HK's P7?

Guest NotDylan

Guest NotDylan

Currently, you can pick up one of the German police trade in models for a pretty good price and I would hate to miss the opportunity. Now, I've heard great things about them but I am a bit weary of buying one online because I have never handled one. What's your opinion on this gun? Where could I handle, or even better, shoot one?

Of course, if I didn't like it I could probably hold onto it for a year or so and sell it for a profit once the current inventory dries up :up:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The P7 M13 is an excellent gun, and is getting pretty pricey. We sold a chrome one that was threaded and had 6 mags for $2400 to a guy in FL not long ago.

The P7 M8's are the ones that are getting imported right now though, and while they do shoot well, the way the gun taps gas off into the grip heats it up considerably after about 30rds. If you buy one, wear a glove!

Guest Verbal Kint

Definitely find an individual or a shop where you can at least hold one or try it out. While that's a good practice to have with any potential gun purchase, it's really imperative with the HK P7 series handgun.

It truly is one of those "love it or hate it" weapons, with no middle ground. It's an amazing design and deadly accurate, but they definitely aren't for everyone.

Guest sling

Milsec pro is where i've found to be one of the best places to get one of these. I had one ordered and its a real piece of work. Most of their "grade B" P7's have hardly any wear at all. IMO, its the perfect 9mm handgun ever created. If you're at the next meet and shoot i always bring mine and you are welcome to try it. Try the P7 PSP (police trade ins). The gas system isnt as much of a PITA as people portray it to be. But it does get hot. More the reason for you to buy a backup. :D

I carry mine everyday.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73837

Great customer service from these guys and they have quite a few FFL's on file.

Note: Forgot to add that my P7 functions its best with 115 gr and absolutely hates 147gr...

Does not choke on HP either. I typically carry 124 gr Hornady XTP's in mine. Goes bang flawlessly everytime. :)

Edited by sling
Guest Todd@CIS

The H&K P7M8 feels great in the hand, super accurate, and very reliable.

MetalHead pointed out the only negative that I can think of...I don't know about 30 rounds, but if you do any high-volume shooting with it, they do heat up.

Due to it's design, typically the P7s do not like 147gr ammo.

The P7M8 is perhaps the best concealed carry handgun ever made.

Really, it's a gun you have to shoot to appreciate. I always have though they felt a little odd when dry-firing in a shop. But get one on a range and it all falls into place.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 5Legion

I have a "new" PSP as well. That trigger is sweet. I hear you on the love it or hate it. Also, just bought a spare mag to the tune of $50 + shipping. Still, it's a favorite.

Guest sling

The P7 IMO is the best compact 9mm gun one can carry. Period. Its "safe" if you worry about that kind of thing. It will not fire unless you squeeze that lever. Its reliable like no other and it will eat any and all ammo. Most of em hate the 147 grains...but i dont know anyone who carries that weight anyways. The squeeze cocker does take some getting used to... so if you carry it... its probably going to be the only thing your going to want to carry. Muscle memory is key in those kinds of situations. I always bring mine to the TGO meet and shoots so if your at the next one try mine. I always like spreading the kool-aid.

Plus their just sexy.

P7009.jpg

Edited by sling

Keep in mind that the P7 PSP and the P7M8 are not the same gun, almost but not. The PSP has the heel mag release and is what is currently being sold as police trade-ins. The M8 is a later version developed specifically for the American police market and has the ambidextrous thumb mag release at the back of the trigger guard.

As the previous owner of one of each, I agree with everyone else that they are fabulous carry guns. Other than the heat issue right over the trigger (don't shoot more than 30 to 40 rounds in a five minute period) the biggest issue for me was cleaning. Because of the fluted chamber so as to float the case out of the chamber the guns fill with soot relatively quickly. They get dirty everywhere, down in the frame, under the grips, everywhere. They never quite working but I hated cleaning it.

But they are fascinating, fast acting, sweet shooting firearms.

Guest 5Legion

I really don't mind the euro mag release on the PSP. It actually works pretty good with some practice - maybe even better than a "normal" mag release where we're all used to. The heat issue is not to big a deal either, not a factor in a 8-shot auto. It's not a hi-cap blaster service gun, it's a carry gun with 2 mags tops. I just picked up a really cool Don Hume (sp?) belt slide for it at Gun and Knife Country.

And if you run out of ammo with a PSP, you can use it as a club. Try that with a Kel Tec!

Edited by 5Legion

I let someone talk me out of my P7 and kicking myself ever since. It's a great weapon and you can't wrong. Keep in mind if you don't like it which I doubt, it's an HK so you could move it quick if it's not for you.

Guest 5Legion
I didn't have to get used to squeezing the grip. It was totally natural for me.

I agree 100%. I've done most of my handgun shooting with a 92FS, and this slim baby feels like a dream in my hand compared to that nutcracker, the PSP squeeze cocker is so smooth - it's a natural action.

Guest gcrookston

Let me start by saying I'm an HK guy. This is first and formost in my opinion on one of the greatest firearms firms out there.

But the P7 (and P13) are intended for a special breed of folk and I am not one of them. I tried and failed to like that gun. I could not get my brain around the squeeze cocker/uncocker. That is more practice than I was willing to commit. It is an accurate little bastidddd, though.

You are a better man than I, can you master it.