Ammo in Chattanooga

please explain to me how small rifle primers can work for small pistol primers. I have those and magnum small pistol

The smal magnum pistols will work in both 9mm and .40 and you should use those IMHO for your pistol efforts, at least to get started.  If you run out of that you can try the rifle primers. 

Pistol, rifle, magnum --- they are just words on the box.   They are all very similar products and it would not astonish me if I were told the manufacturers just make the same thing and change the label up to save costs.  Maybe there is a difference, maybe not.  I think the rifle primers have thicker metal on the impact area, so are a little tougher and can be hit harder?  /shrug  Just be careful.  If using something that is not exactly what you should be using, drop the powder charge down some, ask questions, and make sure you do it safely.  You can mix and match a lot of things in reloading, if you are careful and smart about it.

Edited by Jonnin
You should only use small pistol primers. Do not use anything else. If you find small magnum primers let me know I need to load up some380, 9mm, and .40.

Seriously, even with a chronograph I doubt you will tell a difference between the different primers. Supposedly rifle primers are harder so the worse that may happen is some weak strikes.

I bought 6k small & large pistol primers at Outpost Armory.  They had pallets of primers, rifle as well.  Some powder, Trail Boss I use and several I've never used before.  They had a lot of guns, ammo & supplies.  It was worth the trip from the Cleveland range after the cowboy match.

Cherokee Slim

I bought 6k small & large pistol primers at Outpost Armory.  They had pallets of primers, rifle as well.  Some powder, Trail Boss I use and several I've never used before.  They had a lot of guns, ammo & supplies.  It was worth the trip from the Cleveland range after the cowboy match.

Cherokee Slim

Did they have Winchester small pistol? Price?

Cherokee Slim

Which outpost armory isn't it close to Nashville ?
Guest TankerHC

I have plenty of .22 CCI coming tomorrow, same with .38, and a bunch of other Calibers no one can get, apparently. Have 4 cases of 2 3/4 inch number 8 12 gauge. Had a guy complaining today because of a 30 cent difference in the prices at Walmart. im not walmart, anything I do eats directly into what little profit there is. Ammo isnt hard to come by, you just have to buy a lot of it.

I have plenty of .22 CCI coming tomorrow, same with .38, and a bunch of other Calibers no one can get, apparently. Have 4 cases of 2 3/4 inch number 8 12 gauge. Had a guy complaining today because of a 30 cent difference in the prices at Walmart. im not walmart, anything I do eats directly into what little profit there is. Ammo isnt hard to come by, you just have to buy a lot of it.

Unless Wal-Mart is across the street 30 cents wouldn't be worth my time.  Some people place very little value on their own time.

sportsmans warehouse has/had /22 today, 525 gold painted rem.  They were selling either AR or AK as well, I didnt bother them (big crowd) on what it was.  Its all up at the service desk now, NOT in the gun area.  They probably had a sign that said that  but I did not see it.   This was at 4:30 or so that I got a box.

I just lef there at 7:50pm and they had a fair amount of 9mm 40 and some .223. Since I have some of each I didn't buy any ammo but I did finally get some small rifle primers. If everyone would buy what they NEED and not hoard then things will return to normal and then people can slowly build up their reserves.
  • Like 1

I don't think its the hoarders or preppers doing most of it so much as people wanting to flip for 100%+ profits it at the next show or online etc.

Catch 22, until the shelves DO fill up again, people will keep trying to make a buck.  But they are the ones buying it.  Recovery is gonna be slow.

Guest Fruit jar

I was thinking of selling some of my 22 lr ammo for twice the price that I paid. It would be half of what I hear from gun shows. But I would have to restock at a higher price. That's not why I bought it while it was on sale.

I traded a couple of bricks of .22LR for some .223 but not looking to sell any outright. If I find .223 or .22 at a good price I buy what I can. Most of my shooting has been limited to .22LR at this time and will not pay more then $25 a brick. All I need now is some .308 for the M1A, but it's not like I need to shoot that every week.

Walmart in Brainerd has about 20 boxes of .22 shorts or at least they did yesterday.it was the 50 rd boxes priced at .$3 and change.

They had 3 boxes of 223 yesterday, too. I left it in the case, but I'm sure it didn't last long. I saw the shorts there, too. They also had various other larger rifle ammo. More than I have seen in a while in a Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

academy @ hamilton place had .22 at the service desk.

I arrived at 8am and they had almost sold out of CCI 100 round plastic boxs and had

a fair number of 50 rounc CCI blazer boxes left.   It won't last much longer,  depending on how hard up you are you might get a 50 round box in the next 1/2 hour though.

academy @ hamilton place had .22 at the service desk.

I arrived at 8am and they had almost sold out of CCI 100 round plastic boxs and had
a fair number of 50 rounc CCI blazer boxes left. It won't last much longer, depending on how hard up you are you might get a 50 round box in the next 1/2 hour though.

Still a 1 box limit?