Ammo in Chattanooga

At Sportsmsns this morning they had a pretty good assortment of primers with a fair amount of 40, 45, and there was some odd ball calibers in self defense.

Monday seems to be the day to go to Sportsmans.   They sell out of 22 by 10-11am but they have most all 9 to 45 at least until Tuesday morning.  I picked up a UMC 250 round 9mm pack for $60 something around 11am.  At that time they still had several left.

I was aware they stock on Monday's, just trying to let people know what was still available. I figured most people can not be there at 9am on Monday. I have not been able to make it by early in the week and was surprised to see what was left. Edited by Patton
Since the craze I was hearing Monday's but there was a couple of Mondays that they had nothing new. They said check back Tuesday then Wednesday. I was there at 0900 when they were putting out primers so I don't know if they came in seperatly or they were just putting out a little at a time.

Monday seems to be the day to go to Sportsmans.   They sell out of 22 by 10-11am but they have most all 9 to 45 at least until Tuesday morning.  I picked up a UMC 250 round 9mm pack for $60 something around 11am.  At that time they still had several left.

I got the last one shortly before noon. They didn't get primers out until around 1130 so we were there a few hours. LoL! 

Guest BCR#1

I am trying to buy a crate of Polish X54r on strippers. If I succeed in said purchase, the strippers will be available for sale.

Bill

Guest Anonymous86

Ok guys. This is a Sportsman's Warehouse employee speaking here, and you need to pay close attention to what I am saying. All of our freight comes from a single distribution center in Utah. This is why we have a limited supply on hand and why we have to put a limit on the ammo customers are able to buy on a daily basis. The company has to divide the inventory in the distribution center between all the stores in the company, and our shipment doesn't always necessarily arrive on Monday. It varies anywhere between Sunday and Tuesday depending on the stops the driver has to make and weather conditions, and our store is not the only one he delivers to. There are also certain protocols that we must adhere to in order to get the ammo on the sales floor and in the customers' hands  such as counting how much ammo we have vs how much is on our truck list, which we do not have access to until the truck arrives, sorting the ammo, tax stamping the ammo, etc. This can take some time. So please remain patient with us as we are doing the best we can with what we have to work with. We have people lined up outside our doors before the store even opens on Monday mornings, and again we do have a limit on how much someone is able to purchase. 50 round boxes have a limit of 3 per day per customer and 100+ round boxes such as the 525 count brick boxes have a limit of 1 per day per customer. Because we do not have access to what we are receiving on the truck we are unable to divulge any info on what will be on the truck. Again, please continue to be patient with us as we continue to try and deliver the best possible service to our much appreciated customers. We all understand the frustrations people are feeling in more ways than you know.

Ok guys. This is a Sportsman's Warehouse employee speaking here, and you need to pay close attention to what I am saying. All of our freight comes from a single distribution center in Utah. This is why we have a limited supply on hand and why we have to put a limit on the ammo customers are able to buy on a daily basis. The company has to divide the inventory in the distribution center between all the stores in the company, and our shipment doesn't always necessarily arrive on Monday. It varies anywhere between Sunday and Tuesday depending on the stops the driver has to make and weather conditions, and our store is not the only one he delivers to. There are also certain protocols that we must adhere to in order to get the ammo on the sales floor and in the customers' hands  such as counting how much ammo we have vs how much is on our truck list, which we do not have access to until the truck arrives, sorting the ammo, tax stamping the ammo, etc. This can take some time. So please remain patient with us as we are doing the best we can with what we have to work with. We have people lined up outside our doors before the store even opens on Monday mornings, and again we do have a limit on how much someone is able to purchase. 50 round boxes have a limit of 3 per day per customer and 100+ round boxes such as the 525 count brick boxes have a limit of 1 per day per customer. Because we do not have access to what we are receiving on the truck we are unable to divulge any info on what will be on the truck. Again, please continue to be patient with us as we continue to try and deliver the best possible service to our much appreciated customers. We all understand the frustrations people are feeling in more ways than you know.

