holster for a fat guy?

Guest nyndy8altyse

Guest nyndy8altyse
title says it. i currently open carry. mainly because its more comfortable for me. anyone have any suggestions for iwb holsters for a fat guy?
Well I am slightly North of 300 and stand 6'. I swear by the Crossbreed supertuck. I wear my at the 5 o'clock position for righty or 7 o'clock for lefty. I carry Sigs P6 and P228, without any trouble or discomfort. I should note though I do not carry rear wallet, which could be a probem I suppose. You do have to move up in pants size if wear your pants tight. If you try some of the knockoffs, the leather is a lot more stiffer.
Guest nyndy8altyse
i was looking at an uncle mikes shoulder holster. didnt fit but besides that i thought the quality sucked. it doesnt look and better for the iwb either. maybe i should have prefaced by saying i gotta be stylish too lol
Do yourself a favor and stick with OWB. More comfortable, no need to get a different pant or belt size. Less humidity or perspiration near your firearm. OWB easier to adjust while sitting in a car seat or at a desk. With the right set up, you can conceal just as easy. Remember, if it is not comfortable you may not carry. If conceal-ability is so critical get your self a pocket pistol like a seecamp, LCP and a myriad of other 32 or .380 versions. Edited by mmirob
I'm a fat guy - 5' 10" and 220 lbs. I used to carry IWB exclusively before I got myself a couple of high quality gun belts. I still carry concealed, except now it's OWB for me. Soooooo much more comfortable and I can conceal OWB just as well as I could IWB. In fact, I don't see the need to ever carry IWB again. Edited by DaddyO
[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1354584270' post='854546']
I'm a fat guy - 5' 10" and 220 lbs. I used to carry IWB exclusively before I got myself a couple of high quality gun belts. I still carry concealed, except now it's OWB for me. Soooooo much more comfortable and I can conceal OWB just as well as I could IWB. In fact, I don't see the need to ever carry IWB again.
[/quote]

Cheers! *Raising his glass* My feelings the same!
Like DaddyO and mmrob said: Keep ya a good OWB holster and a long shirt or overall jacket (....i like the d. m bullard stuff...) and/or a pocket gun (...i carry a sig 238 in a bullard pocket holster...) in your front pocket. If ya wear dungarees or overalls, ya can stuff a glock 33 or a glock 27 in a hip pocket holster (...i like Alan Miller's kydex...). Works like a charm.

leroy (...round man, 300 lbs, no xtra room in my pants either....)
I usually carry a g26 iwb with a Kholster (crossbreed type holster). I'm 6', 290 lbs, so I'm not small (har har). The other day I decided to try carrying my full size 1911 OWB with a cheap nylon holster of some type, and it was WAY more comfortable than my G26 has ever been IWB. I usually wear jeans and a button down untucked if I'm carrying, so I didn't change my dress at all, and I was well concealed.

I've now ordered an OWB for my G26 so I can start trying that. Honestly I need to lose some weight, but until that happens I'll probably start carrying OWB more than IWB. (I also ordered one for my G21, which I think is gonna work well).

edit: forgot to mention, I also keep a Ruger LCP in my front pocket no matter what else I may be carrying. Edited by JGunner
[quote name='JGunner' timestamp='1354663752' post='854967']
I usually carry a g26 iwb with a Kholster (crossbreed type holster). I'm 6', 290 lbs, so I'm not small (har har). The other day I decided to try carrying my full size 1911 OWB with a cheap nylon holster of some type, and it was WAY more comfortable than my G26 has ever been IWB. I usually wear jeans and a button down untucked if I'm carrying, so I didn't change my dress at all, and I was well concealed.

I've now ordered an OWB for my G26 so I can start trying that. Honestly I need to lose some weight, but until that happens I'll probably start carrying OWB more than IWB. (I also ordered one for my G21, which I think is gonna work well).

edit: forgot to mention, I also keep a Ruger LCP in my front pocket no matter what else I may be carrying.
[/quote]

As a big guy, I also prefer OWB holsters. I have found that the Don Hume 721OT works great for me. I have those for my 1911s, and also for my EDC, a FNP-45. It has a sweat guard or slide guard as some call it and is very comfortable. Mine are black leather. The FN 45 is a BIG gun, and with a good belt, its very comfortable and I wear a oversize untucked shirt that usually covers it.
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#B22222][b]As a larger guy myself i am sold on crossbread holsters for iwb use. I can wear them all day at the 5 o'clock position i forget i'm carrying a glock 23. With the try it for 2 weeks trail period you owe it to yourself to give one a try. I wouldn't chose the combat cut as i do that myself and save the 10 bucks. For owb i like tauga leather holsters. I use the open top style and find they hold close to the body with excellent gun retention. The key to comfortable concealed carry however is the gun belt. I use Gould and Goodrich belts i purchase at Greenes Military. The key to any good gun belt is a thick leather with a plastic insert sown in. This type belt keeps the weight of the gun from sagging and can make even a lesser quality holster work better. [/b][/color][/font]