New here with Garand shooting questions.

So I'm new here but have been around guns for a long time. I'm 28 now and have been int he military for 9 years. I bought my first gun at 16, M1 Garand. I still have it. Thing is, I never got any good at shooting it, mostly because I never really shot it much beyond 25-50 meters. Sacrilege  I know.

I'm trying to find a write up, or a book that details the zeroing method much in the way the Army teaches you to zero the M4/M16 platform. Also wondering if there is a place besides the CMP to get affordable 150gr 30-06 ammunition.

As far as the ammo goes you can either buy M1 ammo from CMP or a small handful of companies who make M1 specific ammo, the other option is to load your own. There are some adjustable gas plugs out there I think that let you should other 30.06 ammo though. I don't know anything about them other than that in terms of how well they work and safety, etc.

Generally, right on at 25 will give you about 2" high at 100 and about right on at 200. So, just that will provide an approximate Battle Sight Zero. Best to record you number of clicks for reference.

To calibrate the rear sight to the battle sight setting you:

Run the aperture all the way down and loosen the screw in the center of the elevating knob until you can turn the knob forward.
Turn the elevating knob forward until the 300-yard index line is opposite the index line on the receiver.
Turn the elevating knob forward from this point to the number of click equal to the 300-yard zero in elevation, less two clicks.
Hold the elevating knob in position with your left hand and tighten the center screw, then run the aperture all the way up and tighten the screw.
Check your setting by turning the elevating knob back until the 300-yard index line is opposite the index line on the receiver, then turn it as far forward as you can, counting the clicks. The number of clicks you can turn the elevating knob forward should be equal to your battle sight setting.
  • Like 1

nothing special just send them a picture of your DL showing your age and you are good to go.  I buy a bunch online

I've never ordered ammo online before. I live in TN. Is there any special requirements other than a photo ID and being old enough  that you must meet to be able to order ammo online?

Have a look at these...

http://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle

I spent a day watching those, and I don't even have a Garand!  The chapter on trigger pull has some of the best info I have ever seen on the subject.  You can use the increasing force trigger technique on any trigger, whether it be 2 stage, 1 stage, match, whatever. 

I wonder if they still teach that in the military now?

Edited by atlas3025

Garands are just about the easiest rifles to shoot and sight in.  Run that rear sight all the way down until it bottoms out, bring it back up about 8 or so clicks and you should be fairly close at 100 yards using the "pumpkin on a post" sight picture.  Tweak it from there.

Use only M2 ball or it's equivalent or get an adjustable gas plug.

Edited by Garufa

My father in law recieved a M1 Garand this past Christmas.  He has tried to zero at 25 yards, but it consistently misses about 5 inches low and about 6 inches right.  He has adjusted the front and rear sights to the extreme and it still doesn't help.  Any one have any suggestions?

My father in law recieved a M1 Garand this past Christmas.  He has tried to zero at 25 yards, but it consistently misses about 5 inches low and about 6 inches right.  He has adjusted the front and rear sights to the extreme and it still doesn't help.  Any one have any suggestions?

Missing by that much at 25 yds means something is really wrong.  What ammo is he using?  Is the crown buggered?  Barrel bent?

Missing by that much at 25 yds means something is really wrong.  What ammo is he using?  Is the crown buggered?  Barrel bent?

IHe is using Greek ammo (i believe) that was purchased through CMP.  I am not sure about the crown or the barrel.  I will ask him and have him check that out.  Thanks for the info.

Brad,

Trying to figure out extreme zeroing issues over the internet is an exercise in futility - - - just too many factors.

First thing we need to do is to inspect the rifle.

I will PM you my contact info to discuss.

Mark  

If your Garand has been rebarreled, sometimes the barrel has not been indexed such that the front sight is at 90 degrees from receiver. Check the date on your barrel on right side under rear handgard and compare to date of serial number on receiver. You will have to lookup receiver serial no. for date of manufacture, try internet.

If you have 2 pieces of flat bar stock about 12" long, clamp receiver in a vise with barrel up. Lay/balance bar stock on receiver behind rear sight and the other barstock behind front sight on flat surface. Eye down from the rear of receiver and see if these two flat barstock top sides are parallel. If not, barrel has not been tighten correctly. This will take an armorer or gunsmith to correct if barrel has been turned too far, if not turned far enough you may be able to tighten slightly and recheck to see if bar stock is parallel. It make take several tries. If not this then barrel may be bent or barrel crown messed-up.

Edited by lshel

Maybe the stock is impinging on the barrel or op rod? Google the item "Garand tilt test" as one way to check for op rod and wood fit.

(again, be advised I'm no Garand expert)

espacef1fan,

I'm a CMP Master Instructor for the M1 Garand.  The ammo that you want is at this link listed as item # 4C3006X000-200P.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

Let me know if you need anything else.  I'm in the Ft. Campbell area often and would be happy to help.

BTW - - - All of my instruction is Free of Charge.

Air Assault!

Mark

Mark that would awesome. I get home in May so I would guess June or early July sometime would be the start of some free time for me. It would be great to learn some stuff from someone "in the know" ! Ill be in touch for sure!

Mark that would awesome. I get home in May so I would guess June or early July sometime would be the start of some free time for me. It would be great to learn some stuff from someone "in the know" ! Ill be in touch for sure!

Outstanding!

Looking forward to getting you up to speed with "the greatest battle implement ever devised" - Patton.  :usa:

I'll PM you my direct email address.

Mark

Outstanding!

Looking forward to getting you up to speed with "the greatest battle implement ever devised" - Patton.  :usa:

I'll PM you my direct email address.

Mark

Colonel,

Might need to set up a meet/time at the Gun Club and have a clinic. I have a couple of Garand's and would love to

learn more about mine.

• Like 1