What gun should I get?

I am looking to take my son squirrel and rabbit hunting. He is a short and skinny 12 year old. I figured a 12 gauge pump would work for me, what should I get him?

I really want to duck hunt, but it seems like that may be more difficult to get into.

Advice???
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either or a 22, or maybe one of those 22/410 combo rifles that you can swap the barrel on if you want him to be able to shoot a shotgun. If I personally went squirrel hunting I would probably be looking at either a bolt action 22, or a ruger 10/22.
I started squirrel hunting at about 7-8 years old with a single shot .410. The I move up to a single shot 20 gauge. On my 12th birthday my dad bought me a Rem 870 wingmaster 12 gauge that I still have. You'd be surprised how well kids can handle guns. I was a scrawny fellow too, prob weighed 110lbs. The biggest key is stock length if he can shoulder a full size shotgun I'd probably just get him a pump or semi 20 gauge. Would be fine for hunting small game both ground and flying
My daughter has been dove hunting with a 20ga since she was 9 or 10. He should have no trouble with a 20ga pump. If he is 5'4" or taller I would suggest looking at a full size 20ga. It will work for squirrel, rabbits and any game birds. You could also get into turkey hunting in the spring. I love a .22 for squirrel hunting, but a shotgun is more versatile. He could most likely handle a 12ga at 12, but that's your call. The 20ga will do all you want and more. If he's big enough for a full size, then it will last him a lifetime.
Guest USMC 2013
20 gauge, youth, or full size model depending on his size. Great gun that will last a lifetime. If you get a remmington, or mossberg, you can always get a rifled barrel for it later. Then you have a great deer gun too. Sempper Fi,

Joe
[quote name='Red Bull' timestamp='1353342954' post='848186']
I saw a Mossberg 500 youth 20 gauge for $239 at Academy for him. Still not sure about me. Thinking a 12 gauge pump would be nice. I'd like to stay inexpensive because we are just starting out.
[/quote]

Do you have your 12 yet? Let him try it with some light loads.
An auto has less recoil than a pump. Throw in a recoil pad and that might work as well. My used auto was only 250. I think you can make a 12 work for him but the best way to know is to get one and let him try it... meaning one for you since you wanted one anyway, then see what he can do with it... Edited by Jonnin
Just my $0.02 I don't ever try to recommend too much gun for a new shooter. That said, my first shotgun was a 20 ga single when I was 10. When I was 12 I moved up to a 870 12 gauge. At the age of 12 I was probably 4'10" and weighed 80 pounds put I still handled that shotgun just fine.
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I went home to Iowa for Thanksgiving and talked to my uncle who is an avid hunter about what guns to buy. He has a 16 year old son who wants nothing to do with guns. So the Remington 870 youth 20 gauge he had was just sitting there. $100 :)

I also asked his opinion about a 12 gauge for myself. He had a Remington 1100 Automatic he never uses, he upgraded...$150 :)

He said it was the family discount.

Happy times!

When I was a kid, my dad made me use a 22LR bolt action rifle with open sights. He said anyone can get a squirrel with a shotgun, but it takes skill to shoot one with open sights with a 22LR. If the squirrel does not move, you have to, and you have to be so quiet and discreet so that the squirrel does not take off. My Remington 581 bolt action did log alot of kills. Looking back, I think there was alot of truth in his simple hunting teachings. 35 years later, I am no sniper rifle guy, but shooting 22LR @ 100 yards I am quiet decent, and still snag a squirrel everynow and then. You know the Savage over/under 22LR and 410 on the bottom is problaby the best squirrel gun made. If I had one back then, my dad would have probably plugged my 410 barrel! Lol! Shhhh, don't say anything my dad who is still alive, I do have Savage O/U today! My 2 cents.
[quote name='Runco' timestamp='1354064111' post='851661']
When I was a kid, my dad made me use a 22LR bolt action rifle with open sights. He said anyone can get a squirrel with a shotgun, but it takes skill to shoot one with open sights with a 22LR. [/quote]

^^This. In spite of the recommendations for 20 and even 12 gauge, you want this to be fun. You don't want him to shoot a few 20 gauge rounds wrong at target practice, wake up with a sore shoulder and never shoot again. A 22 is a great gun to learn on. If you go shotgun, why not get a single shot 410 and then get him a pump 20 when he outgrows it? If you buy a used gun, it won't depreciate much. Edited by jgradyc