7 year old boy shot dead outside gun store.

No need to get insulting with the "this isn't advanced level stuff except maybe for Robert (me)" bit.

No one and I do mean no one is beyond making a mistake...I don't care how careful they are or how much training they've had or how large or small their IQ is or whether they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...that's not intended to be a criticism of you or anyone else it's just a simple recognition of a pretty *obvious truth that people are humans and humans make mistakes; sometimes the effects are tragic.

* At least I thought it was obvious - apparently there are people around who truly are incapable of making a mistake. :shrug:

I am truly stupefied that you are unable to see how condescending and borderline insulting some of your posts are.
Guest TankerHC

You can say it all day long and twice on Sundays' but there is nothing you or anyone else can do to absolutely guarantee that such an event can not and will not ever happen to you.

I can. First, I guarantee that I will never point a gun at a child, or even take a gun out near a child unless it has been cleared the Army way (Drop magazine, slide back, look AND FEEL). ANd then, it still wont be pointed anywhere near a child. Nope, guarantee I wont be accidentally shooting any kids.

I can start by never pointing a weapon at a child, or pulling the trigger of a weapon unless it is pointed in a safe direction. I can start there. I'm pretty sure I've been able to make it through life never having done this and have no plans of doing it in the future.

Is that so revolutionary that you're saying not everyone has the capacity to do this? I've trained half-wit, illiterate, uneducated booger-eating Arabs how to do this with pretty good success. Anyone that can't is a moron and shouldn't be handling weapons. This isn't advanced level stuff, Robert. Perhaps for you, but not me.

I have to agree here. We are all in charge of our weapons and it's actions. I'm not perfect, but I've never had an accident with a firearm. Probably never will either! I OWN my weapons, they don't own me. They only do what I say, when I say! They do not think and/or act on their own!

You can't shoot anyone if you don't point the gun at them and pull the trigger! I'm not buying the accident crap!

Dave S

• Like 1

I have to agree here. We are all in charge of our weapons and it's actions. I'm not perfect, but I've never had an accident with a firearm. Probably never will either! I OWN my weapons, they don't own me. They only do what I say, when I say! They do not think and/or act on their own!

You can't shoot anyone if you don't point the gun at them and pull the trigger! I'm not buying the accident crap!

Dave S

Amazing how simple it is, ain't it?

I can. First, I guarantee that I will never point a gun at a child, or even take a gun out near a child unless it has been cleared the Army way (Drop magazine, slide back, look AND FEEL). ANd then, it still wont be pointed anywhere near a child. Nope, guarantee I wont be accidentally shooting any kids.

Sorry but I disagree although not in the way everyone seems to think I do.

I was taught to clear a weapon in the same way...I hope everybody always follows the safe handling rules every time...all I'm saying is that no one is perfect and no one is incapable of making a mistake with a firearm; not me...not anyone. I don't know why that is such a controversial statement.

Sorry but I disagree although not in the way everyone seems to think I do.

I was taught to clear a weapon in the same way...I hope everybody always follows the safe handling rules every time...all I'm saying is that no one is perfect and no one is incapable of making a mistake with a firearm; not me...not anyone. I don't know why that is such a controversial statement.

How hard is it to understand that this man didn't merely make a mistake? As someone said earlier, he committed a gross act of negligence. The two aren't even remotely related.

You can correct a mistake. Not so much when you fatally wound your child.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

How hard is it to understand that this man didn't merely make a mistake? As someone said earlier, he committed a gross act of negligence. The two aren't even remotely related.

You can correct a mistake. Not so much when you fatally wound your child.

He killed his kid. What do you want to do to him now, send him to trial for involuntary manslaughter? A jury would never convict him.

I know someone that committed a gross act of negligence that led to the death of a kid and many here don’t want to even see him go to trial.

He killed his kid. What do you want to do to him now, send him to trial for involuntary manslaughter? A jury would never convict him.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I said. Did I make a false statement anywhere in my post? Did I say I wanted him to go to prison? 

Man, there are some touchy people here today.

Personally I don't think this rises to the level of criminally negligent; not unless there are aggravating factors we're not aware of. My issue was folks making light of the father's error on trigger and muzzle discipline. Such simple and basic safety procedures that can have catastrophic outcomes if not adhered to. This case should serve as a cautionary tale for gun owners so that people do the right thing, every time. Clearly there is too much at stake to be complacent. I don't even want to imagine the horror that this father is living right now. Edited by TMF