Feinstein's actual bill

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=9a9270d5-ce4d-49fb-9b2f-69e69f517fb4

Looks like right out of the gate she wants to classify everything possible as an "assault weapon" including pistols and .22lr guns

Then it goes on to even ban the parts of AR's/ak's etc:

- banned

19 ‘‘(L) Any combination of parts from which a 
20 firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) 
21 can be assembled. 
22 ‘‘(M) The frame or receiver of a rifle or shot-
23 gun described in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (F), 
24 (G), (H), (J), or (K).

Ah, thanks, at last.

You can keep up with official actions here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d113:1:./temp/~bdKEkh:@@@L&summ2=m&|/home/LegislativeData.php|

Text still hasn't shown up there officially by GPO.

- OS

It looks like most of the cosponsors are in the north east, maybe they should just work on a regional bill, then install massive gun scanners at the border before driving into one of those states

• Like 1

OS, just seen that Holder's proposed changes are the same way. So the government website actually links you to the file being hosted at amazon.com wtf?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2013-01529.pdf

Ya got me. I've long been frustrated trying to find bills, amendments to them, proposed changes to existing CFRs that "explain" USCs, and etc.

- OS

Hypothetical, but would it be possible for a manufacturer to completely redesign a exempted firearm and manufacture a weapon using an older model number.   Not that i think this has any chance of passing, im just curious.

Well, if it's redesigned to fit the parameters in the law, it wouldn't have any of the capability of what it's trying to replace, so why?

- OS

Well, if it's redesigned to fit the parameters in the law, it wouldn't have any of the capability of what it's trying to replace, so why?

- OS

Because the listeted firearms are by name exempted from the law and therefore could be redisigned to any peramiters they want. 

Because the listeted firearms are by name exempted from the law and therefore could be redisigned to any peramiters they want. 

The ones listed by name are actually double-banned because the bill also lists the criteria that bans "assault weapons" (i.e., flash hider, pistol grip, detachable mag, etc.)

The ones listed by name are actually double-banned because the bill also lists the criteria that bans "assault weapons" (i.e., flash hider, pistol grip, detachable mag, etc.)

Yep, read the universal config sections.

For just one of the many examples, a semi-auto rifle that can take a detachable mag is banned if it has a  threaded barrel whether it's named or not. So no matter how you "redesigned" it, you couldn't make a semi-auto with a threaded barrel, simple as that.

- OS

Maybe its just my reading, but the way i read it is appendex A is specifically exempted from the entire law.  So if a manufacturer renamed a banned gun to match something in appendix A it could hypothetically be a legal end run around the law.

Edited by c.a.willard

Maybe its just my reading, but the way i read it is appendex A is specifically exempted from the entire law.  So if a manufacturer renamed a banned gun to match something in appendix A it could hypothetically be a legal end run around the law.

Renaming a specifically banned firearm to a specifically exempted firearm?

I think Shakespeare's line would legally apply: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Or in this case, "An R-15 by any other name would smell as sour".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You know what, I don't see anything in the whole bill about ending private sales, registration, etc?

And unless I didn't get it, looks like grandfathered weapons/mags can still be sold/transferred.

Rather surprising in the total scheme of things.

Maybe this is a big head fake, figuring that this one can only fail, so they can more easily enact "ending gun show loophole" and/or registration through another bill, since ending private sales seems the most likely thing to get done of everything proposed by the antis thus far.

'Course, there's a "gun show loophole" already has bill filed from the House,

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-h141/show

but there's a bunch of gun related bills filed there as far as I know, seems anything would have to come out of the Senate first to have any pressure on he House.

Blumenthal is supposedly gonna do an ammo restriction bill from the Senate, can't see where that's been filed yet though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You know what, I don't see anything in the whole bill about ending private sales, registration, etc?

And unless I didn't get it, looks like grandfathered weapons/mags can still be sold/transferred.

Rather surprising in the total scheme of things.

Maybe this is a big head fake, figuring that this one can only fail, so they can more easily enact "ending gun show loophole" and/or registration through another bill, since ending private sales seems the most likely thing to get done of everything proposed by the antis thus far.

'Course, there's a "gun show loophole" already has bill filed from the House,

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-h141/show

but there's a bunch of gun related bills filed there as far as I know, seems anything would have to come out of the Senate first to have any pressure on he House.

Blumenthal is supposedly gonna do an ammo restriction bill from the Senate, can't see where that's been filed yet though.

- OS

I couldn't find it either and was also surprised. Maybe she backed off the registration and NFA stuff because she was told that would automatically kill the bill?

I couldn't find it either and was also surprised. Maybe she backed off the registration and NFA stuff because she was told that would automatically kill the bill?

I think it's more that the AWB/mag ban would kill the registration part. More I think about it, the more that it makes sense for the grabbers to attack on three separate fronts:

- firearms / mags themselves

- background checks / registration

- ammo

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I expect sales of Ruger Mini-14 ... rifles to skyrocket.

All Mini14's have barrel shrouds, and the Tactical and Target models have threaded barrels, so not sure any Mini model would be okay after passage of the thing.

And I guess they'd have to cease manufacture of all folding or telescoping or barrel shrouded or hand gripped stocks for them.

- OS

All Mini14's have barrel shrouds, and the Tactical and Target models have threaded barrels, so not sure any Mini model would be okay after passage of the thing.

And I guess they'd have to cease manufacture of all folding or telescoping or barrel shrouded or hand gripped stocks for them.

- OS

Just about anything with a brake/flash supressor technically has a threaded barrel, so that's a pretty widespread definition.

Edited by Sam1