Kel-tec PF-9

Marswolf

I had a few minutes yesterday to drop into Guns-R-Us in Bristol. Hadn't been in for a while and had a nice talk with Mike, the owner.

He pushed a box across the counter to me and asked if I had seen "one of these."

Turned out to be a Kel-Tec PF-9

pf9_pic01.gif

The answer to the question was no, I hadn't played with one. First thing I noticed was that it is pretty thin. I liked that and commented that it would probably make a good concealed carry weapon because it is thin and flat. Flatness is something I find very important in IWB carry handguns.

Mike carries a Kel-Tec P-11 in the shop as his personal weapon. Basically the same gun as the PF-9 but with the old extractor, no accessory rail, but 3 more rounds in the magazine adding a bit of thickness to the handgun. He handed his gun to me, with a reminder that it was loaded, and I compared the two handguns.

p11_pic02.gif

0.12 inch of width doesn't sound like much (.88" vs. 1.0"), but I realized that it could be significant for IWB carry.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the gun. The one I looked at was sold and I talked to the guy who came in to pick it up. I suspect it has the normal Kel-Tec DAO trigger.

This will be a higher powered carry gun for the guy. He now uses a P3AT.

Mike says he thinks he will change to the PF-9 as his shop carry gun. If I didn't already have the P7M8, I'd have to consider this handgun for my IWB gun. And it costs about a thousand bucks less.

PF-9 clicky-clicky

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've handled a PF-9... it was indeed thin and light, but I dunno if I'd choose one over a P7M8!!!

The trigger is true to Kel-Tec form, heavy and long... and I wish that they didn't put the rail on there (the notch is just one more thing to snag). The fact that it is pocket-carriable is nice, and the full-power caliber is nice, but it just didn't feel quite right to me... I'd probably look at a Kahr, first. It's good to know that there are a few companies who bring products to market that their customers ask for. Kel-tec is one of them, for sure.

Triggers are funny things. We all get picky about how they feel and that's an important consideration for a paper killer.

But oddly enough, I think it's less important for a carry gun. If you need to use a handgun in a crisis situation, you normally over-pull the trigger. I've seen the figure of 50# trigger pull in several places. With the adrenalin flowing, you will probably make the gun go off.

But again, I haven't shot the PF-9 or even dry fired it. I am hoping for more input from those who have used the gun.

I don't mind a heavy trigger, as long as it's smooth... The trigger on my bed-side snubnose .38 isn't any work of art, for sure, and it's probably in the 12# range... but, it's consistent, and I have no trouble dropping multiple 6" plates at 25yd with it, rapid-fire.

My reasoning for preferring a higher-end pistol (as mentioned, Kahr or H&K) is more-so for the reliability aspect, as well as other qualities of their ergonomics.

What you say is true... And I have no doubt that Kel-Tec products are adequete for carry, likely moreso than some other types.

Mars, didn't you say you had good luck with the 3AT and many people I have talked to have them. This might replace the need for me to purchase a 3AT. I like the 9mm round and have many guns already chambered for that so it would make sense to keep any future guns in that caliber for SHTF scenarios or squirrely home defense situations. I might have to go to the local shop after tax time and look at this thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest looneeetunes

I HAVE A P40 I LOVE IT TO CARRY. I EITHER CARRY IT OR A TAURUS MILL. PRO 145. IT HAS NEVER JAMMED ON ME A FRIEND OF MINE SHOT 100 ROUNDS THRU IT NOT LONG AGO, DONE FINE BUT ONE OF THE SHELLS EJECTED AND POPPED HIM BETWEEN THE EYES. HE DIDNT CARE FOR THAT. BUT A GREAT GUN. THEY DONT MAKE P40 ANYMORE I THINK THE ONES WITH NUMBERS 6000 AND PREVIOUS HAD JAMMING PROBS. THEY FIXED THEM AND 7000 AND LATER WERE BETTER

The jamming was from limp wristing the lightweight hi power gun. According to Kel-Tec, thats why they quit making them. People were writing bad reviews due to their shooting habits and not the guns. They were getting perfectly fine guns in for repair that had nothing wrong with them.

By the way there is a way to adjust the trigger pull and it makes these little guns great deals. Just don't go too light or they will fire on their own!

Guest looneeetunes

yeah nsnate there is a keltec owners group. i think it is www.ktog.org they tell how to adjust the trigger i never have, thought i might like you say have a pistol with a mind of its own

• 8 months later...

Thanx for the link. It sounds like a KelTec sort of story -- first ones off the line needed attention. OTOH KelTec is really good about making things right if they arent. My P3AT had to go back for a bit of work initially. After that everything was good. Also noticed the author had a roughed up paw as a result of his range session. The AT will do the same thing if you dont get a real good grip on it.

However, it sounds very much like a good replacement for the AT if you want a weapon in a more common cartridge. Id rather not have two or more types of ammo for my common carry/home defense guns. Simple is best in that case.

I have had the NAA Guardian in .32, Keltec .32 and .380. I have a PF9. I like the PF9, as does the 3 bona fide pistoleros who have shot it. It is a lot bigger than a P3AT or P.32, but much smaller than a G26 in width. Oddly, I have had zero failures with a any of the Kel Tecs. I got rid of the the .32s and the .380. I Do your fluff and buff, break them in and then carry and clean them. I carry my PF9 in a Desantis pocket holster in the front pocket of my cargo pants. It also carries comfortably in my Comp Tac Minotaur IWB, which has a small frame Glock shell.

I have a PF9 and love it. I carry it more in the summer than the winter when I carry a larger gun. I have over 300 rounds through it without a hicup. The ejector roll pin is walking toward the hammer. This has been one of the problems some of them had. The newer ones have a new frame that blocks this. I will have to send it back someday for the frame up grade. Would I buy another one? I already have. I bought another one from someone that needed the money more than they needed the gun.

To compare the PF9 to the P3AT I think the recoil is less on the PF9. Some people feel different about that. I think the trigger is better on the PF9. I feel like the problems that they had when they come out have been taken care of and IMO they are a great little carry gun.

Guest canynracer

may want to search around the threads, there are several threads about the pf9...we all like it!!! :( and if I had the money...i would have a pf-9

• 5 months later...
Guest nj.piney

i had one for about six months, never carried it . i kept waiting for the plastic magazine release to fail and drop my mag. requires a tight two hand hold to prevent limpwristing . i was not sure that would be possible in a crisis . many people love them . check kel tec forum .after about 300 rounds i got it working , but then it developed a lot of loosness in the slide. traded in in on a colt defender.

That is a HUGE picture BTW. I had one and really liked it. The trigger was much improved over the P-11. for the price I would get it. as far as limp wristing I've heard of it, but never had any problems. i could shoot one handed as well as two handed and never had a malfunction of any kind.

I would also recommend sending it to Jack Fuselier and get it plated for $30. http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/slideoffer.html

Guest Grout

Is the mag release easy to depress or what?.It being plastic should be no cause for concern.The Glock mag release is plastic and I have never heard of a problem with it.

I had one of the first PT 11s and you had to hold it firm or it would malf on you and I have strong hands.

Are we saying that the 9mm round is a little much for this frame? After looking on the K/T forum it looks like the mechanical issues are resolved, but I guess that still does not make it reliable. Suppose that the reason the 380 is so much more popular?