Ideas for this K98

I have an all-matching K98 with one problem. Someone removed the rear sight assembly. I put a Williams firesight on it, but it just doesn't appeal to me. What are some things you would do to it?

ETA: It's an all matching barrelled action. No stock, so I put a hogue stock on it. Edited by Left2Die762
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Left2Die762' timestamp='1352656430' post='843809']
What are some things you would do to it?
[/quote]
I would make it a correct military collectable that is a shooter.

I would get a correct stock for it, replace the sight and do whatever else it took to make it correct to the time when a German soldier carried it.
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1352657881' post='843822']
I would make it a correct military collectable that is a shooter.

I would get a correct stock for it, replace the sight and do whatever else it took to make it correct to the time when a German soldier carried it.
[/quote]

This. If it hasn't been permanently molested, make it right.
How do I replace the sight? From what I've been reading, it's not practical to resweat the rear sight base back on. I'd rather not d&t the receive but I'm not a fan of the Williams peep sight. I have been looking at some stocks on Gunbroker, but I don't know much about the stocks to know which is correct. This is a 43 BNZ 1 k98.

Also, this is not a rifle I plan to resell. This is going to be a shooter. Edited by Left2Die762
put it back original and shoot it. a gunsmith should not charge much to put it back on.ebay or gunbroker should have the parts you need.i hate to see a collectable rifle mess up. what year and code is on the reciever some are worth more than others Edited by dou44
So a gunsmith could sweat a rear sight base back on the rifle? Would it have the same bonding strength?

This is a 1943 BNZ Mod 98 with what looks like waAR under the eagles. There's a P under the serial number, a BNZ 1 shield on the barrel as well as "aw". Edited by Left2Die762
you can find parts and help doing a restore on gunboards; its a forum dedicated to these types of guns and a good chunk of their time is spent fixing guns like yours, that just need a little TLC to get back to original state. Take a lot of good pictures and they will point out any unmatched or wrong parts and help you get it right.
I ordered a rear sight base from Numrich without actually seeing any pictures. When it arrived it was bare stamped metal and I don't believe that is correct for this rifle. That's why I just went ahead with the Williams. I might just have to put this project aside for the next year or so.
[color=#333333][font=Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'][size=5][b]K98k GERMAN MARKED MAUSER 8mm RIFLE COMPLETE REAR SIGHT Ebay has several...including the prewar "hump"[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'][size=5][b]This one was 30.00 including shipping[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[quote name='Left2Die762' timestamp='1352668100' post='843882']
So a gunsmith could sweat a rear sight base back on the rifle? Would it have the same bonding strength?

This is a 1943 BNZ Mod 98 with what looks like waAR under the eagles. There's a P under the serial number, a BNZ 1 shield on the barrel as well as "aw".
[/quote]

Study up and DIY. I changed out the front and rear sights on a 1909 Argentine mauser and with some work and 1/2 a day she is back to original configuration. Curse Bubba and fix it right. All you need is a propane torch, they are only soldered on.
One thing I've noticed is that the barrel is only 22 inches which is shorter than it supposed to be. Won't the measurements be off if I add an original rear sight? I shot this rifle yesterday and was very happy with the accuracy (or is it precision?), whether it be to the Williams ghost ring or to having a great barrel. Unlike with the original Mauser sights, I was able to pull off followup shots a bit faster and definitely easier, but I suppose I need to shoot a Mauser with original sights more often. Anyway, here are some pics of how it stands now.

[img]http://s7.postimage.org/8xhr3cfhn/Untitled1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s7.postimage.org/6hfxphxez/Untitled2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s7.postimage.org/leoeqianf/Untitled3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s7.postimage.org/86p0xkd4b/Untitled4.jpg[/img]