Recommendations for a Bolt Action .22 and Scope?

gjohnsoniv

I'm looking for a bolt action .22 now and scope, but would like some input. Open to any and all ideas with the only criteria being I don't really want to spend over 350-400 dollars on the rifle and over ~150 on the scope.  I'm not looking for a match rifle, only a general purpose plinking/squirrel hunting setup.

Let's hear them!

What did you pay for the CZ's if you don't mind me asking along with optics? 

I have paid from $250.00 to $500 for mine. That is both new and used.  You just have to look for the right deal.

My little Girl shoots a Savage and my Son a Marlin. The both make accurate rimfires. But my CZ's are the go to. I have bought CZ from both Whittaker's and Bud's online. I'm not sure in your area who is a stocking dealer. Over here by me it is the Reloaders Bench in Mount Juliet.. That was for used guns. new the best prices were online. 

+1 on the 452.  I have the Ultra Lux, but that long (28") barrel may not be a good woods gun.  I don't recall the exact price, but I bought it new in the Kingsport area well within your price range from a LGS.  The stock trigger is quite good, but don't hesitate to put a YoDave (or Brooks, if you can find it) trigger kit in it...at $18, its well worth it.

I have a CZ 455 and and a Savage Mark II FSVR.  Both are exceedingly accurate.  The fit and finish on the CZ reminds me of a Marlin or Winchester made in the 1950's.  The fit and finish of the Savage reminds me of a Chicom AK battlefield pickup.  I paid $360 for the CZ and $250 for the Savage (both NIB).

+1 on the 452.  I have the Ultra Lux, but that long (28") barrel may not be a good woods gun.  I don't recall the exact price, but I bought it new in the Kingsport area well within your price range from a LGS.  The stock trigger is quite good, but don't hesitate to put a YoDave (or Brooks, if you can find it) trigger kit in it...at $18, its well worth it.

The 452 Ultra lux is way too much fun. Looooong barrel. I have one also.

I was going to buy a Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV for my 22Hornet after reading about how good they are for the money but found a good deal on a Sightron Big Sky 12x42 Fixed AO that was too good to pass up, Reg $550, on closeout and with rebate $199 from SWFA. They still have some of the Sightron SI (cheaper model, but still get great reviews) on closeout for under $100 and a Big Sky 3x9x42 for $299. I also bought one of those for my ABolt 270 for $199 with rebate, unfortunatley rebate ended last month. After looking down the Sightrons I am gonna be hard pressed to buy anythng else.

What are you going to be using it for?

There are a number of great scopes for $150 or under. If you are not going to be hunting with it I would grab a scope with some magnification to it. I would say max magnification at least 12x or even higher. I really like a 25x Mueller I had on one of my guns. Hawke makes a pretty nice scope for the Hawke makes a pretty nice scope for the money as does Vortex.

It is a little high but a Mueller APT is a really nice scope as well. Mueller scopes are very clear. I would compare them to a Leupold VXII as far as clarity goes. Mueller has a great warranty as well. 

Dolomite

I'm wanting it for hunting and maybe slightly more accuracy over my 10/22 at the range. I was thinking about putting a rail on it and then putting a quick detach on a scope so that it can be taken off. Or swapped from a lower magnification for hunting over to a higher for the range. Maybe going with a lower end scope for hunting and a better for range.

I have a CZ-452 (the Lux with the beechwood stock) and love it.  Mine isn't scoped, but even with irons it's quite a little tack driver.

That said I've heard nothing but good things about the Savage, so you might want to try handling both of them.

If I had to keep what I traded for I would never trade my savage mark ii for any other .22. I've owned kimber, cz, Brno, Ruger 77/22, marlin, etc.... Never owned anything that shot like my mark ii, and no it's not a work of art but man it shoots good.