Has Zimmerman Waived His Right to a Pre-Trial "Stand-Your-Ground" Hearing?

Guest Law of Self Defense

FDLE Forensic Lab Report on Zimmerman's Gun & Fatal Bullet

Hey folks,

Many of you may have heard bits and pieces about the gun and ammo that George Zimmerman used to save his life from Trayvon Martin's deadly force attack, but we all know that facts and details can become blurry in the re-posting on the internet.

To set the record straight, I've acquired a copy of the official Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Forensic Laboratory Report on Zimmerman's gun and ammo, and I thought I'd share the details of that with you, as well as provide a PDF of the official report itself (available at the bottom of this post).

If you're interested in seeing my blog post on this, and a copy of the original FDLE Forensic Laboratory Report, click here:

[URL=http://lawofselfdefense.com/flde-forensic-report-zimmermans-gun-fatal-bullet/]FDLE Forensic Report: Zimmerman's Gun & Fatal Bullet[/URL]

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-of-Self-Defense/176397865719110]Facebook:  Law of Self Defense[/URL]

Day 8 Wrap-Up: State Hints at Theory of the Case

Hey folks,

I just posted up the end-of-day wrap-up for day 7 of jury selection in the Zimmerman case, available at Legal Insurrection here:  [URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-eight-wrap-up/]Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Eight Wrap-Up.[/URL]

Today the State conducted voir dire of the pool of 40 prospective jurors.  (The defense has it's turn tomorrow.  Also tomorrow marks the return of State expert witness Tom Owens, at 2PM.)

Most striking about today's voir dire is how large a proportion of the day involve de la Rionda speaking, rather than any of the prospective jurors.  His speech was often long, somewhat rambling, and ultimately appeared to be an effort at conditioning the prospective jurors to a particular judgmental and emotional position–for example, participating in Neighborhood Watch is somehow similar to taking the law into your own hands.

Given the (to this New Englander’s eyes) somewhat astonishing responses–35% having been victims of crime, 10% having been victims of violent crime, 25% having Neighborhood Watch programs in their community, 30% owning or having owned personal firearms (the one having owned also having possessed a CCW), and another 30% having family or close friends who own guns–I’m not sure whether de la Rionda’s apparent selling proposition–which seems to be that Zimmerman took the law into his own hands–is being targeted at an amenable market.

The survivability of such a theory of the case seems particularly uncertain given the actual facts in evidence, which overwhelmingly favor the defense.  For example, will it really be a credible argument that Zimmerman was seeking to “take the law into his own hands” when it was he who phoned the police, in his role as leader of his Neighborhood Watch Program to report a suspicious person in his neighborhood plagued with robberies?

For all the juicy details, click here:  [URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-eight-wrap-up/]Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Eight Wrap-Up.[/URL]

Tomorrow we'll do another full day of live stream, all-day coverage of day nin of jury selection, the "Full Voir Dire Edition".  The defense will have it's chance for voir dire of the 40 prospective jury candidates, and at 2PM we'll welcome Mr. Tom Owens back to the court (probably virtually).  

Be sure to join us.

Best,

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-of-Self-Defense/176397865719110]Facebook:  Law of Self Defense[/URL]

For those who may have missed the Tracy Martin interview last night on HLN, it was pretty good. Part two is tonight. In Tracy's mind, Zman profiled Trayvon from the get go. We'll see what happens in court today and part two of the interview tonight.

DS

In Tracy's mind, Zman profiled Trayvon from the get go.

DS

LOL but of course that's his opinion. Big bad "white guy" profiled the poor black "child". Did you really just post that crap in a thread filled with actual facts of the case? Can you not tell the difference between the two Dave? It's become painfully obvious you don't care anything about any facts presented in this thread, yet you'll take time out to post something like this.

Guys, next week I'm gonna be on YouTube offering my expert opinions on how I believe Zimmerman is actually an alien. Be sure to tune in for my opinion, void of all facts. Then buy my "Zman is an alien" t-shirts I had made up. Financial gain aside, it has to be true if I believe it strong enough Edited by KKing
Guest nra37922

LOL but of course that's his opinion. Big bad "white guy" profiled the poor black "child". Did you really just post that crap in a thread filled with actual facts of the case? Can you not tell the difference between the two Dave? It's become painfully obvious you don't care anything about any facts presented in this thread, yet you'll take time out to post something like this.

Guys, next week I'm gonna be on YouTube offering my expert opinions on how I believe Zimmerman is actually an alien. Be sure to tune in for my opinion, void of all facts. Then buy my "Zman is an alien" t-shirts I had made up. Financial gain aside, it has to be true if I believe it strong enough

He could be as Obama is from URANUS.

But in all seriousness there are so many agendas with this case that the facts are going to be blurred, twisted and altered to suit one particular media driven conclusion.  Truth be damned...

Edited by nra37922

Actually, that's fact. It's been presented before. Even potential jurors feel the same way when questioned. I didn't make it up....

DS

Actually, that's fact. It's been presented before. Even potential jurors feel the same way when questioned.
DS

It's a fact he was profiled? Proof Dave, where is it? Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Actually, that's fact. It's been presented before. Even potential jurors feel the same way when questioned. I didn't make it up....

DS

fact
/fakt/
Noun
A thing that is indisputably the case.
Information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
Synonyms
reality - deed - actuality - truth - case - circumstance

I thought this might be helpful to you since it appears that you don't have the firmest grasp of the definition of the word "fact". ;)

It's a fact he was profiled? Proof Dave, where is it?

