Ammo tax

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not. If it needs to be in another forum please move it.

What do you guys say to people who say that ammo for ARs and AKs should be taxed so they are $500 a bullet? I have over heard several people talking and saying that "if ammo was more expensive they wouldn't be able to shoot as many people."

I am trying my best to stay out of any argument because I know the backgrounds and feelings and opinions of the people I work with. Of course most of them have no idea about guns or ammo and are just regurgitating what the media is telling everybody. I was just wondering what you guys would say in retort.

Thanks

The problem is you cant make them see otherwise how stupid that is. They are firmly attached to the teet and anything you say even if using facts is just wrong. Just like the whole hi cap mags they reason it may give the people more chance to kill more people. When if you look at facts of causes of deaths you have 3x as much of chance of dying from falling than from a gun related incident. The whole reason everyone is on the gun ban/ high taxed wagn is because its all about control of the people.

"A man with a gun is a citizen; A man without a gun is a subject."

A couple of really evil players could lure a cop into an ambush and kill him for his guns.  At a minimum they get his issued handgun, a shotgun or patrol rifle in the trunk and maybe a personally owned backup, and lots of ammo.

How would your ammo tax prevent this secenario?  Or did it cause that scenario?  Would some misguided person who wanted to feel good about their beliefs(anti-gun) create a situation where bad guys were killing just to get ammo to circumvent an exorbiant tax?

Ask the doo gooder is he/she is in favor of killing our police or military. 

It seems that i remember that there wuz a section in one of the supreme courts decisions that addressed this.  The loose pharaphrase wuz that:

"....attempts to regulate (...or excessively tax??...) ammunition are tatamount to regulating arms...".  That is a "no-no".  I doubt that a 250% tax would pass muster under this condition.  Maybee some of our guys with access to the legal opinions will opine on this.

leroy

Edited by leroy

I doubt it could happen. You have to understand that representatives in both House and Senate do from time to time

want to keep their job. This dog won't hunt because of this, and what Leroy said.

Is the proposal a 250% tax or to raise it 250%. Big difference, if it is raising 250% now you would be talking a 27.5% tax. Still sucks but it beats the 100% premium we are paying right now. I also will throw the theory out there that if they were to pass the tax it would put an end to the panic buying and in the long run ammo prices may just go down quite siginificantly. Reason being, the only reason people are panic buying is due to uncertainity. If the government would just do what its going to do you would remove the uncertainity and people would stop the panic buying, it would also eliminate the fair weather shooters who are stocking up way beyond their needs from the marketplace. Now after the manufacturers get caught up, the pipepline fills back up and if this is truly a supply and demand driven market prices should fall.