Local news - Officers can't get enough ammo for training

Don't know if this has been posted, but in local news, it appears that LEO can't get enough ammo to train regularly.  Due to the shortage and high prices, our local LEOs are having trouble finding adequate supplies or reasonably priced ammo.

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/Law-Enforcement-Ammo-Issues/tJWpqzXKVkiq9IkE-hU94g.cspx

One thing I wish would happen is for our police and sheriff departments to start raising immortal hell at our politicians, and tell them to knock this $hit off.  The run on ammo and firearms didn't occur until our politicians started running their mouths.

I know officer Haskins (great guy), and I sympathize with our local LEOs.  However, I don't want to give any preference to our LEOs over private individuals/businesses.  I hope we can keep this market truly free where everyone has equal opportunity.  The last thing I want to happen is for some politician to get it in their head that they can solve this problem by rationing or restricting individuals purchases. 

Guest HvyMtl

Write the ammo manufacturers, ask them to NOT sell to State Police, and Cities going against the 2nd A.  See if you can get friends to do so.  Make it so they cannot get ammo. Then see if there is any change...

These ammo makers need to run those factories 7 days a week on 3 shifts.

They already are.  But it isn't that easy to ramp up production.  They have to buy more raw materials as well.  Copper, lead, and other metals usually have a pretty good lead time for the quantities required.  Powder and primer production have to be increased as well. 

A normal production line can push out 70,000rds a day, which sounds like a lot.  And most large manufacturers have several production lines.  Several years ago, Remington said that it's not economical to make fewer than 1million rounds of a given caliber and load.  That means a dedicated line running for two weeks.  Then, it takes time to change over to another load.  Remington also said in the same article that they schedule their production 9-12 months out.  I'd be surprised if the other major manufacturers were any different.

What it all boils down to is that it will take a while for things to get back to normal.  I would expect importers to try and get more Aguila, S&B, PPU, Tula, Wolf and other popular imported ammo into the US as soon as possible.  But importing isn't a fast process either!

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR
The ones having no reason for existence get all
they want, and a local PD or Sheriff's dept can't
get any. More than a little bit wrong with that.

I would assume the ammo companies will prioritze its customers as follows:

1.) Federal Government

2.) State Government

3.) Local County/City Government

4.) Large non-government contracts

5.) Large consumer box stores

6.) Large internet sales stores

7.) Local Gun Stores

8.) Anyone else not mentioned

Though the consumer market is likely the elephant in the room, however the government and other supply contracts are likely very consistent and can be relied upon steadily. The consumer market is more volitile and less consistent long term. If I am accurate, I would say this priority is the reason why 22 is so short. I would think that the brass sheeting suppliers out there (probably isn't too many, I would guess less than 5), are probably dedicating their brass sheeting production in the same manner to the casing stamping companies who are probably following the same priority. Thus less components for 22LR and more for government 40, 45, 9mm, 223, etc. Just my guess though.

Edited by Runco

They already are.  But it isn't that easy to ramp up production.  They have to buy more raw materials as well.  Copper, lead, and other metals usually have a pretty good lead time for the quantities required.  Powder and primer production have to be increased as well. 

A normal production line can push out 70,000rds a day, which sounds like a lot.  And most large manufacturers have several production lines.  Several years ago, Remington said that it's not economical to make fewer than 1million rounds of a given caliber and load.  That means a dedicated line running for two weeks.  Then, it takes time to change over to another load.  Remington also said in the same article that they schedule their production 9-12 months out.  I'd be surprised if the other major manufacturers were any different.

What it all boils down to is that it will take a while for things to get back to normal.  I would expect importers to try and get more Aguila, S&B, PPU, Tula, Wolf and other popular imported ammo into the US as soon as possible.  But importing isn't a fast process either!

And meanwhile Tula is loading 115 gr 9mm   230 45 ACP and 124 AK round and 55 or 62 AR rounds as fast as they can.

I don't see any reason the big makers wouldn't change around production to the big sellers commercially and make bank! 

Well this wont be the last ammo surge. These companies and their partners need to get together and come up with a plan that can produce enough ammo for future demands.

It appears they need stock piles big enough for a year , plus what they produce on thier lines. I know most businesses grow when they cant meet demand.

4-5 years from now this shouldnt be an issue.