR ammo do you prefer OS?
[quote name='thefinder808' timestamp='1352588030' post='843346']
...What 22LR ammo do you prefer OS?[/quote]

CCI Blazer. 40 grain lead round nose, same as the M-22.

It really seems to be exactly same load as the MiniMags, just not a plated bullet. Most consistent ammo I've ever shot, just as reliable as the MiniMags. Runs great in my 3 rifles, a pistol, couple of revolvers.

I've never chased 1" groups or anything but my bud Garufa has a tack driver Savage and a souped up 10/22 with bull target barrel, and gets almost as good a results as with higher end Eley and whatever, so that's recommendation enough for me in the consistency area.

Been shooting it for a couple years now, highly recommended. Wally has never carried AFAIK, though. You can find it online for about $15-17 per 500 (brick) or 525 (loose), delivered, if you buy a case. Probably some other gun stores sell it. I first started buying it at a Sportsman's Warehouse in 'Nooga couple years ago.

- OS Edited by OhShoot

[quote name='Ramjo' timestamp='1352593550' post='843381']
Ive never had issues with the M-22 ammo. Good stuff. No FTF ever.
[/quote]

I'll give it another go to rule out bad astrological mojo or something. If same results, I might try contacting Winchester just for yuks. Never have done that before with ammo.

I still have one whole box of the two, between me and some newbies at the range I let shoot a couple of my .22s, shot the whole 500 of the first one. Or actually, about 90% of it. :)

I wanted to like this stuff as backup brand if it's gonna be available for a while. 'Bout the only other 40gr bulk I've seen at Wally's.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352594654' post='843389']
I'll give it another go to rule out bad astrological mojo or something. If same results, I might try contacting Winchester just for yuks. Never have done that before with ammo.

I still have one whole box of the two, between me and some newbies at the range I let shoot a couple of my .22s, shot the whole 500 of the first one. Or actually, about 90% of it. :)

I wanted to like this stuff as backup brand if it's gonna be available for a while. 'Bout the only other 40gr bulk I've seen at Wally's.

- OS
[/quote]

I shoot this through a 10/22 and it's all I use. You probably did get a bad batch. Someone must've dozed off for an hour during the manufacture of it! :)

2 out of 8 here had many failures to fire:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900516961/winchester-m-22-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-black-plated-lead-round-nose#ReviewHeader

2 out of 10 here failure to fire and/or underpowered loads:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Winchester-22-LR-M-22-Ammunition-40-gr-1-000-count&i=443453&aID=503AI2&merchID=4006#reviewsInfo

Maybe some quality control issues, this stuff ain't the cheapest.

- OS
FWIW I've went through a little over 1k with my 10/22 and buckmark and had less than 10 duds. I've never noticed an underpowered load, but then again I don't know if I would know it when I did. Might be time to get some CCI Blazer just in case my stash of M-22 is bad though.

[quote name='wewoapsiak' timestamp='1352604252' post='843533']
FWIW I've went through a little over 1k with my 10/22 and buckmark and had less than 10 duds. I've never noticed an underpowered load, but then again I don't know if I would know it when I did. Might be time to get some CCI Blazer just in case my stash of M-22 is bad though.
[/quote]

I've shot at least 5k rounds of the Blazer in the last 12 months alone out of 4 rifles and 4 handguns ; not a single dud that I remember, and no underpowered load that I've noticed.

When I say underpowered, I mean you can hear and feel it. Bang bang bang ptooo.

Golden Bullets have often been 2-3 ptoos to every 10 bangs. :) Many are reporting the "new improved" Golden Bullets are indeed much improved, but they've burned me too many times to throw any more money at them.

Plus I really like 40 grain bullets better. Main thing is though, even though I'm not chasing competition type precision, I do like shooting the exact same load all the time for consistent reasonable accuracy.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1
My wife swears by the stuff. She has shot up 2 double packs (1k & change bundles) and is on the third one. I did not like it (seemed to throw one round out of 10-15 way off center, usually low, and no, its not the shooter, the blazer stuff is all in a group). It has had a few duds but nothing like 1/10 or even 1/20. More like 1/100 for her. I wonder if the primer is extra hard?
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1352605463' post='843552']
.... I wonder if the primer is extra hard?
[/quote]

Rim crush depth looks the same as on any other .22 to me, unless you mean something about the compound used on the inside, whatever exactly .22 primer is made of.

- OS
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352606877' post='843567']
Rim crush depth looks the same as on any other .22 to me, unless you mean something about the compound used on the inside, whatever exactly .22 primer is made of.

- OS
[/quote]

no idea. could be a bad lot. I was thinking light strikes but if the brass is hit, its hit.

[quote name='Ramjo' timestamp='1352637039' post='843650']
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/_JoeBow_/Mobile%20Uploads/0829121758.jpg[/img]

Here is a group I produced with the M-22 at 120 yards or so with the 10/22
[/quote]

I could do that also, once in a while. :)

- OS

[quote name='Ramjo' timestamp='1352672658' post='843927']
It may be a crappy group for a 22, idk. I never have tried to group shots really.
[/quote]

No, I consider it quite excellent for a (I assume not hugely jazzed up) 10/22 at 120 yards.

My point was that I can tell I would have to try a lot more often with the M-22 batch I have than with my normal Blazer to do same. Just so happens I have shot a lot of .22 at just that distance, because the "100 yard" stands at range I have shot at the most are actually 122 yards.

Both my 10/22's are stock regular barrel, guts are stock except for Volquartsen hammer and extractor.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
My prep list includes buying 1 brick of .22LR a month. Unfortunately my local WM is hit or miss. Today all they had in stock was the Federal 325 round bricks so bought 2. I'm tempted to pick up the 1600 round case of CCI rounds they sell for $98 but the 550 round bricks are still a better deal when you do the math.

I agree with Mac about the Blazer but I've yet to see any since moving down here.
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352673782' post='843934']
No, I consider it quite excellent for a (I assume not hugely jazzed up) 10/22 at 120 yards.

My point was that I can tell I would have to try a lot more often with the M-22 batch I have than with my normal Blazer to do same. Just so happens I have shot a lot of .22 at just that distance, because the "100 yard" stands at range I have shot at the most are actually 122 yards.

Both my 10/22's are stock regular barrel, guts are stock except for Volquartsen hammer and extractor.

- OS
[/quote]

Mine is a bone stock tactical model with the 16 inch bull barrel.
[quote name='Ramjo' timestamp='1352677830' post='843971']
Mine is a bone stock tactical model with the 16 inch bull barrel.
[/quote]

Nice...that's one I really need to get. I just have the blued carbine version, I love it, but the bull barrels look and perform so good on the 10/22. Did you replace the barrel or did it come with a bull barrel?
[quote name='thefinder808' timestamp='1353101985' post='846815']
Nice...that's one I really need to get. I just have the blued carbine version, I love it, but the bull barrels look and perform so good on the 10/22. Did you replace the barrel or did it come with a bull barrel?
[/quote]
It came with it. Go to rugers website, its on there.