I would like to say that I think SW has done an awesome job.  The clearly stressed employees juggle the phone, the firearms, the reloading, the ammo, etc and patiently answer the same questions over and over for however many hours per day, week after week.  They were one of the first to put limits in place which has really helped to spread the supply around.  They have not price gouged.    Again, though the first week or 2 of the crisis were a bit hectic, still an awesome job! 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest RevScottie

I wish that Sportsman's and Academy would quit putting out all of their stock immediately. Stock it sometime during the day but quit encouraging this camping out nonsense. If you have to be at work at 8am or earlier your only hope to buy ammo is if they have some left at lunch time.

Driving by Academy in Hixson on shipment days it looks like they're filming an episode of Duck Dynasty with all of the camo clothed figures standing out front.

Guest Grout

Every day sight at that location

I wish that Sportsman's and Academy would quit putting out all of their stock immediately. Stock it sometime during the day but quit encouraging this camping out nonsense. If you have to be at work at 8am or earlier your only hope to buy ammo is if they have some left at lunch time.

Driving by Academy in Hixson on shipment days it looks like they're filming an episode of Duck Dynasty with all of the camo clothed figures standing out front.

Guest Anonymous86

First off we honestly don't encourage anything of the sort at Sportsman's. It puts a lot of unnecessary pressure and strain on not only them but also us when people do that, and we don't put everything out at once because we want everything to sell at once. It's simply because people are buying faster than what we can get out and can be received from the distribution center in Utah, and we only get one truck in per week. So we have no choice but to do it like that. If you have seen what the line for people waiting for ammo has been like for the past couple of weeks inside the store then you would understand how and why we sell out so fast. It's literally stretched halfway through the store for the last couple of weeks. Plus our ammo shipment is never the same, and we never know what we are going to get in or how much until the truck arrives as we do not have access to the truck list. We never get the same quantity of "x-product"  such as .22 LR or whatever. So we can never make any guarantees about what is coming in, how much of it we will be getting... etc. So really the only way people can get what they want is to to try and get their timing right when they shop at our location, and even I don't know what to tell people when it comes to that, and I'm an employee there...especially since we are unable to set anything ammo/firearm related to the side for a customer and hold it for them for later pick up or take payments over the phone. It's strictly first come first serve for the customers who are there physically in person.  We thought our truck would be there on Monday morning, but our driver got caught in a snow storm coming in from out west, and it put him behind schedule. So you see there are a number of things that can affect our business. So please try to bear with us. We're making every effort possible to keep our customers happy. Sorry for any inconvenience or frustrations you are coming across during this time. Believe me you're not alone. We get at least 10k+ people who come in our store or call on the phone who say the same things.

Edited by Anonymous86

SW is a fantastic place... buy a fair amount from them... I can assure you that they seem to be controlling the "behind the curtain pre buy" than anybody. Ammo is no different than any drug, alcohol, etc on the black market. People are willing to do odd stuff because of greed...

Guest RevScottie
My point is just because you get a truck in on Monday morning doesn't mean that you immediately walk the entire shipment up to the service desk and start selling it. Every time I'm in SW or Academy I hear the same story of we get a truck in on Monday and we open at 8am. This is encouraging folks to camp out. If no one knew when the merchandise would actually hit the shelves it would reduce this. I know in the long run it's all about making money but it seems to me there are some better ways to manage these shortages. Personally it just forces me to buy from other sources and that habit will likely continue even after the shortages end.
Guest BCR#1

