Anyone here done any bead blasting?

Try any local automotive shop. They could do it but you can;t leave it with them unless they happen to have an FFL. If you plan on spray coating it I would recommend medium aluminum oxide media. If you are just wanting to remove paint then you need glass media or baking soda.

Aluminum oxide is what I always use because it leaves the perfect surface for paint to adhere to.

Also, if you plan on coating or painting prep is the most important aspect of it. I have posted my routine a few times. If you can;t find it let me know and I will repost it.

Dolomite

I’ve done thousands of parts and a few guns. Do you know any Toolmakers or Mold Makers? Most of those shops will be able to do it. I could give you a name of someone to call, but it’s in the MidState; pretty far from you.

My gun is all stainless. What I am wanting to do is remove the Ruger and Phoenix from the slide, the stupid lawyer speak on the dust cover, and have the hammer, mag release, slide stop, grip safety, pins, and thumb safety blasted so they match the gun.

On mine, the serial number is also laser etched. If you blast the slide it won’t match the rest of the gun unless you blast it also. It appears that would mess up the serial number.

Fine glass bead won’t remove etching because it’s into the metal. You would need to polish that out. Your MIM parts won’t match the gun if you blast them.

This brings up a question for me, I ran into a cat that had a sr1911 for sale with ammo. Basically i got 2 holsters 200 rounds of 45 and the gun for 600 bucks, he needed money to replace a camera lens or something.  Anyway, i was going to resell the gun but i liked it so much i decided to keep it.  I would like to remove these two etchings as well.  Where would i start to find someone to do this?  will polishing it out weaken the slide? im an idiot when it comes to stuff like this.

Edited by Krull

My gun is all stainless. What I am wanting to do is remove the Ruger and Phoenix from the slide, the stupid lawyer speak on the dust cover, and have the hammer, mag release, slide stop, grip safety, pins, and thumb safety blasted so they match the gun.

the one thing i noticed about my sr1911 is the hammer has rusted a bit... I have seen others new in the store that appear to be rusted as well.  Did you have this problem?  If i get mine polished i am going to drop a wilson combat stainless hammer in mine i think.

No rust on mine but I run a oil cloth over mine once a week. Come to find out all the black parts have to be replaced. So I'm going to order more Ed Brown parts I guess. I still need the etchings removed.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You can do that much easier IMHO.   Assumption: after blasting the snot out of the metal, you were going to refinish it, right?  Well you can take the finish off, fill in the offending text, and refinish it.  I am not 100% sure what the best product to use as filler is, but I have seen it done and it looks GOOD without having to thin down the metal to remove the stamps.  I think whoever does the refinish will know how do to this?

Is it etched or stamped? You may have to do a little sanding first. Stainless is so tough, it resists blasting pretty well. I've don a ton (or two) of bike parts over the years and it's one of the more stubborn ones. But, it's also gorgeous when sanded to a fine level and then polished on the wheel. 

Sorry that no was for Jonnin. They are laser etched. From some reading I have heard that the grey scotch brite will remove them with a swiftness and then just use the green one to blend everything.

yea if it isnt deep that works too, sounded like deep stamps originally