Cable modem - router questions

Hey guys I've got a question I was hoping to get some opinions.   Currently my DSL internet is the fastest rate for my address and it's not meeting our needs anymore.  I'll be going the cable internet route and will be supplying my own modem.   My current DSL modem ports are such that I can't use it for my wireless network once I go to the cable service.  

My question is this, should I get a combined cable modem and router or go with separate devices?   Obviously the cheaper route is to get a combined unit but will I be giving up any quality of the wireless signal, etc.  One other comment is I'm looking for a pretty strong wireless signal.   I'm looking to kick the signal to my back porch and my current signal isn't quite strong enough so I was already having to consider a wireless extender since my router is turned up to full power.  I'm guessing one obvious advantage of a combined unit is no weird compatibility problems between the two.    Looking for opinions on which is the better route to take considering my needs.    (Not sure if this is like, "which is the best computer to get" type of question or not.)

Finally, is it important to plan ahead and get one that is IPv6 capable or does it really matter for the next several years?    The reason I ask is, it looks like quite a few on the combined modem/routers aren't IPv6 yet so my choices narrow if I need to have that capability assuming that's the preferred route to take.      

Thanks.

If you have the cash, go the dedicated route.  Get a V3 cable modem from Comcast's approved list.  Make sure it is the latest V3 to maximize your speed.  Next, get the Asus RT-AC66R.  This router is amazing.  I've got more than fifteen wireless signals coming from neighbors that are close enough to cause a problem.  My last router kept dropping the signal or it crawled.  We run netflix to three rooms, plus lots of multiplayer, and it was painful and frustrating.  I got the Asus, and it is powerful!  My signal is through the roof now.

• Like 1

If you have the cash, go the dedicated route.  Get a V3 cable modem from Comcast's approved list.  Make sure it is the latest V3 to maximize your speed.  Next, get the Asus RT-AC66R.  This router is amazing.  I've got more than fifteen wireless signals coming from neighbors that are close enough to cause a problem.  My last router kept dropping the signal or it crawled.  We run netflix to three rooms, plus lots of multiplayer, and it was painful and frustrating.  I got the Asus, and it is powerful!  My signal is through the roof now.

I noticed after I posted. Yes on the Asus RT-AC66R. That's what I bought too. Link in my last post.

• Like 1

Thanks on the suggestions so far.   That Asus router is more $ than I hoped to spend but if the signal strength super then it might be a cost wash by eliminating the need to get an extender for a less powerful router.   If I'm still looking at having to get an extender even for the Asus to get the signal outside to my porch, then is it really worth the extra cost in your opinion?   

The dude at comcast told me the combined ones are the way to go. I am looking for one myself. 

Most people that work at Comcast are idiots.

I prefer to keep them separate. Usually it will cost less. Want to upgrade your home WiFi to the new standard? Buy the router. Want to upgrade to new DOCSIS standard? Buy a new modem.

I use an Asus RT-N66u router and Motorola SB6141 cable modem. The Asus AC unit came out just a couple months after I bought the N66u. Don't have any AC WiFi cards at the moment anyway.

Edited by JeffL
  • Like 3

+1 on what Jeff said

If you are just looking for a general use plug n play router, any of the name brand ones will work.  I am 100% against combo units; just like the old tv's with vcr's built in, if the vcr breaks, you've lost your tv as well and vice versa.

Surfboard's are top notch, probably the industry standard for translational bridges (yeah there's no such thing as a cable modem; it's actually a bridge).

Personally I use the Netgear N900, it gives full strength in a 1200 sq ft apartment, and it is in the corner of a shelf in a far room.  It also goes outside the building (is not near a window either), about 100 feet away up to the garages.  Signal isn't great, but it does stay connected.

Thanks for the responses.  Based on this I will definitely be going with separate devices.  

I believe I'll be going with the Motorola SB6141 modem.   Still researching the router to buy.   I've put the Asus unit you guys have recommended above along with one recommended through a PM on my list so far.   Is it correct to assume units that have external antennas should provide more signal coverage/strength compared to internal ones?   Logic tells me this but that might not be true since it still comes down to power of signal being produced by the router.   Is there a specification term/number I can look for to help compare signal strength between routers?

