The real SWAK

I edc what I believe to be the most underrated pocket tool in the world. As I carry a gun for defense, I carry a knife as a tool. I carry a Swiss Army Knife (SWAK), No, not the plastic handled, bulky and weighty knife most know as the SWAK, but the slender, slim and lightweight real SWAK. The knife I carry is the exact replica of the one that was really issued to Swiss troops in the past. The knife was actually designed as a tool for maintaining the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifle. What better to edc than a gun maintenance tool? Originally manufactured by Wegner , it still is built by them as the Original Swiss Army Knife. It is also manufactured under the Victorinox name (both companies are actually now owned by Victorinox) as the Pioneer. Victorinox also makes a smaller, lighter version, the Cadet, with a nail file replacing the awl. Scales (handles) are made of riveted Aluminum alloy known as ALOX, The cadet also comes in red and black scales. They are all made very sturdy and tight. I normally carry a Cadet for dress wear and the Pioneer in jeans. The Swiss Army now issues a much larger and heavy knife with tools for their new issue rifles. Victorinox has a large international civilian market for the original knife and Cadet so I suspect both will be around for quite a while. All carry a lifetime guarantee!

(Top three knives are Victorinox, bottom knife is a Wegner.)

[img]http://photos2.pix.ie/7E/6B/7E6B06CE64AF4EFEA3EB4B27FB3AFA2C-0000317266-0003079287-00706L-48775C1AC25947ED861D1204AD3527C6.jpg[/img] Edited by wjh2657
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
You've got me curious about these things now. Having owned SWAK's before, I've never owned one of these with the aluminum scales.

[quote]The Swiss Army now issues a much larger and heavy knife with tools for their new issue rifles.[/quote]

Which one do they now issue for curiosity's sake?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I had roughly $18 cashback bonus on my Discover card, so I decided to purchase the Victorinox "Pioneer". Amazon also has a Discover promotion, so I got free one day shipping. I ended up paying roughly $7 for it to get here tomorrow.

Don't tell anyone, but I also purchased a red Victorinox "Cadet" for my wife. It should be here Monday (bought it from SwissOutpost for $18, free "extended" shipping. I think she'll like it.

I just wish they produced the red alox "Pioneer" still. I've found some of them, but I don't want to pay $60 or more for them. But I love that red alox! I'll post a picture up tomorrow after I get it! I just feel so much regret for not purchasing both these knives around black friday. I didn't realize it at the time, but all the prices for Victorinox knives on Amazon were up to 40% off! The Pioneer was $18 shipped. Should have got it then, but oh well:( $7 Out of pocket for a Victorinox isn't bad at all!
I have two SAKs setting right by my chair as I type this. One is the Swiss Champ and the other is a Tinker. I intend to purchase a Wenger Standard Issue (Wenger on the bottom of wjh2657's pic above) or a Victorinox Farmer. The Farmer is almost considered to be an essential part of any Bushcrafter's kit these days!

My EDC almost everyday is a 1979 Camillus U.S. Knife with about 6-ft of orange 550 paracord for a lanyard.The U.S, Knife is our military's version of the SAK Standard Issue.

[img]http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj469/Mo-Ped/Untitled.jpg[/img]
Some of my pocket knives. I love slip joints!
Top Row: Rough Rider Copperhead
Second Row: Kutmaster Girlscout Knife, Imperial Camp King
Third Row: Camillus Electrician Knife
Fourth Row: Camillus U.S. Knife, Rough Rider Scout Knife
Fifth Row: Opinel No. 9
sixth Row: My two SAKs
Seventh Row: Svord Peasant
Eigth Row: Kissing Crane Large Brown Mule
  • 2 weeks later...
After some research, I'm led to believe this is the issue knife?

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Soldier-Knife-Standard/dp/B001RL7OPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353360754&sr=8-1&keywords=Soldatenmesser+08

Yup, that's the new issue. Nice knife but a lot more bulky than the Victorinox Pioneer or Wegner Original Issue. Victorinox is selling the Pioneer, Farmer and Cadet faster than they can make them so I think they will be around for a while. I have the Cadet in Red, Black and Silver Alox. Absolutely the best dress knife ever made. Daughters-in-law and grandkids call them my "Grandpa Knives."

Edited by wjh2657