Suggestions on communcation

Me and some friends are putting together a bug out plan. I would rather not go into specifics, but it would start with a certain code word meaning to meet at a rally point within a time limit. Now he lives about 26 miles away from me, and we are trying to figure out a reliable method to communicate these code words. Cell phones would be the best option, but if the system is down, what other methods do we have? CB/short wave won;t reach, already tried that. Gave ham radio some though, but there is a lot of setup, time, and money invested in a system that would have the purpose of waiting on two words. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks guys
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love solving puzzles. There's no way I can think of communicate reliably over that distance. One alternate approach would be to preplan a time to meet if phone service is down. Another option would be to leave a written message or agreed upon signal hidden at a location a mile or so away from the designated point. In this case, there's no need to have code. Stick a message inside an empty beer can and leave it a predetermined spot by a tree or sign. Or you could agree to communicate by two-way at 5 minute after the hour every hour from a mile or so away.

Or you could just meet him at the nearest Waffle House.
Yeah, 26 miles on VHF Amateur Radio is a putt. Not even a chip shot.

Low $ too.

You can even go a digital mode (example JT65 or others) using DSP kit radios and run about a watt or less with directional antennas if you really want to be more undetectible. On top of that you could probably even encrypt.
I like the carrier pigeon idea, doesn't get more low tech than that.

I think your best bet is to lay out a contingency plan for the most likely scenarios, if phones are down resort to Ham. If that's not an option go with the birds. Should the birds fail a physical signal such as the message in a beer can.

It seems though in all likelyhood that if the SHTF both parties involved will probably be aware at roughly the same time so maybe a plan to just head out at the dirst sign of trouble will serve. If not you should probably consider a way to send communications from the predesignated meeting spot. That way whoever is first to arrive can alert the other that he is there waiting and advise him on possible issues on the way like road blocks, someone else there, bring something, etc.
I'll agree with the digital mode, or even SSB or FM voice VHF ham radio. A set up could be had at relatively low cost to performance ratio. As a note, morse code is a digital mode that has historically performed well under weak signal conditions. The VHF antennas are very small compared to HF(shortwave) antennas. The higher you can get the antenna, the better. A VHF set up can be established with a Technician class license, which is the first of the three license classes offered. The license test costs $14. There are no other fees involved for the license.

As a side effect, your survival skills would be GREATLY enhanced, IMO, by the knowledge you get from becoming a licensed operator. In an emergency anyone can transmit without a license, but would they know how? I know you just need two words, but ham is really the only wireless alternative when infrastructure fails.

I'm new to the forum, and a ham op. I certainly don't want to over impose the virtues of a ham license, and you could make your set up without a license since all bets are off in an emergency that requires bug out anyway. However, I think you could accomplish what you want the ham way with much less money investment than you think, but it does require time.

I should add that it is illegal to transmit in code on ham radio, but they would have to know that it IS code... Edited by N80