First off we honestly don't encourage anything of the sort at Sportsman's. It puts a lot of unnecessary pressure and strain on not only them but also us when people do that, and we don't put everything out at once because we want everything to sell at once. It's simply because people are buying faster than what we can get out and can be received from the distribution center in Utah, and we only get one truck in per week. So we have no choice but to do it like that. If you have seen what the line for people waiting for ammo has been like for the past couple of weeks inside the store then you would understand how and why we sell out so fast. It's literally stretched halfway through the store for the last couple of weeks. Plus our ammo shipment is never the same, and we never know what we are going to get in or how much until the truck arrives as we do not have access to the truck list. We never get the same quantity of "x-product"  such as .22 LR or whatever. So we can never make any guarantees about what is coming in, how much of it we will be getting... etc. So really the only way people can get what they want is to to try and get their timing right when they shop at our location, and even I don't know what to tell people when it comes to that, and I'm an employee there...especially since we are unable to set anything ammo/firearm related to the side for a customer and hold it for them for later pick up or take payments over the phone. It's strictly first come first serve for the customers who are there physically in person.  We thought our truck would be there on Monday morning, but our driver got caught in a snow storm coming in from out west, and it put him behind schedule. So you see there are a number of things that can affect our business. So please try to bear with us. We're making every effort possible to keep our customers happy. Sorry for any inconvenience or frustrations you are coming across during this time. Believe me you're not alone. We get at least 10k+ people who come in our store or call on the phone who say the same things.

I don't even waste my time coming in your store anymore. There is never any ammo I want to buy or any primers, powder or bullets for reloading. The resellers lined up on whatever day you get new stock in is pathedic. Karma is a bitch and I hope they get theirs some day soon.

As for the unwanted stress on you and the other employees, deal with it or find another line of work. The almighty dollar rules and I'll bet the store manager is giddy about it too.

Edited by BCR#1
I love sw and go there regularly. Even if they dont have any ammo for me, its still just a nice store to walk around and build up a wish list, and my daughter loves petting the stuffed bear in the back lol. I stopped by there regularly back before the panic hit, so im not one of "those guys"

the re-sellers are making it hard for the normal guy to get any ammo at a regular price.   

Yes they are.... a family at Walmart bought 8- 550 round bricks and right there out loud laughed that they resell it on gunbroker and " roll in the dough"... Meanwhile rightful gun owners who have real jobs and actually pay income tax stood in awe at the counter... sheeeesh

Guest RevScottie

The problem is there is little risk for the people buying up ammo for resale because they know even if they don't make a profit they can always get rid of the ammo for what they payed for it. I feel that the big retailers are encouraging this type of activity by informing the public of when "the truck" arrives. Delay putting that stock on the shelves for 12-24 hours and don't tell the public when it is going to be available and it will certainly curb some of the folks buying to resell. The way it is now the resellers hit SW on Monday, Academy on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, and Walmart daily. I bet you that you will see the same people in those lines every day.

I believe Sportmans Warehouse has handled the situation extremely well. I have walked in at 4pm on a Tuesday and purchased 22's lately. I stood in line yesterday and they said try back on Tuesday or Wednesday because the truck did not arrive. They said it would be put out as soon as it was unloaded and stamped. Edited by Patton
Guest RevScottie

Patton thats another thing I hate about SW. Standing in line at the service desk just to find out they are out of what I'm looking for.

The problem is there is little risk for the people buying up ammo for resale because they know even if they don't make a profit they can always get rid of the ammo for what they payed for it. I feel that the big retailers are encouraging this type of activity by informing the public of when "the truck" arrives. Delay putting that stock on the shelves for 12-24 hours and don't tell the public when it is going to be available and it will certainly curb some of the folks buying to resell. The way it is now the resellers hit SW on Monday, Academy on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, and Walmart daily. I bet you that you will see the same people in those lines every day.

That is a fact... I have seen a family of 3 on a regular basis. The first time they tried to lie to Walmart " no, we are all different households"... the manager asked for ID from all of the for legal age of purchase.... He said hmmmm... all of your address's match. BUSTED... That was in Winter Haven Florida. I was tickled pink. They could only buy 1 525 box that day, because of the new bulk policy. Instead of 8!

Patton thats another thing I hate about SW. Standing in line at the service desk just to find out they are out of what I'm looking for.

I stood in line outside, as soon as the manager came in he told the 15 of us that they did not receive a truck. He said the ammo will be put out as soon as it is available, anytime on Tuesday or Wednesday.