Why am I drawn to a 1911?

espacef1fan

I'll tell you what my wife says
Big toys for big boys. I have a sig 1911 and will have a Taurus Monday. Then in the fall a ruger, Springfield, etc
I carry a sig pro 2022 in 9mm and a sig p226 mk25. The 1911 is my range guns
When I shoot a 100 or so rounds with the 1911 the 9mm's are like shooting 22's.

Just my 2 cents
Guest copperhead_1911

I became a 1911 convert about 1 year after starting to shoot with a Glock 17.

The Glock 21 (45cap) is a great gun that is pretty much idiot proof. Many people say you are more apt to be struck by lightning than have a Glock jam on you. The only jam I ever had in mine was from a reload and was ammo related. The mag capacity was a main reason that I was reluctent to go 1911 at first as I am a 1911 purist where I believe a 1911 is single stack.

That said I decided to shoot one and loved it. The first one I shot was one of the new Remington models. The trigger on it was SWEET. After shooting it for about three weeks I figured I would buy one. I found an American tactical imports 1911 commander style in 2011 for like $375 and bought it. The trigger on it is great. My only dislike is that 1911 ( and many others) have issue with some hollow point ammo. It will feed hornady crit defense though.

After having that for a year I figured I wanted something a bit nicer and was figuring on getting a used Para or Springfield or maybe a Rock Island. Well we had some extra money from a decent bonus and the wife decided to get me a Colt 1911 commander. I told her that for what she paid for it should could have bought me two Rock Islands.

So far I have only had one jam when I was first breaking it in and other than that it has functioned perfectly. The tigger is very light and crisp, although I hate to admit it but the ATI trigger is just a tad nicer. It has become my carry gun. I also carry one in the chamber though so I have 8 ready plus two spare mags. One in each front pocket and I carry an S&W bodguard .380 as a back up.

Some friends at the range joke if you need more than 8 rounds you should spend more time at the range, but I tell them the way things are you should be ready for shtf. IN that case my Stag model 2 is my main weapon and Taurus 92 is the sideaarm just in case.

I think the main thing that draws many of us to the 1911 is history. Gun owners tend to be patritos. The 1911 has been protecting our troops since WWI and I figure if its good enough for them its good enough for me. The trigger on them is also nice. I have never felt a 1911 trigger that was not better than a Glock even the cheap copies.

If you are concerned about price ( are'nt we all as the hope and change has not came) I would say check out a used Kimber as you can still find them for a good price, springfield and Rock Island. You also can use a 10 round mag. ANother thing many forget comparing the 1911 to the glock 21 is that the Glock is polymer so you will have more felt recoil and the like.

If you were going to go polymer on a 1911 I would advise the springfield xd as that seems to have a closer trigger to the 1911. Trust me once you get one you will love it.

Guest Joshua__423

I own 2 1911s and 3 glocks and I shoot better with the 1911 any day of the week but they are a little more fragile I feel like and refuse to carry them daily. It is a great design and you cant argue their functionality. Id never tell anyone not to get 1. If its a EDC id say go with a Glock. If you are wanting a pretty, sharp shooting, fun to hold firearm Id go the 1911. If you want to carry it like second nature id go the Glock

I've fired many pistols, but never owned one. Yet here I am on the cusp of buying a 1911. I have the option to get a Glock in 45ACP at almost half the price with more magazine capacity(among many other options that are "better") , but yet I am still drawn toward a 1911. I'll admit alot of it is aesthetics. But there is still that "something" it has that draws me to it.

Anyone else feel this way about 1911s?

Others here have already said what I would tell you but I can't help myself because I love 1911s. There simply is not better firearm in the world in my humble opinion.

I depended on a 1911 while seving and never feld underprotected.

I occasionaly carry one today although with things the way they are, I don't do so often because the ones I own today are too expensive/mant to much to me personally and I don't want to risk losing one. So...I carry an ugly, functional, and relatively inexpensive Glock about 98% of the time. Owning a 1911 is owning a bit our heritage and more important to me, a bit of MY heritage.

If they ever confiscate my Glocks I'll be mad as hell but if they ever take any of my 1911s I'll be as mad as hell and will cry like a baby. ;) Edited by RobertNashville

Yes

Do you mean because of the classic looks of the 1911?

