TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Guest ancient_serpent

I really appreciate the efforts of the knife rights organization and everyone that took the time to write or call in. 

That said, I don't like how this feels.

A bill like this should stand on its own, I had hoped that the obvious restriction against bearing arms would be recognized by the committee members on it's own merits. I understand the strategy of getting the first part (state law preempts local ordinances) and then getting the rest later, but it disappoints me that a bill designed to enhance individual freedom needs a strategy like this to pass. 

I think that the need to maneuver like this speaks volumes about the character of our government. We have to piecemeal legislation for our own freedom? Like beggars or supplicants? 

Just doesn't sit well with me. 

Guest KiloFive
We also can't forget that the vast majority of people have a visceral fear of knives far beyond that of firearms. I train regularly with rubber training knives in an environment where several martial arts are practiced. I am the only one who has been asked not to do so...not the guys with wooden swords, not the MMA guys...just me because it is "very frightening and disturbing". The thought that someone is CAPABLE with a knife frightens the sheep badly.

With this in mind I am not surprised that there is such strong resistance to this.

BTW, no reply from Sheriff Ashe, yet.

God & Tribe
Guest gunlobbyist

I really appreciate the efforts of the knife rights organization and everyone that took the time to write or call in. 

That said, I don't like how this feels.

A bill like this should stand on its own, I had hoped that the obvious restriction against bearing arms would be recognized by the committee members on it's own merits. I understand the strategy of getting the first part (state law preempts local ordinances) and then getting the rest later, but it disappoints me that a bill designed to enhance individual freedom needs a strategy like this to pass. 

I think that the need to maneuver like this speaks volumes about the character of our government. We have to piecemeal legislation for our own freedom? Like beggars or supplicants? 

Just doesn't sit well with me. 

It doesnt sit well with any of us but we need you to call and write in and get your friends asd family to also!!!

Guest KiloFive
A bill increasing freedom needs this strategy because you have an Enemy. This enemy hates freedom, loves control, and has every reason to see you fail.

The essence of human existence is gang warfare.

God & Tribe
Guest ancient_serpent

I know, and I have written every single committee member. I'm continually promoting this bill on my FB page and on another gun forum. Like I said, I'm behind the bill and understand the overall strategy, I just hate that this is what it takes to restore freedom. 

Bill passed Calendar & Rules and is on the schedule for Full House Tuesday 4/16/2013

At least something is moving. Hope it passes through with out any problem and that in the not too distant future a bill similar to the original is introduced.

Guest DCritter

Can anything be amended at this point?

God & Tribe

Absent something extraordinary, once a deal is done, that's it.  That's how deals like this work.  Nature of the beast.  Since we don't anticipate anything extraordinary in the next 24 hours,...  As this point not much to be done but wait.  We'll be back next year, bet on it!

Guest 270win

It should be amended to pre empt the parks for handgun carry but the bed wetter politicians won't do that because they answer to a few sheriffs.

Guest DCritter

How does the "conference committee" process work in the state legislature?  I assume that the Senate will have to approve the bill as amended....

That is correct.  Pretty much pro forma in a case like this, again, absent some extraordinary circumstances, which we don't expect. 

Guest gunlobbyist

The bill passed the House as amended today 77 - 18 it now goes to the Senate for a concurrence vote on the amended bill. I am very hopeful it will pass.

This bill is a BIG step in the right direction. If it avoided the squishy finance committee we could have beaten the sheriffs. Now we know who our enemies are and what their arguments. are. We will have a plan for them next session. 

Todd

Guest KiloFive
The bill passed the House as amended today 77 - 18 it now goes to the Senate for a concurrence vote on the amended bill. I am very hopeful it will pass.

This bill is a BIG step in the right direction. If it avoided the squishy finance committee we could have beaten the sheriffs. Now we know who our enemies are and what their arguments. are. We will have a plan for them next session. 

Todd

Thank you, Todd. Looking forward to next year!

God & Tribe
Guest DCritter

So bottom line... If this bill passes, what do we gain in knife rights?

Preemption is the foundation for ensuring that any improvement in state knife laws is not contravened by local authorities. That's why Knife Law Preemption is our number one national legislative priority.

Individual Constitutional Rights should not be left to discretion of local governments. State preemption of the law is commonplace for all individual civil rights.

Knife Law Preemption makes the state the sole authority on knife law. It repeals the confusing patchwork of local laws and ordinances more restrictive than state law that trap unwary citizens and prevents passage of such local laws and ordinances in the future.

In this particular case, this law will immediately eliminate all current existing local ordinances more restrictive than state law.  So those towns where, for example, there is a 3-inch length limit will now have to abide by the state 4-inch length limit. So, that's the immediate benefit.  Tennessee residents and those traveling through Tennessee no longer have to have any worries that crossing a city line will make their otherwise Tennessee legal knife illegal.

Of equal or greater  importance, preemption ensure that when we come back next year and fix Tennessee knife laws by eliminating length limits and the ban on automatics, that urban areas that might take issue with these commonsense improvements cannot arbitrarily roll back the clock, or worse, and implement more severe restrictions for their municipality. With preemption, once we fix the state law, that's it.  The law is fixed for the entire state.

Just by way of explanation, with Knife Law Preemption  we are simply following along ground well-plowed by the Second Amendment community with regards to firearms.  Starting over a decade ago, they worked hard to make firearms law preemption a priority for the same reasons we are, so that any improvements they made for gun owners would stick.

Over the past decade, specific firearms preemption laws have been passed in 43 states and in five states was already the law via judicial decisions that recognized that the individual civil right was a state issue. Forty eight (48) of the fifty (50) states have firearms preemption laws.

Guest gunlobbyist

BTW to get half of our agenda accomplished in the first year is a big deal. Kansas just got preemption, SWB reform and reform for dirks, daggers and stillettos. Getting this done and signed would be HUGE for a first year attempt. We will need ALL of you to keep calling and writing this year AND NEXT!

So bottom line... If this bill passes, what do we gain in knife rights?

They are glass half full kinda guys but in my opinion, the correct answer to your question is as follows. 

Depending on where you live, nothing.  Most of the state does not have any law on the books for knives.  Less than 5 local governments that I know of have something on the books.  So for the majority of this state, the answer is NOTHING.  

But don't let that detract from the overall progress that was made.  At the very least, we found out who the opposition is and will be better prepared next year.  

And by the way, saying "next year" hurts my soul a little.  

• Like 2

BTW to get half of our agenda accomplished in the first year is a big deal. Kansas just got preemption, SWB reform and reform for dirks, daggers and stillettos. Getting this done and signed would be HUGE for a first year attempt. We will need ALL of you to keep calling and writing this year AND NEXT!

I just received my e-mail on this from Knife Rights, and I agree...It is a Big Deal.

Chipping away, one bit at a time.

Thank you Sir. 

Guest gunlobbyist

Kansas took two years and we NOTHING the first year. This year we got everything and the guv signed it today. So hang in there. 

Another way to think of it. If we got swb ban repealed with no preemption then what do you think all the cities and towns would do? They would have passed bans instantly. Now when we do it they can't.

We did not lose our rights overnight and we must get them back incrementally. 

I would advise talking to your sheriff's between now and next January.

Guest KiloFive
I'm expecting better traction next round.

My question is this:
Next year will the sponsors be equipped with the info pointing out states like AZ who have implemented this with no negative results?

God & Tribe
Guest gunlobbyist

I'm expecting better traction next round.

My question is this:
Next year will the sponsors be equipped with the info pointing out states like AZ who have implemented this with no negative results?

God & Tribe

for sure