I have a carry class tomorrow and I've lost the address :(

Guest drewmsmith

Guest drewmsmith
I was contacted by the Roane County Sherrif's department about their free carry course. They are finally starting them up again. I spoke with Beth and she told me to meet at 7am at the Roane county bus garage. My error lies in the assumption that this was the name of an actual place, but plenty of googling around has lead to nothing as far as an address goes. Anyone from Roane county or someone whose taken the class and knows where the "Roane County Bus Garage" is located care to share it with me?

Thanks in advance.
Guest drewmsmith
Not yet, figured I'd try this anonymously before making an ass out of myself in real life.

EDIT: Gave them a call and they also were lacking an address. They did tell me it was in midtown, near the co-op. I'm assuming that is in Kingston and will be scouring google maps to see what I can find. Edited by drewmsmith
Guest drewmsmith
[quote name='Symbolic' timestamp='1354324866' post='853177']
If your name is Drew Smith, it wasn't very anonymous here.
[/quote]

It's isn't actually, nice try though clever trevor.
Anyway regarding my search, Midtown isn't an area in the town of kingston, It's a "town" just west of kingston. I think this is close to where I'm looking for. I figure I'll just stand around the area waving my gun around until someone points me in the right direction.
[url="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roane+county+coop&ll=35.871829,-84.575425&spn=0.007642,0.016512&hq=coop&hnear=Roane,+Tennessee&t=h&fll=35.871829,-84.575425&fspn=0.007642,0.016512&z=17"]https://maps.google....2,0.016512&z=17[/url] Edited by drewmsmith

Yeah, there's actually a Midtown exit of I-40, or was last time I noticed.

There is a co-op at:

Valley Farmers [b]Co-op[/b]
3058 Roane State Highway, Harriman, TN
(865) 882-2127

Which is US Hwy. 70 among other hwy numbers.

It has Harriman address, but shows in the Midtown metro area on map. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest drewmsmith

[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354326114' post='853193']
Yeah, there's actually a Midtown exit of I-40, or was last time I noticed.

There is a co-op at:

Valley Farmers [b]Co-op[/b]
3058 Roane State Highway, Harriman, TN
(865) 882-2127

Which is US Hwy. 70 among other hwy numbers.

It has Harriman address, but shows in the Midtown metro area on map. :)

- OS
[/quote]

Thanks, I should be able to punch this into my GPS and get close enough. I also noticed that an elementary school is just down the road. Would be fantastically ironic if my carry course was within the "Gun free school zone" area.

Guest drewmsmith
Found it ok and passed no problem. The class was well done and other than the terrible videos and a mention of glocks being double action only pistols, I found nothing else wrong with it. If you're in the area and can spare the time the price is certainly right.

Glocks [b]are[/b] double action only.

Not in the traditional sense of cocking a hammer then releasing that hammer, but the trigger finishes "cocking" the striker and then releases it, so two actions being performed by the trigger. The striker on a Glock is not all the way back by racking the slide. Springfield XDs are, so they're "single action" strikers.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong on that. :)

Edited by monkeylizard

[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1354678133' post='855092']

Not in the traditional sense of cocking a hammer then releasing that hammer, but the trigger finishes "cocking" the striker and then releases it, so two actions being performed by the trigger. The striker on a Glock is not all the way back by racking the slide. Springfield XDs are, so they're "single action" strikers.

[/quote]

That's my basic understanding of the two.

- OS

[quote name='tennessee01tacoma' timestamp='1354327616' post='853202']It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this. When I took my hunters safety course we took the written test at Wartburg elementary school and shot clay pigeons behind the high school.[/quote]

I actually took my Hunters Safety class in actual school. In 9th grade, Mt. Juliet Jr. High, it was part of our Health class. We shot right there next to the school.

Now there obviously were many people that did not, nor ever will hunt but they did the same class, shot the clays, and were at least introduced to safe firearms handling and some common sense... 1992 doesnt sound that long ago but wow how times have changed. Mt. Juliet used to be a lot different and better.
[quote name='JWC' timestamp='1354684090' post='855136']

I actually took my Hunters Safety class in actual school. In 9th grade, Mt. Juliet Jr. High, it was part of our Health class. We shot right there next to the school.

Now there obviously were many people that did not, nor ever will hunt but they did the same class, shot the clays, and were at least introduced to safe firearms handling and some common sense... 1992 doesnt sound that long ago but wow how times have changed. Mt. Juliet used to be a lot different and better.
[/quote]
Im pretty sure I took my hunter safety class around 97. I'm probably one of the younger guys on here.

[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1354678133' post='855092']

Not in the traditional sense of cocking a hammer then releasing that hammer, but the trigger finishes "cocking" the striker and then releases it, so two actions being performed by the trigger. The striker on a Glock is not all the way back by racking the slide.[b] Springfield XDs are, so they're "single action" strikers[/b].

[/quote]

Correct unless then your one of those IDPA shooters who cry over being in ESP......then the fun starts! THEY NO DIFFER THAN GLOCKS QQQQQQQQ!!!!