Glock newbie with basic barrel question

Tennjed

What kind of cost are you looking at for a replacement barrel for a glock 19?  Also what kind of money could you sell a new unshot factory 19 barrel for?  What brand barrels are good but reasonably priced?

I just picked up a new g4 19 and I shoot 100% lead reloads in my other guns. The plan was to start reloading plated bullets just for the glock.  If I can "trade" for an aftermarket barrel without being out much money I may do that
  • 1 month later...

Get a Loan Wolf replacement for around $120 shipped to your door. I have one for my wifes G19C. Had it round 6 or 7 years. Shot around 1000rnds of god knows everything through it with no issues. Good accurate barrels.  Factory barrels run around $100 or so as far as "GlockTalk" and other forums are concerned.....

I bought a Lone Wolf for my 10 mm but haven't shot with it yet . I also bought a Storm lake Conversion barrel for My G 30 to go from 45 ACP to 10 mm that should be here this week . I am planning on getting several more conversion barrels for my 40 and 357 models so I can shoot 9mm reloads . Seems Lone Wolf has a good selection and priced a little less than most others .

I would hold onto the barrel unless you never plan on selling the gun. They pop up on ebay all the time if you want a price .I also go back to the original barrel for carry. But that is just my thoughts.

I shoot a lot of lead thru my Glock stock barrel, never had a problem with it.

I have reloaded and shot lead, plated and copper jacket bullets thru G20, G22 and G19 with no trouble and they are pretty accurate with LSWC bullets.

For those who expect to shoot 1000rnds in one setting and be sloppy when cleanning the factory barrel.....well, that's when they get problems with shooting lead.

I target shoot with storm lake but carry with factory and suggest you do the same.

Part of the genius of Gaston Glock was his loose tolerances on his barrels thereby making the chamber a bit larger and forgiving and making for a far more reliable weapon but sacrificing accuracy and accepting a weakened brass secondary to allowing it to expand more (I never reload brass that has been fired through a factory Glock barrel). Aftermarket barrels, conversely, usually have very tight tolerances and a much tighter chamber. This makes for a far more accurate weapon that is less likely to allow for bulging of the brass, but also makes a jam far more likely to occur.

All that being said, if there comes a time when your life is on the line, reliability is far more important than accuracy and you probably aren't gonna be using cast lead in a self defense situation.