Can-compatible muzzle brake

I need a brake for my 20" .308 bolt gun. I don't plan on putting a can on it right now. Maybe never. But I do want to have that option should I decide to down the road. What I need right now is a brake to reduce recoil a little bit. Any specific models that any of you guys want to recommend? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Another detail I should add is that it has M18x1.5 threads ;)

Edited by GoneBallistic
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no brakes, that I am aware of, that work with different brands of cans. All makers patent their individual brakes to work with their cans so finding a muzzle brake that will work with different brands is going to be next to impossible.

Brakes are cheap so buy whatever you need then when you do get a can buy the muzzle brake for that can. Or buy a metric brake and when you get you can go ahead and rethread the barrel.

Also, what kind of gun is this? If you plan on getting a can you probably need to have the barrel threaded again concentric to the bore. And when you do it have it threaded 5/8-24 which is the standard for 308.

Dolomite

There are no brakes, that I am aware of, that work with different brands of cans. All makers patent their individual brakes to work with their cans so finding a muzzle brake that will work with different brands is going to be next to impossible.

Brakes are cheap so buy whatever you need then when you do get a can buy the muzzle brake for that can. Or buy a metric brake and when you get you can go ahead and rethread the barrel.

Dolomite

Good info! I didn't know that M18x1.5 could be rethreaded to 5/8-24. The guy that had the rifle before me was an AI fan so he had it rethreaded to M18x1.5

I've heard a lot of good about Predator Customs. I think I might give them a call. Thanks

I called today about having my Ruger 5.56 threaded. He said about $85 but would be 4-5 weeks to get it done due to volume of work. Might cost a little extra for you if they have to cut the barrel and then thread. They are about the only place in town I would consider letting do this

I called today about having my Ruger 5.56 threaded. He said about $85 but would be 4-5 weeks to get it done due to volume of work. Might cost a little extra for you if they have to cut the barrel and then thread. They are about the only place in town I would consider letting do this

Can't beat that price either.

Dolomite

• 2 months later...

Why dont you just do some research and find the can you want to buy. Then get the adapter/ muzzle brake it uses?

Sure Fire has a good brake and so does Yankee Hill. I have their Phantom .30 Cal Can and it is rated from 308 to 300 win mag

• 2 weeks later...

I run AAC 51T's on all my AR's and about to start putting them on my bolt guns as well for the fact that their SDN6 can be run on all my calibers. easy to just ratchet one can on to a bunch of guns over buying a bunch of cans.

Yeah I have an AAC Brakeout that I bought purely for it's recoil reduction but I may end up getting an AAC can when I get the money. I was just trying to plan ahead for when I have the money. AAC will probably have changed their design by the time I get the money :shake: