Just bought a Lyman press and would like some experienced tutoring.

I just purchased a Lyman turret press from Bill on here. I reloaded a fair amount of shot shells years ago but have never fooled with brass before. I have been reading books on it that were suggested and have a fair grasp on the operation in theory but would like to find someone that is set up already that could walk me through in person and spend a little time talking over the "ins & outs" of it. I'm in Murfreesboro but can do a little driving if i need to. I can compensate for time if needed, i just would like to have someone experienced show me on their machine so i know where i need to go. Thanks
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest you get a Lyman Reloaders Manual? Normally, they had a section that had step by step instructions for reloading brass. Before switching to a progressive press, I had a turret model. I would perform one step at a time on all the brass before moving on to the next stage. I would suggest carbide dies for handguns so you can cut back on the case lube, and if you're loading for an autoloading pistol, add a taper crimp die to the mix.
I can do it if you want to drive this far. There has to be someone in your town that has one though?

There is a once a month reloading seminar down here at sportsmans warehouse too if you want to do that.

Biggest advice I have between now and when you get started... buy 1 turret for each caliber you plan to do.
[quote name='jdw174' timestamp='1354103281' post='851822']
May I suggest you get a Lyman Reloaders Manual? Normally, they had a section that had step by step instructions for reloading brass. Before switching to a progressive press, I had a turret model. I would perform one step at a time on all the brass before moving on to the next stage. I would suggest carbide dies for handguns so you can cut back on the case lube, and if you're loading for an autoloading pistol, add a taper crimp die to the mix.
[/quote]
I already bought and read the most current Lyman reloaders manual and am skimming back through it a second time now. Just looking to have some hands-on instruction and pick up some tips that might not be listed in the manuals.
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1354109860' post='851842']
I can do it if you want to drive this far. There has to be someone in your town that has one though?

There is a once a month reloading seminar down here at sportsmans warehouse too if you want to do that.

Biggest advice I have between now and when you get started... buy 1 turret for each caliber you plan to do.
[/quote]
Thanks Jonnin, If no one up here closer is able to do it i may take you up on it. I'm looking to setup for .223/5.56 1st because i have more cases for it and they are more expensive than the 9mm that my M&P uses. Thanks again!
[quote name='Luke Edwards' timestamp='1354112396' post='851856']
I'm looking to setup for .223/5.56 1st because i have more cases for it [/quote]

What other items have you already purchased besides the press? Reloading for rifle involves a little more work and detail than straight wall pistol cases but is still very manageable for someone just starting out.
[quote name='Trekbike' timestamp='1354127278' post='852009']
What other items have you already purchased besides the press? Reloading for rifle involves a little more work and detail than straight wall pistol cases but is still very manageable for someone just starting out.
[/quote]
Nothing yet, I have been putting a list together but that is one reason i wanted to get with someone that already has everything setup so i know what, what brand... etc.. is best to spend my money on. I know what all i need to get in general but would rather not buy something that is a waste of money.
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello Luke,

I am located in Pulaski and have a Lyman turret press set up for 5.56. I also have case prep and trimming equipment for rifle and handguns. There are many good brands out there but the main thing is that it can be a little intimidating to your wallet initially to buy everything needed at one time. The cost of the accessories can add up and most of us add to our collections a little at a time. You are welcome to come by and I could show you how to use your press to load 5.56. I have been reloading since the early 80's. Feel free to contact me if you're interested. You will have to bring your own brass, bullets, primers and brass.
[quote name='jlperryusa' timestamp='1354928633' post='856697']
Hello Luke,

I am located in Pulaski and have a Lyman turret press set up for 5.56. I also have case prep and trimming equipment for rifle and handguns. There are many good brands out there but the main thing is that it can be a little intimidating to your wallet initially to buy everything needed at one time. The cost of the accessories can add up and most of us add to our collections a little at a time. You are welcome to come by and I could show you how to use your press to load 5.56. I have been reloading since the early 80's. Feel free to contact me if you're interested. You will have to bring your own brass, bullets, primers and brass.
[/quote]
Thanks man, I'd love to get down there for some hands on learning. I'm not sure when i'll have time to get down there but i'm going to try and stock up with David at the show in Murfreesboro this coming weekend so as soon as i have some time i'll get in touch with you and see if your available.
Thanks again

Hey man, I am in Murfreesboro.  I do 223/556 on a Single stage RCBS and with my Dillon 550.  Let me know what I could help with...its not a Lyman but it sure cranks them out. :)

It doesn't matter to me what press it is i just want to sit down with someone while they are reloading some just to actually see each step being done and maybe help out with a few. If you wouldn't mind me coming over and going through the process with me that would be great. I'm going to the show Saturday to buy supplies so if we do it after that i can bring my own stuff if you don't have any that need loading. I'll pm you my phone number and you can call me whenever. My schedule is pretty open so whenever is most convenient for you works for me.

Thanks,

Luke

If you were starting out with with pistol ammo, I'd be glad to help you out. 

Unfortunately, I don't shoot rifles much, so I'm not sure what extra steps a crash course for pistols would leave out.

Thanks, I will be reloading some pistol rounds eventually but i have a good bit of 5.56 brass and its a little harder to get right now. I appreciate the offer but since Tim said he's set up for 5.56 i'd like to learn on that. I'm getting pretty excited to get started on this with this cold weather it'll be nice to have an indoor hobby.

Hey man, I am in Murfreesboro.  I do 223/556 on a Single stage RCBS and with my Dillon 550.  Let me know what I could help with...its not a Lyman but it sure cranks them out. :)

Hey i picked up everything i need today so if your still willing to give me a little help give me a call.