Knife Rights Lobby and New Knife Legislation introduced in TN.

Knife Rights is a small lobby trying to reform our knife laws across the nation, with great success in getting auto laws repealed and general carry laws dramatically simplified. Below is a link to their website.

http://kniferights.org/

They have informed me via e-mail newsletter of new legislation that has been introduced that would repeal the auto and 4 inch laws across the state. Please consider contacting your elected officials and asking for their support. The Knife Rights newsletter is included below.

Knife Rights News Slice eBlast - January 31, 2013

Help Get the Word Out! 

Tennessee Knife Rights Bills Introduced

Two companion Knife Rights requested bills have been introduced in the Tennessee Senate and House that would enact Knife Law Preemption, repeal Tennessee's antiquated ban on automatic knives (switchblades) and repeal the the state's four-inch knife length limitation.  

Senate Bill SB1015 was introduced by Senator Mike Bell and House Bill HB0581 was introduced by Rep. Vance Dennis.   

Preemption prevents the creation of, or eliminates, a patchwork of ordinances and rules which serve to confuse or entrap those traveling within or through the state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of state knife laws everywhere in a state. Knife Rights has passed similar Knife Preemption Laws in Arizona, Utah, New Hampshire and Georgia and repealed irrational knife bans in New Hampshire, Washington and Missouri.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your Senator and Representative and ask them to support SB1015 and HB0581, respectively.  Click here to locate your Legislators, and/or the Legislators who represent where you work or travel.

Response form Bill Dunn:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Pat,

Thank you for contacting me.  I am good friends with Sen. Bell and will discuss this proposal with him.  It is always good to review current laws and see where they need updating.

Rep. Bill Dunn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would liked to have seen him give me a positive "YES" Vote.

But as least he will "review" it. Let's hope he see it our way.

Edited by TnShooter83
I never understood the rational (if any) behind knife laws like these.

In reality, an auto-opening knife is no more dangerous than any other knife, nor is a double-edged blade, vs a single edge or a blade with XY or Z length.

Again it is all about the person who is wielding the tool in question & whether or not they intend to do unlawful acts with it, no amount of legislation will prevent an evil person from doing evil things, all legislation like this does is create inconviences for law-abiding folks & infringes upon our individual liberties.

Sorry I am sort of rambling here but I fully support the removal of these silly restrictions so that I don't have to worry about some over-zelious rookie giving me a ticket or arresting me for having an "illegal-length" fillet knife in my tackle box.
  • 2 weeks later...

I never understood the rational (if any) behind knife laws like these.

To me, seems equivalent to banning "assault rifles". The main difference is design and some functionality, but the purpose is the same, yet because of these design differences, I guess they(restricted knives) just appear scarier to those passing the laws. Or at least that it how it seems to me. But, one man's opinion carries nothing; I reckon.