Thanks for the responses.  Based on this I will definitely be going with separate devices.  

I believe I'll be going with the Motorola SB6141 modem.   Still researching the router to buy.   I've put the Asus unit you guys have recommended above along with one recommended through a PM on my list so far.   Is it correct to assume units that have external antennas should provide more signal coverage/strength compared to internal ones?   Logic tells me this but that might not be true since it still comes down to power of signal being produced by the router.   Is there a specification term/number I can look for to help compare signal strength between routers?

The Asus has 3 external antennas. It also has a USB port so you can attach a USB hard drive and use it as a file server. FWIW, I replaced real Cisco (not Linksys) gear with mine, and have been real happy with it.

Edited by mikegideon

I bought a Zoom modem 2-3 years ago.  They were rated highly and were cheaper than Motorola.  That alone doubled my internet speed.  As far as a router goes like previously stated, it does no good to buy the latest WIFI technology if you don't have the adapters to use the speed.  You can save money by buying what the router that matches your adapters unless you plan on spending the money to upgrade those as well.  I have an old Linksys 802.11G router and the signal strength is fine all over my property even outside. 

it does no good to buy the latest WIFI technology if you don't have the adapters to use the speed.  You can save money by buying what the router that matches your adapters unless you plan on spending the money to upgrade those as well.  

Please clarify what you mean by the word "adapters" since I'm not that familiar with computer networks.   By chance do you mean the electronic devices that are using the network?  

Please clarify what you mean by the word "adapters" since I'm not that familiar with computer networks.   By chance do you mean the electronic devices that are using the network?  

He's talking about the wireless adapters in the computers. Fact is though, when it comes to computer gear, it doesn't pay to buy old technology. The computer industry works real hard making things obsolete. An example... Comcast is getting ready to stop supporting DOCSIS 1 modems. There will come a time, real soon, when they just stop working.

I went through 3 laptops over the life of my last network infrastructure gear. The newest wifi standard will probably show up in your next machine. That machine is gonna cost lots more than a router. Me... I would be pissed if that new machine had to throttle back because of old infrastructure.

• Like 1

I'd go separate.  In fact, I'd probably get the modem from Comcast.  If there are modem issues, they're Comcast's.  If you own the modem and it has issues, they're yours.  All assuming the proper quality of signal is there.  Of course, I don't know if Comcast charges for the modem.  That is a consideration.  I know of other providers that provide the modem as part of the service.  There's good advice on routers in previous posts. 

• Like 1

Comcast charges for the modem. I had a rental in the past, but like the fact that I can hit walmart and get my internet back up after hours.

I'd rather buy one outright than pay $7/month to rent one. This also gives me a choice in what modem I get, not just take what the guy has on his truck that day. I had a junk RCA modem before I bought my own (SB5120, then SB6141). I worked Comcast tech support a few years back, the Motorola modems seem to be less problematic than most. Linksys ones weren't very common then.

I'm running a Motorola SB 6120 modem with a WRT-54g router flashed with DD-WRTv23.x, It's on a battery backup and last I checked had an uptime approaching 2 years. The router's built in Wi-fi is off and it feeds my wired home network which has WAPs plugged in where needed. For WAPs I currently have an apple airport express at each end of the house supporting both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks covering the entire property.

In essence, I'm with the crew saying to keep the modem and router seperate, in my case I even seperated the WAPs so I can upgrade them more frequently as needed for either better coverage or new technologies.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

I'm running a Motorola SB 6120 modem with a WRT-54g router flashed with DD-WRTv23.x, It's on a battery backup and last I checked had an uptime approaching 2 years. The router's built in Wi-fi is off and it feeds my wired home network which has WAPs plugged in where needed. For WAPs I currently have an apple airport express at each end of the house supporting both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks covering the entire property.

In essence, I'm with the crew saying to keep the modem and router seperate, in my case I even seperated the WAPs so I can upgrade them more frequently as needed for either better coverage or new technologies.

That's another good way to do it if you have a sprawling house. I have a few ethernet drops, and some machines are wired.

BTW... the Asus will also work as a print server for a USB printer.