Help me decide what kind of silencer to get.

I've decided I would like to get a silencer but I'm not sure what caliber to get it in. I'd like to spend the money just once an cover as many firearms as I can. Just recently I moved all of my firearms, save for one bolt gun, to just 3 calibers. 9mm (4 handguns), 5.56/.223 (3 ARs), and .22lr (2 handguns and 3 rifles). I understand that you can put larger caliber silencers on smaller caliber firearms but I'm not sure when you get diminishing returns or if it becomes dangerous. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given your options, you'd be better off getting 3 different suppressors. .22 is filthy and requires a take down can (and is super cheap). You could get a 7.62 can and shoot 5.56 through it but if all you have/ plan on having is 5.56, stick with it. Same idea for the pistol can.

I dont think you're going to find a can that you can shoot all 3 through. You could shoot .22 through the 5.56 can but it is strongly discouraged due to the residue of the .22.

I'd go with a dedicated .22 can such as the SilencerCo Sparrow and then maybe a .45 Osprey to cover all the other pistol calibers. As far as rifle cans I'd go with one to cover the largest cailber you would see yourself shooting and then use it for anything else smaller. Yeah you'd end up with three cans but you'd have almost anything you could shoot covered. And as far as which one to buy first? That would all depend on your shooting habits. I went with .22 first since it's cheap and almost Hollywood quiet.

I was kind of leaning towards the .22 but I think your opinions have sealed the deal. Thanks. I live in the Oak Ridge area and I remember someone around here sells them but I can't recall what the companies name is.

Well once I get my stamp back around Marchish you're more than welcome to try out my Sparrow. I live about 5 minutes down the road from ORSA but with how quiet this can will be I'm sure we could shoot it just about anywhere! :)  I'll be putting it on my Ruger Lite and my Savage BTVS I just had threaded.

Edited by gnmwilliams

a liberty mystic would cover the .22 and 9mm.  Its a take apart can, so you can clean it.  It can suppress .223 but you must keep the rate of fire slow and allow the can to cool.  Its pretty versitile as far as calibers go.  just no .40 or .45 cal bullets

http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html

not sure you shouldnt get dedicated can for each caliber, but this answers your question

Would you guys recommend the same can for a 22 rifle and 22 pistol?

I'd say for nothing more than money yes. I've been able to shoot the Sparrow I have on hold at the range Im buying it from on both my pistol and rifle and absolutely love it. However I will say I have nothing to compare it to but would not consider buying anything else based on how well it works on both.

Guest Pineapple Devil

I have a SWR Spectre II. I'm in Knoxville. I'd be more than willing to meet up with some of you guys to shoot somewhere outdoors to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Justin@libertysuppressors

We offer demo's every day from 11-12 or 4-5. All you need to do is give us a call (706) 657-7944 and we will get you set up to come shoot through our cans.

Well once I get my stamp back around Marchish you're more than welcome to try out my Sparrow. I live about 5 minutes down the road from ORSA but with how quiet this can will be I'm sure we could shoot it just about anywhere! :)  I'll be putting it on my Ruger Lite and my Savage BTVS I just had threaded.

Who threaded your Savage ?