Any advice on choosing a toolbox for my truck?

BigK

I'm shopping around for a toolbox for my truck. I've never bought a toolbox before, so I could use some input. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Type - I think I'd like a crossover better than a chest, so it's up off the bedliner. Plus, I don't like the way the chest types look.

Lid - A single lid seems like the way to go, since you have less wasted storage space. Plus, I can't reach inside a gullwing box from the ground anyway. I assume they all have locking lids, but that's a must. I understand that some have sealed lids and others don't. Is this a big deal? I'm thinking of stashing a cheap pistol and a Mosin in there.

Material - Aluminum seems the most economical and durable for the money. Steel would be more durable/secure, but it's way more expensive. Poly is just plain out. I don't know if shopping by what guage the metal is would be something worth considering.

Depth - this is the main point I can't decide on. I want the deeper box, but I'm not convinced. It seems being able to slide lumber and whatnot under the box and have it rest on the tailgate when it's up would be good. I'm not sure I could do that with the deep box. The extra storage space might be worth the trade-off though.

Price - I see a lot that I like priced from $250 - $400, so I'd like to stay in that range.

Any input would be appreciated, especially features I haven't thought of and brands to avoid.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had tried different ones on a Tacoma I used to have. I found a single lid with the key and handles on the side to be the most advantageous. You pay a lot more for a deep box, up to you if it is worth it or not. With a deep box in a tall truck you may not be able to reach the bottom of a deep one from the side. Some boxes are taller over the rails to which I liked to protect the rear window, also a lot more storage under the box.
Something else, my dad has a spray in liner that added enough thickness that he can't fit his old box in anymore. Something to consider when measuring.

Unfortunately none of them are really cheap, but some are "cheaper" as in the strength/puncture resistance of the aluminum. If you only carry tarps in it, shouldn't matter, but if you will carry things like tools or anything with any kind of weight that may intentionally/accidentally get thrown or dropped into the box, the strength will pay off. I like the single lid best also, but ended up getting an aluminum gull wing for my Silverado because it's a stepside and it's the first one I ran across. And Patton makes a good point about the measuring, 1/8 inch can make or break if you put a liner in it down the road.

...You pay a lot more for a deep box, up to you if it is worth it or not. With a deep box in a tall truck you may not be able to reach the bottom of a deep one from the side....

With a single lid, I'd have to be in the bed to unlock it and open it anyway, right? I can reach over the side of the bed and just touch the bed (if I tip toe). Assuming the inside floor of a deep box is a couple inches off the bed, I may be able to reach the bottom.

...Some boxes are taller over the rails to which I liked to protect the rear window, also a lot more storage under the box....

Does that affect your visibility when backing up? If not, I like this idea too. Of course this means no way I can reach in when standing beside the truck, though.

How about a slide out box on rails. It was my favorite option on the Nissan Frontier, but I went with an F-150 instead.

I really like this box, but it's a modular system and would run close to $1K installed...screw that.
RollerBoxComplete1.jpg

Edited by BigK
I have had two different brand.

The first was a deep bottom Kobalt with a coffin type lid and push button open. This box was really just too big, I ended up just accumulating junk and anything that went in the bed could barely slide underneath. I wouldn't get another push button open either, once it got some age it wouldn't operate without constant lubrication.

The one I have now is a shallow bottom and low profile lid from tractor supply. This one has the black paint coating. I bought this in hopes of cutting down on the aluminum dust that gets on everything. It did help some but dust still accumulates. I wouldn't buy another all aluminum one, it ruined a lot of stuff with the dust. Mainly from the plastic tool tray sliding back and forth. If I got one the tool tray would come out and I would spay the inside with the DIY bed liner spay.

All-in-all I'd buy another black low pro from tractor supply. It's been a solid box.

With a single lid, I'd have to be in the bed to unlock it and open it anyway, right? I can reach over the side of the bed and just touch the bed (if I tip toe). Assuming the inside floor of a deep box is a couple inches off the bed, I may be able to reach the bottom.

Does that affect your visibility when backing up? If not, I like this idea too. Of course this means no way I can reach in when standing beside the truck, though.

No you can open a single lid from the side. You only have to pull one latch, I'm guessing that is why you asked. I too will stay away from the they button, get a latch and preferably on the side.

The tallest box I could find only came about half way up the rear window on my Tacoma. It helps protect the window from a lot and makes it a little darker inside the truck. It does not block your backing up ability, I can still see the top of the tailgate from th mirror or turning around.
Great stuff guys, thanks! I didn't think about the latch mechanism at all and wouldn't have guessed you could open the lid from the side.<br /><br />I tools some measurements earlier and compared them to some specs online. Seems most lids are around 5" above the bed rails. So I cut a board that wide to see if I'd be able to reach in from the side...no go. I'll have to get a low profile lid.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the low profile. Unless you plan on packing lots of crap in there you can fit quite a bit.What type of truck do you have?

I have a F-150 SuperCrew w/ a 5.5' bed.

If I can fit a rifle, 3-day backpack, tent, sleeping bag, a few tools, and maybe a case of water, I'll be happy.
They are above your price range but you might look at Weather Guard boxes. I've got three, the oldest one was bought in '97. It still works great for us. The only sign of age is the aluminum has faded. They are very rigid, you close it on one side and the other side always latches. When I need another one they are the only brand I will consider.
I looked up some really nice boxes, like Weather Guard, but wow, they're really proud of them. Some were $800 or more. If I could spend that much I'd get a sliding box or this one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOq3wpNsLic&sns=em[/media]

I'm guessing some of the low profile boxes are longer (front to back) than standard boxes, if they hit the wheel well? The only 2 I've seen so far were the same length as the others, but they don't stick up as far over the rails (meaning a little less storage, but that's worth it).

I have the chest type, and I really like it.  I did not think I would like it, but I bought because I got a good deal on it.  Now, I am thankful that I got it instead of the type that sit on the rails.  It makes it easier to reach into it, it does not block the rear window at all, it holds more than the other type, and it does not scratch up your bed rails.  If you are worried about bed space, the only thing that other are good for are allowing a bunch of trash and crap to blow up under them.  No matter which you go with, you will loose bed space.  However, what you need to realize is that the space you will save by not having a chest will still be essentially lost, so it would be better used if incorperated into your box.  Lastly, no matter what you get, you'll forever wish it held more stuff.

I got one for my F150 at Tractor Supply.  It is deep, single lid, and is painted flat black...it actually looks awesome with my deep blue F150.  I can open the single lid from either side and it locks from the driver's side with a key.  Simple to install and bolt down with J-hooks to the side rails.  I don't remember how much it cost, but probably $200-$300.  I've had it for almost a year now and it still looks new...and it is packed full of stuff (tools, axe, hard hat, jumper cables, etc).  Best wishes, B

a standard type tool box will not block any view out of your rear view mirror.

My box is fourteen years old and sits about five inches over the top of the bed.  It did not block and sight lines on my old '99 Ford and does not block anything in the '13.

Idk if you'd be interested, but I have one somewhere I'd give ya. I had it in the back of my truck when I let someone borrow to move. They took the box out and I've since then sold the truck..... It older, black and of the gull wing variety. Ill have to see where they put it and what condition it's still in if you're interested. I had used it for the metal detector, tow ropes, emergency bag, jumper cables, my softball gear and my red Ryder... It might be like Christmas when I get it back......