Cut Birdshot shells = Slug?

O.K. I was confused I thought Dolomite said he was melting down the lead and making a slug.

I have often wondered if you could load buckshot into low brass for a low recoil HD type round.

I do melt the lead down and make a lead slug. I also make wax/shot slugs as well as pure wax slugs.

Dolomite

O.K. so I did read that right lol. Do you use a mold or just our the lead back in the shell? Can you cycle them in a pump?

No I do not pour it back in the shell. It would melt the cup and likely ignite the powder. I cast bullets and have a few 12 gauge molds I use to make lead slugs.

Federal uses straight cups so it is a drop in affair but Winchester requires different cups. That is the biggest reason I try to buy Federal 12 gauge.

Dolomite

O.K. I was confused I thought Dolomite said he was melting down the lead and making a slug.

I have often wondered if you could load buckshot into low brass for a low recoil HD type round.

I have melted the bird shot and made "00" buck(I have a mold), loaded back into the same hull, ya know what was the cheap stuff

you get(if you can) at wally world.

Low recoil, good pattern at 25 yrds.

I picked up a few thousand artillery round "flechettes" from the local surplus store about 25 years ago & loaded those up in shotshells, wicked cool stuff for short range work but the realitively light steel darts ran out of energy about 50 yards or so, but they literally shredded the @#$% out of anything & everything within 25 yds.

I had to load half of them point forward & half of them fins forward to get them all to fit neatly into the shotcup, the point forward darts would fly & penetrate fairly well, but the fins forward darts would tumble through the air & spread fairly wide.

Devestating little buggers, but I had no practical purpose for them besides just good wholesome range fun, in fact I think that I still have a bunch of them somewhere, might load up a tube or two just for shits & giggles again.

Let's see, oh after watching "Young Guns 2" I loaded up some dimes, wasn't really impressed, & the results definately wasn't worth the expense IMHO.

I also have made rocksalt shells, this was also about 25 years ago for pest control purposes, I was told that salt + garden was not a good idea though since it'll make the soil sterile or something like that, so I discontinued those & switched to using a pellet rifle instead.

I've also loaded "airsoft" training shotshells, using only the primer & shotcup + airsoft BB's, those work really well actually, just make absolutely sure that you don't mix them up w/live ammunition & that the other folks are wearing safety gear, full-face masks recommended!

I have loaded paintballs in hulls. I did this a long time ago when less lethal was becoming popular. Problem was about 1/2 the time the balls would bust before leaving the barrel. I might have to revisit it just for giggles. I have also done the coin loads and like you I wasn't very impressed. At 15 yards they had about as much penetration as #8 birdshot in plastic barrels.

I have painted slugs in hopes of making them more visible at distance but it was a failure.

I know people who load shotshells with old spent primers. They said they do not work well for anything.

I have never loaded airsoft bullets in a shot gun but I have shot them out of a primer only 223. They fly about as far as any airsoft gun I have shot and are about as inaccurate. I have used the same primer only loads to shoot lead pellets and they work well.

I have also tried using blanks to shoot lead 22 caliber pellets and the blank disentigrates the pellet. I have had the head come off and leave the skirt in the bore. If I had fired a regular round afterwards it could have been very dangerous. I have even tried to use a blank to fire a jacketed bullet in a 22lr, I have scars to prove that one didn't go so well. That one really scared me because I felt the pain and by the time I made it in front of a mirror I had a pretty substantial amount of blood all over my face. Luckily it wasn't as bad as it looked but it was still extremely dangerous and I was an idiot for trying it. As I think about it I may have had a problem from trying to shoot a bullet that was too heavy but I am not going to risk it again, ever.

When I get around to it my next project will be to cast some plastic bullets, again for giggles. I have seen people use a glue gun but I am not so sure I want to send that stuff down the bore of a gun. A shotgun slug of glue from a glue gun and shot would hold together much better though.

I have been trying to find data, and asking people who are familiar with it, for loading two one ounce slugs in a single hull. I know there have been factory loads and I know people who have done it but no one will divulge their load data for liability reason.

Whatever you use to make slugs you need to make sure either it can give or the bore is not choked. Lead slugs give and will squeeze down some in a constricted bore. If what you are using will not give it can bulge or split the barrel if it encounters a restriction. Needless to say this can cause damage to the gun, shooter or bystanders. And just because something fits in a cup doesn't mean it is safe to shoot.

Dolomite