TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Another way to think of it. If we got swb ban repealed with no preemption then what do you think all the cities and towns would do? They would have passed bans instantly. Now when we do it they can't.

But that was never on the table.  Not really an accurate way to look at it in my opinion.  

Guest KiloFive
I don't know, Cap. I lean toward thinking fear will rule local town's decisions. Typical small town busybody men and women who rule the local roost are not known for their bravery. The little turds who ran for class office in high school and college, along with their hall monitors, never left us. They now spend all day passing local ordinances that micromanage everyone else.

God & Tribe
Guest KiloFive
Todd,
Is there any talk about expanded edged weapon/baton privileges for CCW as a compromise if the legislature gets skittish about unlimited knife carry?

God & Tribe

I don't know, Cap. I lean toward thinking fear will rule local town's decisions. Typical small town busybody men and women who rule the local roost are not known for their bravery. The little turds who ran for class office in high school and college, along with their hall monitors, never left us. They now spend all day passing local ordinances that micromanage everyone else.

God & Tribe

That was never on the table.  There was never a bill or a suggestion that had the ban repealed without the pre-emption clause.  Was never going to happen.  

Todd,
Is there any talk about expanded edged weapon/baton privileges for CCW as a compromise if the legislature gets skittish about unlimited knife carry?

God & Tribe

This should never be considered.  If we allow this to happen, its like saying we are okay with only having half our rights.  We should fight for everything even if it takes a few years.  

Guest KiloFive
Realpolitik. All or nothing gets you nothing. I'll take what I can get, continuing to push and push in an effort to erode the opposition.

I wish it were different.

God & Tribe

KiloFive,

We have talked about that in some places. We would much rather have all law abiding citizens be able to own the tools they want to. So we go for the whole enchilada. We choose not to set precedent for that in say TN because then when we go to say Kansas they say "well let's just limit it to what you did in TN" so that makes the national strategy harder.

TR

Kilo, GL addressed your question previously.  

Realpolitik. All or nothing gets you nothing. I'll take what I can get, continuing to push and push in an effort to erode the opposition.

I wish it were different.

God & Tribe

I'd rather not settle for half my rights.  

Someone comes to your house, steals everything you own.  You go over and take back your clothes but they won't let you have anything else back.  

"Ehh, its good enough.  At least I got something back."  

Sorry, doesn't work for me. 

Guest gunlobbyist

Todd,

God & Tribe

No we think we can get it all with the right strategy. This thing went sideways because it went to the Ways and Means Committee. I think we can almost certainly avoid that in the future. Now having said that ANYTHING can happen in the legislature!

Guest DCritter

Thanks for the explanations, guys. :up:

Who is the organization fighting for us? I'd like to make a small donation to help. :usa:

Thanks,

John

That would be Knife Rights.  Thanks for your support.  And, this is a particularly good time to donate because we have just launched our Ultimate Steelâ„¢ Knives, Guns & More Spectacular! With an appropriate donation you are elegible to WIN YOUR CHOICE of prize(es) from over $100,000 worth of prizes!  Check it out here:  [url="http://www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel"]www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel[/URL]

Knife Rights has a strategy that is working, as you can see from the list below of what we have accomplished so far.  Each piece of legislation we pass builds on our prior successes.  Sometimes it takes a few tries, sometimes we don't get it all done in one piece of legislation, but it all helps move things forward and each victory makes it easier when we go to the next state or the next piece of legislation.

Here's a brief listing of what Knife Rights has accomplished so far and you will note how each success leads to us getting more done the following year.  Knife Rights is Getting It Doneâ„¢:

• Kansas Enacts Knife Law Preemption and Repeals Bans on Switchblades, Dirks, Daggers & Stilettos
• Alaska Passes Knife Law Preemption and Repeals Ban on Switchblades
• Knife Rights Bills running in:
  Tennessee
  Vermont
  Oklahoma
  Texas
  Indiana
  Arkansas
   (and we are not done with announcements for this year...)
• Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit continues against New York City
• Fighting Anti-Knife Bill in NJ

• GA Knife Law Preemption Bill
• MO Switchblade Ban Repealed
• WA Pro-Knife Bill Legalizes Assisted-Openers, Manufacture of Switchblades

• UT and NH Knife Law Preemption Bills
• WA, NV & FL - Stopped Anti-Knife Bills
• Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit filed against New York City

• AZ Knife Law Preemption Bill - 1st in Nation
• NH Ban on Switchblades, Dirks, Daggers & Stilettos Repealed

• 5th Exception to Federal Switchblade Act Protecting One-Hand Opening Folders

Thanks for your support!

Edited by DCritter
Guest 270win

When will we get statewide pre emption for handgun carry in parks?  When will the NRA lobby for that hard in Tennessee?  Also when will the NRA fix the stupid 39-17-1359, so that people do not get fined over a sign (although it hasn't happened that we know of, just get rid of it).

Guest 270win

Knife rights and gun rights are all the same.  We have the right to carry both, but unfortunately our state government restricts it somewhat for mainly emotional reasons.

But this thread is specifically about a bill dealing with only knife issues.  The lobbyists posting here work for knife organizations.  That is question that is better posed to the NRA or in a different part of the forum.  

Guest KiloFive
Thks Cap and GL, for answering my questions.

