WTF moment: Kid disarms a gunman and gets suspended!

If I were the child's parent the first thing I would do, after telling him just how proud I was, would be to ask the principal if the suspension was just a show of power or if the attempted shooting did not go the way she wanted it to.  I would ask this in all seriousness and just as accusatory as I could. 

Yet another example of why we will begin home school at the end of this school year.

Edited by Will H
  • Like 1

The article said that three kids that jumped the kid with the gun and all three got suspended, not just one kid that keeps getting commented on.  

That’s when, the teen told the station, he and two others tackled the suspect and wrestled the gun away. The next day, all three were suspended.

• Moderators

I do not understand. A shooter was stopped and the people who stopped him get suspended? What?

Well your reading comprehension is better than you think! The level of stupidity/elitism that school systems perpetuate never seizes to amaze me.

• Moderators

These "Zero Tolerance" policies create poisonous environments such as this, or rather, "Zero Tolerance" policies are symptoms of poisonous environments such as this. Here you have a group of high school students that know they did the right thing, but are getting punished for it. So perhaps next time when a student points a gun at one of the administrators, perhaps what will happen is no student will want to confront the shooter because they may get suspended over it.

• Moderators

Has anyone else received any responses?

I am sorry that you feel this way about me/my leadership abilities, especially having never met me. You are absolutely correct that it would be absurd to punish a student for doing something heroic. It is unfortunate, to say the least, that the media has incorrectly reported the facts surrounding this situation, have taken students' information as fact, and have cast an unfair negative shadow on me (and my school.)

The miscommunication is further compounded since this situation deals with students' discipline and I am unable to set the record straight and clarify what actually happened. I can, however, emphatically tell you that there are other circumstances involved in this situation and that NO students were suspended/punished for helping disarm another student with a firearm. 

My life's work is revolved around being an advocate for student success and I am passionate about it. Hopefully, you can see/understand that when it comes to media stories, there is usually more than meets the eye. We are hopeful that the false information will be retracted and/or clarified, but unfortunately that does not always happen. We will see what transpires. 
Guest 556or762
Seems the NRA, SFA should offer legal assistance to the parents on behalf of their child and sue the school board to have the students records wiped clean of any supposed offense and allowed to return to school.
Guest 556or762
My mom is on the local school board I have included a link to this on her email. She agrees zero tolerance is a ridiculously wasteful practice that rarely punishes the right students involved in incidents.

Hmmmm... there must be more to it. According to the story on the abc-7.com website, it sounds like the kid who was arrested still had the gun in his possession when he was arrested - "According to the report, investigators found a loaded .22 caliber RG 14 revolver in Davis' dresser drawer." Did they wrestle it away and then give it back?