Do you mean because of the 101 year old design from JMB (genuflect here)?

Do you mean because the 1911 has been used (and still in use) by both the military and law enforcement?  

Do you mean because the 1911 has been proven a reliable platform from which to throw a .45ACP bullet down range?  In other words, because the 1911 is a proven combat pistol?

Do you mean because excellent smiths (Wilson, Brown, etc.) are now producing 1911s that fire other calibers (9mm, 10mm, .38 Super)?

Do you mean because NO ONE will ever describe a 1911 as "tupperware?"

Well, the reasons above are good enough for me...

Do you mean because of the classic looks of the 1911?

Do you mean because of the 101 year old design from JMB (genuflect here)?

Do you mean because the 1911 has been used (and still in use) by both the military and law enforcement?  

Do you mean because the 1911 has been proven a reliable platform from which to throw a .45ACP bullet down range?  In other words, because the 1911 is a proven combat pistol?

Do you mean because excellent smiths (Wilson, Brown, etc.) are now producing 1911s that fire other calibers (9mm, 10mm, .38 Super)?

Do you mean because NO ONE will ever describe a 1911 as "tupperware?"

Well, the reasons above are good enough for me...

A trip to the range and a loaded 1911, will answer the question, why we are drawn to the 1911.

• Like 2

A trip to the range and a loaded 1911, will answer the question, why we are drawn to the 1911.

After shooting a G26, a Baretta Nano, SW99 .40, XD9, and XDS, a friend shot my 1911. When he was finished, he said, "I wish I hadn't shot that thing. Now everything else feels like crap." LOL

The single action is a big part of the firing pleasure. Prior to getting my 1911, the best gun I fired was another friend's DA/SA SIG 226(?) 9mm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I own a Springfield "Loaded" and it's my favorite pistol. I will never be without a 1911!!! I also owned a Glock 17 and gave it to my wife, so I wouldn't trade it away. It's a fantastic pistol! The pistol I own with the best trigger is a Colt Agent .38 spl.  It doesn't look like much, but it's a great shooter. The one I carry the most is the little Agent. because it's comfortable, it shoots well and it's very concealable.  That being said, I would not be uncomfortable carrying any one of the three and defending myself and my loved ones with it.

Edited by Moped
Guest The Highlander
I like all guns. But my true loves are myN-frame Smith, my Glock 19, an old Kimber Custom Target and its little brother in .22, my ancient Ruger Mk II, ....SIG's, oh Hell, buy one of each and be done with it!
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest mechanically

So, I've always thought 1911's were great looking guns, and figured I'd pick one up eventually...

Well, today a parkerized Springfield A1 Standard literally fell into my lap, and there was zero chance of me saying no at this price, so it came home with me. 

Everyone on this thread has great things to say, but the thing that shocked me the most was the absolutely 100% natural, no english needed, line-it-up-blind sight alignment!

I have never had a firearm behave like this in my hand the first time I pick it up! I am considering it a testimony to Mr. Browning's brilliance!

I am so in love that I'm gonna run it at IDPA in Cleveland this weekend. Here's hopin it plays nice with all mags/ammo, etc!!! 

Guest copperhead_1911

So, I've always thought 1911's were great looking guns, and figured I'd pick one up eventually...

Well, today a parkerized Springfield A1 Standard literally fell into my lap, and there was zero chance of me saying no at this price, so it came home with me. 

Everyone on this thread has great things to say, but the thing that shocked me the most was the absolutely 100% natural, no english needed, line-it-up-blind sight alignment!

I have never had a firearm behave like this in my hand the first time I pick it up! I am considering it a testimony to Mr. Browning's brilliance!

I am so in love that I'm gonna run it at IDPA in Cleveland this weekend. Here's hopin it plays nice with all mags/ammo, etc!!! 

Welcome to the "Dark side"

It can get expensive. You get one you will want more 1911 pistols

I love my 1911- Kimber Eclipse Pro II. Its the build quality of the 1911, the smooth action, and for me, the best groupings I get out of any pistol I own. I carry mine on a regular basis. With the 4" barrel, it can be tucked away. Granted the load count is only 8, I know that those 8 shots will go where I want them to. The 1911 feels perfect in my hand.