Zimmerman Trial: Myth Busters: Did Zimmerman really “racially profile” Martin?

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook: Law of Self Defense

You get outta here with your facts and your logic Andrew, there's no room for that nonsense when people have feelings and opinions! Lol

But seriously, Dave, read...and learn. Edited by KKing

Zimmerman Jury Selection:  Day 9--Live streaming, all-day coverage

Hey folks,

Just FYI, Day 9 of jury selection has just kicked into gear.  [URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-trial-live-jury-selection-day-7-all-day-coverage/]Our live, all-day coverage can be found at Legal Insurrection here[/URL], if you're interested in following along.

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-eight-wrap-up/]Click here for our re-cap of yesterday's State-led voir dire[/URL].

Today the defense has it's chance to voir dire the remaining pool of 40 prospective jurors.

Also, at 2PM the State's expert witness Tom Owens is scheduled to re-testify in the still incomplete Frye hearing being held to determine if the Statet's experts will be permitted to testify at trial.  Mr. Owens, you will recall, was the State's expert witness who said of the Witness #11 911 audio tape, "this is not really good evidence." 

[url=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-prosecutions-voice-expert-admits-this-is-not-really-good-evidence/]Zimmerman Prosecution's Voice Expert admits: ?This is not really good evidence?[/url]

We'll also be doing our usual end-of-day summary of events.  I'll drop a brief note when that's up, for folks who are interested.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

DS

Are we supposed to convict a man based on "feelings"? Why should we even care what someone "feels" about this issue?

I also, seriously, suggest you take a look at the difference between "fact" and "feelings" because you seem to use them interchangeably and they simply aren't the same.

Edited by RobertNashville

For those who may have missed the Tracy Martin interview last night on HLN, it was pretty good. Part two is tonight. In Tracy's mind, Zman profiled Trayvon from the get go. We'll see what happens in court today and part two of the interview tonight.

DS

I ask again DAVES (since you ignored it the first time); why should anyone care what Trayvon's father thinks about anything and more importantly, what possible relevance could it have on the crime Zimmerman is accused of?

Might I suggest you stop worrying about what people "think" happened (especially those with an obvious ax to grind) and stick to the facts that are known.

Robert and KKing.  Come on guys.  Dave is just trolling you and you keep falling for it.  

Dave does not care about the facts.  He is just laughing his ass off about how you guys get riled up and respond to him.  

It is actually kinda fun to watch.

O'Mara Delivers Devastating Voir Dire

Hey Folks,

If you're not watching this live, you're missing a tremendous voir dire by O'Mara.  Just absolutely devastating to the State's ability to advance their theory of the case given the facts in evidence. 

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-trial-live-jury-selection-day-7-all-day-coverage/]Our live, all-day coverage can be found at Legal Insurrection here[/URL], if you're interested in following along.

I'll cover it all in my end-of-day wrap-up, but it's a beauty to behold.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

Robert and KKing.  Come on guys.  Dave is just trolling you and you keep falling for it.  

Dave does not care about the facts.  He is just laughing his ass off about how you guys get riled up and respond to him.  

Actually I'm not. I'm really trying to have a decent disccusion here... 

Dave S

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not???  :)  Anyway, I don't believe Dave is troll at all; I suspect that he really believes what he says he believes and really holds the opinions he holds.

I don't understand the basis for many of his opinions/beliefs (and I don't mean just on the Zimemrman/Martin case) but that's a different issue than someone being a troll.

O'Mara Delivers Devastating Voir Dire

Hey Folks,

If you're not watching this live, you're missing a tremendous voir dire by O'Mara.  Just absolutely devastating to the State's ability to advance their theory of the case given the facts in evidence. 

Our live, all-day coverage can be found at Legal Insurrection here, if you're interested in following along.

I'll cover it all in my end-of-day wrap-up, but it's a beauty to behold.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

Facebook:  Law of Self Defense

O'Mara is great. 

Dave S

How is caring what the dead man's father thinks about this part of a serious conversation?

I'm sure Martin's father believes his son is a perfect, little, innocent, sweet black boy who was profiled and than tracked down and killed by a "white-Hispanic" vigilante; frankly I wouldn't really expect any father to think anything else.

But so what?

What does Martin's father's beliefs or feelings matter to Zimmerman's guild or innocence?  I submit it makes ZERO difference and should make ZERO difference.

Moreover, you've seem to make a habit of ignoring information that doesn't support your biased opinion (nothing wrong with bias as we all suffer from it but I think it's important it be recognized for what it is) so when you ignore known facts how can people have a decent discussion?

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Robert and KKing. Come on guys. Dave is just trolling you and you keep falling for it.
Dave does not care about the facts. He is just laughing his ass off about how you guys get riled up and respond to him.

Dave S

Then where's your proof Dave? This is why no one takes you seriously. You make a statement, people ask you to back it up, and you never do. You either ignore the question or you ramble about how it's your opinion. You're welcome to your opinion, but when you present something as fact you ought to at least provide proof to back it. Facts, please.

FWIW, I believe O'Mara is by far the more competent legal mind in this case, no contest. I had to stop streaming because I was using my wireless data, but just from what I've seen he seems to actually engage in conversation with the potential jurors and get them to open up and volunteer information, where De La Rionda asks blanket statements and doesn't get anyone to talk Edited by KKing