Educate me on the 9mm AR platform

• Administrator

I am seriously thinking about going with a 9mm upper when I build my SBR. What do I need to know about mags, magwell, etc? I know you just use your 5.56mm lower, but do you run an adapter block of some sort or what?

Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Good question. Especially with the price of ammo. I have asked about accuracy in the past.

Screw accuracy! It's 9mm... just keep pulling the trigger! :rofl:

I'm also interested in the 9mm carbine as a possible evil black rifle platform. Researching different options and platforms, so this would be good to know. :up:

A dedicated 9mm SBR would rock... I've seen magwells and such on the CMMG site, pretty much you just install your upper and the magazine setup, and go.

I'm looking more seriously at just a .22lr conversion... that would be even cheaper than a 9mm upper, and would be even cheaper to shoot.

• Administrator

I like the idea of having one NFA lower that you can throw a 9mm or a 5.56mm upper on depending on the mood. What really has me right now is the cost of 5.56 ammo; especially as I look with an eye toward the CIS Defensive Carbine class and the 1,000 round requirement.

1,000 rounds of 9mm wasn't exactly cheap but it wasn't at the same price point as 5.56mm is right now. It would be nearly $400 in ammo just do to 5.56 for that class. Shooting 9mm would be a lot more economical for me.

I suppose there's no reason you couldn't shoot that class with a 22LR conversion as long as it cycled reliably.

Guest Verbal Kint

I'm looking more seriously at just a .22lr conversion... that would be even cheaper than a 9mm upper, and would be even cheaper to shoot.

You can't knock down bowling pins with a .22, damnit!

Oh... I also have a Red Rider BB gun, if you want to neuter the platform any further. :up::rofl:

Guest db99wj
You can't knock down bowling pins with a .22, damnit!

Oh... I also have a Red Rider BB gun, if you want to neuter the platform any further. :P:D

Screw accuracy! It's .22... just keep pulling the trigger! :rofl:

I'm also interested in the 9mm carbine as a possible evil black rifle platform. Researching different options and platforms, so this would be good to know. :up:

Minor change to statement above! :P:D

there where a couple 9mm's with 10" barrels at the ky state 3 gun championship they claimed 6" groups out at 100 yards with 147 grain bullets. at the 100 yard stage it was a limited round count and there was lost of holes on the ISPC classic target plus when they shot you could the hit with a loud smack at 100 yards.

a neat little gun to say the least.

Top loading mag blocks work much better, and require much less swearing, than bottom loading mag blocks which tend to get ejected with the magazine when you absentmindedly eject both while trying to change just the mag .

With the AWB going away there are plenty of new magazines available so there is really no need to look at doing Uzi mag conversions or Sten mag conversions, but the ability to use them in the future is always nice. Uzi mag conversion only requires punching a new magazine catch in the appropriate area.

When I was researching a .223 SBR I started thinking about a 9mm

and had looked up info on that as well.

If I had the cash... I'm unsure which of the two I would want to go with.

I'd want to shoot both before deciding. (That's just me though.)

I don't have the money... but i did mention the SBR lower

receivers that Hero Gear is selling... and how happy

and complete it would make my life.

... all I got was the "Oh boy. Magic Beans..." look from her. LOL!!

Guest db99wj
You can shoot a 9mm FA Colt at Coal Creek (they have them for rent)....pretty freakin fun....you can shoot it single shot to get a feel for the 9mm

I have shot a fa at RangeUSA, they are fun!

On a side note, you have no problems shooting them in an indoor range(unless they don't allow long guns of anykind), because of it being a pistol caliber!

yeah... that and the better suppressor possibilities would make

me lean toward the 9mm... but those .223s are just soooo COOL!!! :rofl:

Plus with the 9mm you can get a really compact 7" barrel and it still

will burn up all the powder.

Just for the record I had an "convertible" AR15 that I loved shooting so much that I just took the plunge and bought a dedicated 9mm AR.

Roughly how long would it take you to convert from 9mm to .223?

Less than 10min. once I got the hang of it.

I also had a .45 upper that is still floating around here somewhere, unloved since the mags were such a pain to load. That got replaced by an H&K USC.

Guest Mugster
I am seriously thinking about going with a 9mm upper when I build my SBR. What do I need to know about mags, magwell, etc? I know you just use your 5.56mm lower, but do you run an adapter block of some sort or what?

Thanks.

I think with 9mm your going to want a dedicated setup. You've got to use a 9mm only hammer and buffer spring in addition to the magwell adapter. For mags cproducts stick mags...get them from 44mag.com. It would be a sweet setup. I'm on the fence on this. I'd like to be able to switch uppers and go.

A 5.56 setup with a 1/7 twist is my other alternative. I can load the heavier bullets with a faster powder though. It makes no economical sense at all unless you handload for it I'd say.

• Administrator

Shooting 5.56 is going to force me into reloading, otherwise it's going to get stupid-expensive real fast. I sold my last AR simply because it had become too expensive to feed and I had better uses for the money at the time.

Decisions, decisions.

Shooting 5.56 is going to force me into reloading, otherwise it's going to get stupid-expensive real fast. I sold my last AR simply because it had become too expensive to feed and I had better uses for the money at the time.

Decisions, decisions.

I guess this isn't the time to mention the coming glut of surplus 5.56mm ammo?

It seems that the manufacturers couldn't crank it out fast enough for Iraq.

I'm not talking about American. I'm talking about European. From what we've been hearing there are large containers on their way or already here.