I'm all for pushing hard on the whole thing. Don't misunderstand. I'm not a conciliatory guy. If the burglar is stealing my crap, I'll claw back all I can. But if all I can grab as he leaves is one thing, I'm grabbing that one thing. This is not an endorsement of compromise. It is an endorsement of grabbing an ounce of flesh if I can't get my full pound. I don't participate in politics. So, my skill level in that arena is weak. Of course, I demand my full freedom.

I'm expectant that next year we will get the full happy meal if we keep the pressure on.

God & Tribe

That would be Knife Rights.  Thanks for your support.  And, this is a particularly good time to donate because we have just launched our Ultimate Steelâ„¢ Knives, Guns & More Spectacular! With an appropriate donation you are elegible to WIN YOUR CHOICE of prize(es) from over $100,000 worth of prizes!  Check it out here:  www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Knife Rights has a strategy that is working, as you can see from the list below of what we have accomplished so far.  Each piece of legislation we pass builds on our prior successes.  Sometimes it takes a few tries, sometimes we don't get it all done in one piece of legislation, but it all helps move things forward and each victory makes it easier when we go to the next state or the next piece of legislation.

Here's a brief listing of what Knife Rights has accomplished so far and you will note how each success leads to us getting more done the following year.  Knife Rights is Getting It Doneâ„¢:

• Kansas Enacts Knife Law Preemption and Repeals Bans on Switchblades, Dirks, Daggers & Stilettos
• Alaska Passes Knife Law Preemption and Repeals Ban on Switchblades
• Knife Rights Bills running in:
  Tennessee
  Vermont
  Oklahoma
  Texas
  Indiana
  Arkansas
   (and we are not done with announcements for this year...)
• Fighting Anti-Knife Bill in NJ

• GA Knife Law Preemption Bill
• MO Switchblade Ban Repealed
• WA Pro-Knife Bill Legalizes Assisted-Openers, Manufacture of Switchblades

• UT and NH Knife Law Preemption Bills
• WA, NV & FL - Stopped Anti-Knife Bills
• Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit filed against New York City

• AZ Knife Law Preemption Bill - 1st in Nation
• NH Ban on Switchblades, Dirks, Daggers & Stilettos Repealed

• 5th Exception to Federal Switchblade Act Protecting One-Hand Opening Folders

Thanks for your support!

Thanks for the link. Heading over to donate now. :up:

Guest gunlobbyist

Hello All

HB581/SB1501 just passed it's final hurdle in the Senate the vote was 27 - 4 it now goes to Governor Haslam for his signature! There is no vote detail posted yet.

Thank you to everybody who made calls and sent emails.

I got a note right after the vote from Senator Mike Bell the bill's sponsor saying "We'll get the rest next year!"

Todd

Guest gunlobbyist
Tennessee Knife Law Preemption Bill Passed
CALL & EMAIL Governor Haslam!   
The Tennessee Senate, on a vote of 27-4, concurred on the House amended Knife Rights Knife Law Preemption bill, sending it to Governor Haslam. Please call AND email Governor Bill Haslam and ask him to sign SB1015/HB0581: 615-741-2001 - bill.haslam@tn.gov 

Knife Rights would like to thank the bill sponsors, Sen. Mike Bell and Rep. Vance Dennis, for their efforts to get this bill passed . 

SB1015/HB0581 originally included language to repeal the Tennessee ban on switchblade knives and knives over 4-inches long, as well as enact Knife Law Preemption. It passed the Senate overwhelmingly, but was amended in the House after a last minute hyperbolic misinformation campaign in opposition to those repeal portions of the bill by the Tennessee Sheriff's Association.  

Testimony by their executive director included such outlandish remarks about switchblades as being intimidating because, "it even sounds like a shotgun rack, if you want to get right down to it."

What that has to do with whether a knife should be legal or not, we are not at all sure. Moreover, an automatic sounds no different than most any other one-hand opening knife when opened aggressively. Perhaps the Sheriffs would like to outlaw Harleys because they sound more intimidating that a Vespa scooter?

As sometimes occurs in the legislative process, we were faced with the choice of moving what is arguably the most important part of the bill, preemption, and coming back next year on the rest, or seeing the bill die altogether. Knife Rights is pleased to "take the win" on Knife Law Preemption, our state legislative priority.  

Tennessee is the seventh state to pass Knife Law Preemption since Knife Rights passed the first-in-the-nation Knife Law Preemption bill in Arizona in 2010, and the third state this year, following Kansas and Alaska.

Sponsors Bell and Dennis have assured us that they will be back next session with a bill to repeal the ban on switchblades and knives over 4-inches long and with time to counter the Tennessee Sherriff's Association's irrational misinformation, and your help, we are confident we will get it done.

Meanwhile, please help us finish off this effort. Call AND email Governor Bill Haslam and ask him to sign SB1015/HB0581:  615-741-2001  bill.haslam@tn.gov

When you call and email, keep it polite, short and to the point. Simply ask the Governor to please sign SB1015/HB0581 as soon as possible.  

email sent........ Honestly from a personal standpoint the preemption is more important to me than the blade length. I carry a fixed blade shorter than 4" and travel a bit and as such am more concerned with my EDC knife running afoul of a law requiring shorter blades in certain municipalities than I am concerned with not being able to carry a 5" blade or a switchblade. So passing this law is a definite improvement. Now next year maybe we can get the rest of the package passed. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke